Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting include file name to extracted files Post 302517732 by miss_dodi on Wednesday 27th of April 2011 03:06:03 PM
Old 04-27-2011
Thank you for your response.
I think i didnt explain what i need clearly,
I have 145 directories each one has many files,
for example one of the directories is
ClassA that has grade.txt subjects.txt courses.txt description.xml
i want to have one file called ClassA.txt that contanis all the contents of grade.txt , subject.txt , courses.txt
and each part in ClassA.txt should have comment '//' and the file name
i.e
ClassA.txt
would be like
//grade.txt
[content of grade .txt]
// subject.txt
[content of subject.txt]
and so forth

what i've managed to do so far is
Code:
#!/bin/sh
system='/home/path/to/first/directory'
for txtfile in `find ${system} | grep "\.txt"'$'` ; do
#echo $txtfile 
cat $txtfile | `find ${system} -name '*.txt'`  >  ClassA.txt
done

i dont want to display the path of $txtfile as shown in the code above rather i would like to append the vale of $txtfile before each .txt file

unfortunately the code above isnt working, am getting permession denied error!

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

To send an email with the body content extracted from a file

Hi, I have been trying to shoot an email with the email body to be obtained from a file. Can someone please help me with it.. I have been trying to use the MAILX commad for the same. mailx -s "test email" -r sender@test.com < file.txt but it sends the file as an attachment,while i... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: rohit.shetty84
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Error running a .sh script when extracted from a jar file.

I am trying to run a script called install.sh as follows: I get a jar file, and extract it using the command: unzip filename.jar -D path/to/files then I navigate to that directory where I extracted the files, and run the command: sh install.sh (where install.sh is one of the files... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: albert_newton
12 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

make file (include files path)

Hi All, In make file i want to include header files from my local directory and if it did not find in local directory i want to include from network directory. can any help me how i can do this?. here is the code INCLUDE=${include}/ this is point to network dir how i can add option that it... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: goraya430
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Make new files based on the number extracted

Hi All, I have a big file which looks like this: 0 4.5 6.7 0 3.4 6 1 5 6 1 6 4 2 9 4.44 Above is just a miniature version of the file. In fact, considering the first column of the file that is 0 0 1 1 2, the numbers in actual go until 10442. This means my actual file looks like... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: shoaibjameel123
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

unrar - get the name of extracted file

If I have a script that is using unrar e file.part1.rar How does the script get the name of the extracted file if I don't know the extension of the file? In my example the name would be file.***, but I wouldn't know the extension. ---------- Post updated at 05:13 PM ---------- Previous... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: locoroco
0 Replies

6. Programming

[Solved] Cannot execute file that include files

Iam trying to execute a file that include many files but it seems my main copy.c can't read anyone of them ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Copy.c #include <sys/stat.h> #include <fcntl.h> #include "tlpi_hdr.h" #ifndef BUF_SIZE /*... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: fwrlfo
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Request for advise on how to remove control characters in a UNIX file extracted from top command

Hi, Please excuse for posting new thread on control characters, I am facing some difficulties in removing the control character from a file extracted from top command, i am able to see control characters using more command and in vi mode, through cat control characters are not visible ... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: karthikram
8 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Store the name of an extracted file to a temp file

What would be the best way to store the name of an extracted file from a tar to a text file? I want to extract one file from a tar and store the name of the extracted file to a temp file. tar -xvf tar_file.tar file_to_be_extracted (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: erin00
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Compare two unsorted unequal files extracted from xml

I have two files for comparison which are extracts from set of xml files. file1 has: Comparing File: BRCSH1to320140224CC3.xml :: TZZZ:BR :: TAZZ:OUT UIZZ:0 :: ERAZ:1.000000 UIZZ:0 :: CTZZ:B UIZZ:0 :: CCAZ:MYR Comparing File: BRMY20140224CC18REG013SPFNSY13.xml :: TZZZ:BR :: TAZZ:INB... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: vamsi gunda
1 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Add coordinates to line of output extracted from input file

I am trying to compare/confirm the output of an script using the perl below, which does execute. However I can not seem to print $1 and $2 in each line of the input separated by a tab in each line of the output. The input file is quite large so I have only included a portion, but the format is the... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: cmccabe
0 Replies
PARALLEL-SLURP(1)														 PARALLEL-SLURP(1)

NAME
parallel-slurp - copy files from listed hosts SYNOPSIS
parallel-slurp [OPTIONS] -h hosts.txt -L destdir remote local DESCRIPTION
pssh provides a number of commands for executing against a group of computers, using SSH. It's most useful for operating on clusters of homogenously-configured hosts. parallel-slurp gathers specified files from hosts you listed. OPTIONS
-r --recursive recusively copy directories (OPTIONAL) -L --localdir output directory for remote file copies -h --hosts hosts file (each line "host[:port] [user]") -l --user username (OPTIONAL) -p --par max number of parallel threads (OPTIONAL) -o --outdir output directory for stdout files (OPTIONAL) -e --errdir output directory for stderr files (OPTIONAL) -t --timeout timeout (secs) (-1 = no timeout) per host (OPTIONAL) -O --options SSH options (OPTIONAL) -v --verbose turn on warning and diagnostic messages (OPTIONAL) EXAMPLE
An example to copy /home/irb2/foo.txt from each host. Files gathered will be stored in /tmp/outdir/hostname/foo.txt. # prallel-slurp -h hosts.txt -L /tmp/outdir -l irb2 /home/irb2/foo.txt foo.txt ENVIRONMENT
All four programs take similar sets of options. All of these options can be set using the following environment variables: o PSSH_HOSTS o PSSH_USER o PSSH_PAR o PSSH_OUTDIR o PSSH_VERBOSE o PSSH_OPTIONS SEE ALSO
parallel-ssh(1), parallel-scp(1), parallel-nuke(1), parallel-rsync(1), ssh(1) AUTHOR
Brent N. Chun <bnc@theether.org> COPYING
Copyright: 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007 Brent N. Chun NOTES
1. bnc@theether.org mailto:bnc@theether.org 03/30/2009 PARALLEL-SLURP(1)