Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Parameters/Args
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Parameters/Args Post 302517335 by kalak on Tuesday 26th of April 2011 01:14:02 PM
Old 04-26-2011
Since you refer to a second parameter in your script, it needs 2 parameters to successfully run, but this isn't checked for anywhere. If you wrap it as below, then it will fail gracefully if the wrong number of parameters are given (none, one, or 3+).

Code:
if [ $# = 2 ]
then {
     your code here
}
else {
     echo -e "SYNTAX: $0 <IN> <OUT>"
}
fi;

If you want a different case for 1 parameter, then you can add another statement like if [ $# = 1] for 1 parameter, etc. or put it in a case of $# ($# is the number of parameters, if that isn't obvious from the example.)

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Args to Array

Hello all, I have a question. Please help me to populate an array with the arguments passing to a Shell scripts. For example when I call "abc.sh a1 a2 a3" args (a1, a2, ...) recieved in an Array inside the abc.sh arr = a1 arr = a2 and so on... Thanks in advance, (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Shaz
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

alias with args how to ...

Hello ( sorry newbie question ) I don't understand something im trying to make simple alias that takes 1 arg but it don't gives me the desire result here is what I have : stlist | awk '{print "ls -l "$2}' now I want to translate it to alias that takes instead of the $2 one arg so I did : ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: umen
4 Replies

3. Programming

Command line args

My program usage takes the form for example; $ theApp 2 "one or more words" i.e. 3 command line arguments; application name, an integer, some text My code includes the following 4 lines: int anInteger; char words; sscanf(argv, "%d", &anInteger); sscanf(argv, "%s", &message); Based... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: enuenu
2 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

command line args

I am trying to print command line arguments one per second. I have this while do echo "6" shift echo "5" shift echo "4" shift echo "3" shift echo "2" shift echo "1" shift done (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: skooly5
2 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

command line args 2

I have this while loop and at the end I am trying to get it to tell me the last argument I entered. And with it like this all I get is the sentence with no value for $1. Now I tried moving done after the sentence and it printed the value of $1 after every number. I don't want that I just want... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: skooly5
2 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

args of 50+ files

Hey.. I've gotten inspired by another thread and used this: #!/usr/bin/bash args 2,5 $(<file.list) It works but I'll like the results separated into different files or back into the 'used'/original files, whatever is easiest. e.g. use fileA | args 2,5 > fileB or fileA and then do this to... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: lost
9 Replies

7. AIX

tuning network parameters : parameters not persist after reboot

Hello, On Aix 5.2, we changed the parameters tcp_keepinit, tcp_keepintvl and tcp_keepidle with the no command. tunrestore -R is present in inittab in the directory /etc/tunables we can clearly see the inclusion of parameters during reboot, including the file lastboot.log ... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: dantares
0 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

For Args and Nawk

I am trying to write a simple shell script that will take certain arguments (numerical values) and plug each one into a nawk command. I thought I would need to use for args x y z but i get syntax errors: for args 16 1 3 25 31 41 do nawk -F, '{if($10==$ &&... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: he204035
8 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Store args passed in array but not the first 2 args

Store args passed in array but not the first 2 args. # bash declare -a arr=("$@") s=$(IFS=, eval 'echo "${arr}"') echo "$s" output: sh array.sh 1 2 3 4 5 6 1,2,3,4,5,6 Desired output: sh array.sh 1 2 3 4 5 6 3,4,5,6 (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: iaav
2 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Edit $args within a command

Hi, I'm using a while loop for a given command "bowtie2" with several parameters. mkdir clean paste <(ls --quote-name ./qc/sg_*_R1_val_1.fq.gz) <(ls --quote-name ./qc/sg_*_R2_val_2.fq.gz) |sed 's/"./-1 ./' | sed 's/gz"\t/gz\t -2 /' | sed 's/"//g' |\ while read args ; do ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: sargotrons
5 Replies
X2SYS_MERGE(1gmt)					       Generic Mapping Tools						 X2SYS_MERGE(1gmt)

NAME
x2sys_merge - Merge an updated COEs tables SYNOPSIS
x2sys_merge -Amain_COElist.d -Mnew_COElist.d DESCRIPTION
x2sys_merge will read two crossovers data base and output the contents of the main one updated with the COEs in the second one. The second file should only contain updated COEs relatively to the first one. That is, it MUST NOT contain any new two tracks intersections (This point is NOT checked in the code). This program is useful when, for any good reason like file editing NAV correction or whatever, one had to recompute only the COEs between the edited files and the rest of the database. -A Specify the file main_COElist.d with the main crossover error data base. -M Specify the file new_COElist.d with the newly computed crossover error data base. OPTIONS
No space between the option flag and the associated arguments. EXAMPLES To update the main COE_data.txt with the new COEs estimations saved in the smaller COE_fresh.txt, try x2sys_merge -ACOE_data.txt -MCOE_fresh.txt > COE_updated.txt SEE ALSO
x2sys_binlist(1), x2sys_cross(1), x2sys_datalist(1), x2sys_get(1), x2sys_init(1), x2sys_list(1), x2sys_put(1), x2sys_report(1) GMT 4.5.7 15 Jul 2011 X2SYS_MERGE(1gmt)