Sponsored Content
Top Forums Programming Why this const variable is not changing even after applying const_cast? Post 302517939 by royalibrahim on Thursday 28th of April 2011 08:46:11 AM
Old 04-28-2011
Why this const variable is not changing even after applying const_cast?

Hi

In the following code, why the variable 'i' still retains the value 10 instead of 11? Why it is not possible to alter this variable's value?
Code:
int main() {
    const int i = 10;
    *(const_cast<int*>(&i)) = 11;
    cout << i << endl;  // Ans: 10
}

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

IFS changing the variable value

Hi, I have a while read loop that reads files in a directory and process. The files have spaces in between, so I have the IFS=\n to to read the whole line as one file name. The read works fine but I have a problem with another variable that I set in the beginning of the script. The variable... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: pvar
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Changing a variable Question

I have a variable: $FILENAME = /XXXX/XXXX/XXXX/file.dat I want to set another variable that will give me this: $FILENAME2=filea.dat So basically i'm chopping up variable $FILENAME. Not sure cut will do this as i'm looking at different directories so the characther length may be... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Pablo_beezo
2 Replies

3. Programming

C++ type-casting a member variable in const methods

Is it permitted to type-cast a member variable passed in as a parameter in a member const method .. I am doing something like : in a return-type method () const { variable other = long(member variable) } this other assigned variable is not updating and I wonder if type-casting in such... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: shriyer123
1 Replies

4. Programming

const_cast confusion

See code below. It appears that i and j inhabit the same address yet hold different values. Can anyone shed light on this? int main() { const int i= 3; int* j = const_cast<int*>(&i); *j = 5; cout << j << endl << &i << endl; cout << *j << endl << i; } (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: StuartH
4 Replies

5. Programming

C++ program is crashing on re-assigning const static member variable using an int pointer

Hi, Can any one tell me why my following program is crashing? #include <iostream> using namespace std; class CA { public: const static int i; }; const int CA::i = 10; int main() { int* pi = const_cast<int*>(&CA::i); *pi = 9; cout << CA::i << endl; } (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: royalibrahim
6 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Changing variable name in for loop

Hi All please help if possible. I am a Unix novice. I have a similar question to the one posted by yonderboy at about a year ago. However his solution does not work for me. The pseudo code for my problem is as follows: for fund in 1 2 3 4 if (FTP is successfully) then FILE_SENT_fund... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Seether
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Changing the variable using awk?

Dear all, I have kind of used both the awk/sed command and found them really useful. But at the necessity I am having right now, I need help. Actually, I would like to do the following in file script.sh PATH535="/eos/uscms/store/user/pooja04//analysis2012/535/mc/summer12/002/tt/" ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: emily
2 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Getting input and changing variable?

Hi I am new to scripting and have a function in my .sh script file that outputs a html radio button form weather_forecast_config() { echo "" echo "<html><head><title>Welcome</title></head>" echo "<body>" echo "<h2>Weather Forecast - Change City</h2>" echo "<form name="input"... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: scriptnewbie
5 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Changing Path Variable

Blank Blank Blank (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: pvibien
11 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Applying sed against a file from a list of values stored in a variable

Hi Forum. I have the following challenge at work that I need to write a script for. I have a file abc.txt with the following contents: 4560123456 4570987654 4580654321 I want to be able to search/replace in abc.txt - the first 4 characters anything starting with 4560 to 7777; 4570... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: pchang
3 Replies
Tcl_UpVar(3)						      Tcl Library Procedures						      Tcl_UpVar(3)

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

NAME
Tcl_UpVar, Tcl_UpVar2 - link one variable to another SYNOPSIS
#include <tcl.h> int Tcl_UpVar(interp, frameName, sourceName, destName, flags) int Tcl_UpVar2(interp, frameName, name1, name2, destName, flags) ARGUMENTS
Tcl_Interp *interp (in) Interpreter containing variables; also used for error reporting. const char *frameName (in) Identifies the stack frame containing source variable. May have any of the forms accepted by the upvar command, such as #0 or 1. const char *sourceName (in) Name of source variable, in the frame given by frameName. May refer to a scalar variable or to an array variable with a parenthesized index. const char *destName (in) Name of destination variable, which is to be linked to source variable so that references to destName refer to the other variable. Must not currently exist except as an upvar-ed variable. int flags (in) One of TCL_GLOBAL_ONLY, TCL_NAMESPACE_ONLY or 0; if non-zero, then destName is a global or namespace variable; otherwise it is local to the current procedure (or current namespace if no procedure is active). const char *name1 (in) First part of source variable's name (scalar name, or name of array without array index). const char *name2 (in) If source variable is an element of an array, gives the index of the element. For scalar source vari- ables, is NULL. _________________________________________________________________ DESCRIPTION
Tcl_UpVar and Tcl_UpVar2 provide the same functionality as the upvar command: they make a link from a source variable to a destination variable, so that references to the destination are passed transparently through to the source. The name of the source variable may be specified either as a single string such as xyx or a(24) (by calling Tcl_UpVar) or in two parts where the array name has been separated from the element name (by calling Tcl_UpVar2). The destination variable name is specified in a single string; it may not be an array ele- ment. Both procedures return either TCL_OK or TCL_ERROR, and they leave an error message in the interpreter's result if an error occurs. As with the upvar command, the source variable need not exist; if it does exist, unsetting it later does not destroy the link. The desti- nation variable may exist at the time of the call, but if so it must exist as a linked variable. KEYWORDS
linked variable, upvar, variable Tcl 7.4 Tcl_UpVar(3)