Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Shell variable scoping
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Shell variable scoping Post 302517723 by stevensw on Wednesday 27th of April 2011 02:42:30 PM
Old 04-27-2011
Shell variable scoping

This may be a stupid question, but was wondering if it is possible to make a variable local to a particular script and invisible to an external script that may source the script where it is defined? Thanks as always

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

ksh/Linux: Variable scoping issue? Pl. help!

user_account() { set -x nodename=$1 # set userid to user0 userid="user0" echo outside:pid $$ cat $MY_DIR/user_accounts | while read line do # line="node1 user1" echo inside do: pid $$ line:$line userid:$userid poss_node=`echo $line |awk '{print $1}'`... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jasmeet100
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

set variable with another variable? c shell

okay, this shouldn't be difficult but I can't figure it out. How can I set a variable with another variable. I have the following: foreach pe ($dir $sp) set tpe = `echo $pe | grep M` if ($tpe == M) then set ${$pe} = M <--- This doesn't work else endif end In this case what... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: wxornot
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Enviornment Variable in B shell (I call it nested variable)

#!/bin/sh APP_ROOT_MODE1=/opt/app1.0 APP_ROOT_MODE2=/opt/app2.0 APP_ROOT=${APP_ROOT_${APP_MODE}} # enviornment variable APP_MODE will be exported in the terminal where # we run the applciation, its value is string - MODE1 or MODE2 # My intension is: # when export APP_MODE=MODE1... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: princelinux
4 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

I can't stop the scoping problem (perl)

I hate to post something so n00bish, but I'm pretty n00bish when it comes to perl so here it goes: $var=1; while(1){ if ($var == 2){ last; } $var=2; } works the way I intend it to, breaking the infinite loop after the first time through, but: (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: thmnetwork
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

assign awk's variable to shell script's variable?

Dear All, we have a command output which looks like : Total 200 queues in 30000 Kbytes and we're going to get "200" and "30000" for further process. currently, i'm using : numA=echo $OUTPUT | awk '{print $2}' numB=echo $OUTPUT | awk '{print $5}' my question is : can I use just one... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: tiger2000
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell assign variable to another variable

How can I assign a variable to an variable. IE $car=honda One way I can do it is export $car=honda or let $car=2323 Is there any other ways to preform this task (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: 3junior
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Not able to store command inside a shell variable, and run the variable

Hi, I am trying to do the following thing var='date' $var Above command substitutes date for and in turn runs the date command and i am getting the todays date value. I am trying to do the same thing as following, but facing some problems, unique_host_pro="sed -e ' /#/d'... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: gvinayagam
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

[SHELL: /bin/sh] For loop using variable variable names

Simple enough problem I think, I just can't seem to get it right. The below doesn't work as intended, it's just a function defined in a much larger script: CheckValues() { for field in \ Group_ID \ Group_Title \ Rule_ID \ Rule_Severity \ ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Vryali
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash - concatenate string - strange variable scoping

Hello, I am trying to concatenate a string in a bash script like this: runCmd="docker run -e \"IMAGE_NAME=$IMAGE_NAME\" " env | grep "$ENV_SUFFIX" | while read line; do envCmd="-e \"${line}\" " runCmd=$runCmd$envCmd echo $runCmd # here concatenation works fine done echo... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: czabak
3 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

How can I assign awk's variable to shell script's variable?

I have the following script, and I want to assign the output ($10 and $5) from awk to N and L: grdinfo data.grd | awk '{print $10,$5}'| read N L output from gridinfo data.grd is: data.grd 50 100 41 82 -2796 6944 0.016 0.016 3001 2461. where N and L is suppose to be 3001 and 100. I use... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: geomarine
8 Replies
SCRIPT(1)						    BSD General Commands Manual 						 SCRIPT(1)

NAME
script -- make typescript of terminal session SYNOPSIS
script [-adfpqr] [-c command] [file] DESCRIPTION
script makes a typescript of everything printed on your terminal. It is useful for students who need a hardcopy record of an interactive session as proof of an assignment, as the typescript file can be printed out later with lpr(1). If the argument file is given, script saves all dialogue in file. If no file name is given, the typescript is saved in the file typescript. Option: -a Append the output to file or typescript, retaining the prior contents. -c command Run the named command instead of the shell. Useful for capturing the output of a program that behaves differently when associated with a tty. -d When playing back a session with the -p flag, don't sleep between records when playing back a timestamped session. -f Flush output after each write. This is useful for watching the script output in real time. -p Play back a session recorded with the -r flag in real time. -q Be quiet, and don't output started and ended lines. -r Record a session with input, output, and timestamping. The script ends when the forked shell exits (a control-D to exit the Bourne shell (sh(1)), and exit, logout or control-d (if ignoreeof is not set) for the C-shell, csh(1)). Certain interactive commands, such as vi(1), create garbage in the typescript file. script works best with commands that do not manipulate the screen, the results are meant to emulate a hardcopy terminal. ENVIRONMENT
The following environment variable is used by script: SHELL If the variable SHELL exists, the shell forked by script will be that shell. If SHELL is not set, the Bourne shell is assumed. (Most shells set this variable automatically). SEE ALSO
csh(1) (for the history mechanism). HISTORY
The script command appeared in 3.0BSD. BUGS
script places everything in the log file, including linefeeds and backspaces. This is not what the naive user expects. BSD
October 17, 2009 BSD