Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting ksh - for loop with variables Post 302517847 by rdcwayx on Thursday 28th of April 2011 02:02:38 AM
Old 04-28-2011
Code:
for i in `seq 1 $variable`
do
 sed  -n ''$i',$p'  text.txt
 echo "send mail....."
done

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

variables in ksh

I'm new to unix scripting. How would I go about pulling the first 3 characters from a variable in ksh and storing in another variable? Thanks. (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: steve6368
9 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Ksh - Env. Variables ??

Hey all, I have been using Ksh and in that I am setting Environment variables. To set Env. Variables I have created my own file "BuildScript.sh" in which i have written : export CLASSPATH=/somedir/some other dir/file:. export PATH=/some dir/file:. But when i am calling this... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: varungupta
4 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

subtracting variables in ksh

hi all, how do i subract variables in shell ?? am trying to space out the headers and the output generated by the shell so they all line up : currently the output is like this : servers : users server1 : 10 latestServer : 50 so i thought... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: cesarNZ
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Is there a better way I could have run this loop. (For loop with two variables)

Sorry for such a dreadful title, but I'm not sure how to be more descriptive. I'm hoping some of the more gurutastic out there can take a look at a solution I came up with to a problem, and advice if there are better ways to have gone about it. To make a long story short around 20K pieces of... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: DeCoTwc
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Using variables created sequentially in a loop while still inside of the loop [bash]

I'm trying to understand if it's possible to create a set of variables that are numbered based on another variable (using eval) in a loop, and then call on it before the loop ends. As an example I've written a script called question (The fist command is to show what is the contents of the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: DeCoTwc
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to preserve NL in Ksh variables?

I'm trying to set a variable to the output of a command. This is what the comand output to the display looks like: />hciconndump -v TOsiu Dump of connection(s): TOsiu ---------------------------------------------------------------------- Process: A60Tsiu Connection: TOsiu... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: troym72
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Loop to define variables in KSH

Hi, I am trying to use a database to store configurations in an environment definition scripts to make the configurations easily modifiable. (long story short - it is an easier process to make changes in the db than trying to deploy a file). The values will be stored in the database in the... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: gbala
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help cannot concatenate Ksh variables ?

Cannot combine these two strings into one line, either as a 3rd variable or echo or printing ? Frustrating. for i in `cat /scripts/pathList.dat` do OldRepo= grep Oldhostname ${i}/.svn/entries | tail -1 NewRepo= grep Oldhostname ${i}/.svn/entries | tail -1 | sed '/Oldhostname/... (41 Replies)
Discussion started by: pcpinkerton
41 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Formating variables in KSH

Hi Friends , I want to know how to format the output for the following: i searched in the forum and couldnt get the exact requirement. Thanks in advance . (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: i150371485
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

ksh While Loop - passing variables to functions

I'm reading a text file using a while loop but when I call a function from within this loop it exits that same iteration … even though there are many more lines in the file to be read. I thought it was something to do with the IFS setting but it appears that a function call (when run... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: user052009
3 Replies
break(1)							   User Commands							  break(1)

NAME
break, continue - shell built-in functions to escape from or advance within a controlling while, for, foreach, or until loop SYNOPSIS
sh break [n] continue [n] csh break continue ksh *break [n] *continue [n] DESCRIPTION
sh The break utility exits from the enclosing for or while loop, if any. If n is specified, break n levels. The continue utility resumes the next iteration of the enclosing for or while loop. If n is specified, resume at the n-th enclosing loop. csh The break utility resumes execution after the end of the nearest enclosing foreach or while loop. The remaining commands on the current line are executed. This allows multilevel breaks to be written as a list of break commands, all on one line. The continue utility continues execution of the next iteration of the nearest enclosing while or foreach loop. ksh The break utility exits from the enclosed for, while, until, or select loop, if any. If n is specified, then break n levels. If n is greater than the number of enclosing loops, the outermost enclosing loop shall be exited. The continue utility resumes the next iteration of the enclosed for, while, until, or select loop. If n is specified then resume at the n- th enclosed loop. If n is greater than the number of enclosing loops, the outermost enclosing loop shall be used. On this man page, ksh(1) commands that are preceded by one or two * (asterisks) are treated specially in the following ways: 1. Variable assignment lists preceding the command remain in effect when the command completes. 2. I/O redirections are processed after variable assignments. 3. Errors cause a script that contains them to abort. 4. Words that follow a command preceded by ** that are in the format of a variable assignment are expanded with the same rules as a vari- able assignment. This means that tilde substitution is performed after the = sign, and also that word splitting and file name genera- tion are not performed. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWcsu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
csh(1), exit(1), ksh(1), sh( 1), attributes(5) SunOS 5.10 17 Jul 2002 break(1)