Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Script to find the top 100 most popular pages Post 302517683 by DGPickett on Wednesday 27th of April 2011 12:39:45 PM
Old 04-27-2011
Well, it sounds like you should not try to do too much at once! You have a sector start and length, so convert to sector range first last, and then to page range first last, and then iterate the pages in that inclusive range. For instance, 123 45 is 123 - 167 is 30 - 41 is 30, 31, 32, ..., 41. This assumes a zero-based sector and page numbering.

Use grep to filter out just the writes, do the conversions, and send the page writes to:
Code:
sort | uniq -c | sort -nr | head -100

If your conversion is too slow in bash/ksh/sh, you can move it to PERL/JAVA/C++/C. If your sort set gets too big, in place of "sort | uniq -c", you can use my aggsx.c in memory aggregator -l option: https://www.unix.com/shell-programmin...roup-unix.html If you want it really fast, do it all in C using a big array of int or long long. You might even pipe the trace to it, and print out periodic reports. Even better would be to decontruct your trace and integrate part of it, so you can work all in int/long, not string numbers.

Last edited by DGPickett; 04-27-2011 at 01:49 PM..
This User Gave Thanks to DGPickett For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. AIX

How to find the top 6 users (which consume most space)?

Hi everybody, I want to know if there is any posibility to find out - on an AIX system - which are the the users who consume most space or at least a posibility to obtain a list with all the users and how much space are they consuming ? Trying to use du command was useless. Any idea?... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: RebelDac
5 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to exclude top level directory with find?

I'm using bash on cygwin/windows. I'm trying to use find and exclude the directory /cygdrive/c/System\ Volume\ Information. When I try to use the command below I get the error "rm: cannot remove `/cygdrive/c/System Volume Information': Is a directory. Can someone tell me what I am doing... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: siegfried
3 Replies

3. Cybersecurity

Recursively find and change Permissions on Man pages

Just joined after using the site as a guest.. (Very Good Stuff in here.. thanks folks.) I am in the process of hardening a Solaris 10 server using JASS. I also must use DISA Security Checklists (SRR) scripts to test for things that did not get hardened to DISA standards. One of the things... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: altamaha
5 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

find top 100 files and move them

i have some 1000 files in my dir and i want to find top 100 files and move them to some other location: below the 2 commands i used, but it is not working ls -ltr | grep ^- | head -100 | xargs mv destination - _________>not working ls -ltr | grep ^- | head -100 | xargs mv {}... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ali560045
3 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

find the size of a database by counting all the used pages

Hi all, I am looking to find the size of the database by counting all the used pages. 1. I have a file which reads like below 16384 4750850 32768 165 The first column is the pagesize and the second column is the number of pages... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: family_guy
6 Replies

6. Programming

code to find the top of the stack, not able to figure it out

OFFSET=100; PAGESIZE=4096; int dummy_last; TOPSTACK = (caddr_t)(&dummy_last - OFFSET); TOPSTACK = (caddr_t)((unsigned long)TOPSTACK - ((unsigned long)TOPSTACK % PAGESIZE)); this i a code to find the top of the stack, but not able to figure it out. can... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: holla4ni
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

find top 4 users currently logged on can i use grep

For the first 4 users only that are currently logged in output their effective user id. It's not important the order in which each logged in i just want to have the top 4. Same question as here...... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: whyatepies
0 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

how to find top 3 users currently logged on

For the first 3 users only that are currently logged in output their effective user id. thank you. (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: whyatepies
6 Replies

9. Red Hat

How to find memory taken by a process using top command?

I wanted to know how to find the memory taken by a process using top command. The output of the top command is as follows as an example: Mem: 13333364k total, 13238904k used, 94460k free, 623640k buffers Swap: 25165816k total, 112k used, 25165704k free, 4572904k cached PID USER ... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: RHCE
6 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Find and cat top lines recursively

I have a folder structure with multiple sub directories MAIN FOLDER1 SUBFOLDER1 files...... FOLDER2 SUBFOLDER1 files...... etc and I want to find a way to create an output of every files first 20 lines. I've been searching and testing and failing. I can do it in a... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: darbs121
2 Replies
UNIQ(1) 						    BSD General Commands Manual 						   UNIQ(1)

NAME
uniq -- report or filter out repeated lines in a file SYNOPSIS
uniq [-c | -d | -u] [-i] [-f num] [-s chars] [input_file [output_file]] DESCRIPTION
The uniq utility reads the specified input_file comparing adjacent lines, and writes a copy of each unique input line to the output_file. If input_file is a single dash ('-') or absent, the standard input is read. If output_file is absent, standard output is used for output. The second and succeeding copies of identical adjacent input lines are not written. Repeated lines in the input will not be detected if they are not adjacent, so it may be necessary to sort the files first. The following options are available: -c Precede each output line with the count of the number of times the line occurred in the input, followed by a single space. -d Only output lines that are repeated in the input. -f num Ignore the first num fields in each input line when doing comparisons. A field is a string of non-blank characters separated from adjacent fields by blanks. Field numbers are one based, i.e., the first field is field one. -s chars Ignore the first chars characters in each input line when doing comparisons. If specified in conjunction with the -f option, the first chars characters after the first num fields will be ignored. Character numbers are one based, i.e., the first character is character one. -u Only output lines that are not repeated in the input. -i Case insensitive comparison of lines. ENVIRONMENT
The LANG, LC_ALL, LC_COLLATE and LC_CTYPE environment variables affect the execution of uniq as described in environ(7). EXIT STATUS
The uniq utility exits 0 on success, and >0 if an error occurs. COMPATIBILITY
The historic +number and -number options have been deprecated but are still supported in this implementation. SEE ALSO
sort(1) STANDARDS
The uniq utility conforms to IEEE Std 1003.1-2001 (``POSIX.1'') as amended by Cor. 1-2002. HISTORY
A uniq command appeared in Version 3 AT&T UNIX. BSD
July 3, 2004 BSD