Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Timekeeping in Linux question ... Post 302517305 by Corona688 on Tuesday 26th of April 2011 11:25:33 AM
Old 04-26-2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by newlinuxuser1
wow, 30 nanoseconds is pretty impressive! Thank for the input, I could never imagine that GPS could be used for precise timekeeping
More like GPS requires pretty precise timekeeping to measure the minute differences between signals. Getting a convenient clock beat from them is a handy side-effect.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

linux newbie question...

I'm running Vector Linux on this computer, and everythign works fine, except for the NIC. I run netconfig, and then when I reboot it says: DC21140 at 0x9400(PCI BUS 0, device 11) h/w address 00:00:C0:2E:13:dC, and reqquires IRQ 9(provided by PCI BIOS) Setting up net subsytems. ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Corey
5 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Timekeeping problem

Hello everyone I am currently exploring the different time keeping commands in linux. and I having a lot of trouble figuring out the advantages and disadvantages of using daytime command rdate and hwclock and such commands. Can someone link me to good articles or just give me the answer (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: maniac173
5 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Linux LVM Question

I've three partitions on /dev/sda: sda1, sda2 sda3. There is FREE space between sda2 and sda3 and sda3 ends on the last sector. sda2 and sda3 have the same number of sectors allocated and so are the exact same size. /dev/sda2 is already part of the VG VolGroup. However, what puzzles me is that... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Devyn
0 Replies

4. Linux

(ASK) Question about linux network...

hi all, im linux nubie n want to ask, 1. how to access the windows pc? if from windows to windows, we can use : start-run-\\192.168.1.1\e$ now, how about from linux (fedora) n want to access to windows drive? if I use ssh from linux to windows, ssh 192.168.6.171 ssh: connect... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: busoh.sensen
6 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

linux installation question?

Hi I accidentally installed another operating system after I had installed Linux and now I can no longer access your Linux system.any solution? Thanks (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: adam25bc
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

New to Linux, have some simple question

Hi All, Here is the problem: I have done a c++ code in Visual Studio 2010, it's a simple project that only have one main function which takes 2 parameters: an integer and a file that stores data. Now, I am asked to write a shell script in linux to execute my main function. I asked my professor... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: EasonRU
1 Replies

7. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Linux fdisk question (Oracle Enterprise Linux)

OS: Oracle Enterprise Linux 6.2 Hypervisor: VMWare workstation 9 I created a VM and attached a 7gb virtual disk to it. Using fdisk , I partioned the disk like below. The filesystems mounted on this is working fine. But I am seeing the message Partition n does not end on cylinder boundary.... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: kraljic
2 Replies

8. Linux

Question on Linux Binary

Hi All, On linux system copied a /bin/kill to /bin/killlatest, when i tried to kill a command using /bin/killlatest it is failing with below errors /bin/killlatest 12345 ERROR: no "killlatest" support. Please help on this.. My ideas is to write a wrapper over killl command to find out who... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: sridhar8183
5 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

New to Linux scripting question

hello i am new to scripting and Linux in general. i am going to school for sys admin and i will need at least some knowledge on scripting. i have been so far ok with learning basic scripting now i am stuck. with a assignment that i was given it was create a script that will tell you if a number... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: dragonwrench
2 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Linux question on directories..

Hi, First server every thing is working but keeps crashing so to be on the safe side created second server and moved all the files. But I notice there is a " dot " at the end. See below. Not sure what that means. Also getting 403 on Apache. Please see below. Thanks you so much. ls -l... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: samnyc
4 Replies
GPSCTL(1)							GPSD Documentation							 GPSCTL(1)

NAME
gpsctl - control the modes of a GPS SYNOPSIS
gpsctl [-h] [-b | -n] [-x control] [-e] [-f] [-l] [-s speed] [-t devicetype] [-D debuglevel] [-V] [serial-port] DESCRIPTION
gpsctl can switch a dual-mode GPS between NMEA and vendor-binary modes. It can also be used to set the device baudrate. Note: Not all devices have these capabilities. If you have only one GPS attached to your machine, and gpsd is running, it is not necessary to specify the device; gpsctl does its work through gpsd, which will locate it for you. When gpsd is not running, the device specification is required, and you will almost certainly need to be running as root in order to have write access to the device. The program accepts the following options: -b Put the GPS into binary mode. After the GPS resets itself, autobaud to the new speed. -c Change the GPS's cycle time. Units are seconds. Note, most GPSes have a fixed cycle time of 1 second. -e Generate the packet from any other arguments specified and ship it to standard output instead of the device. This switch can be used with the -t option without specifying a device. Note: the packet data for a binary prototype will be raw, not ASCII-ized in any way. -f Force low-level access (not through the daemon). -l List a table showing which option switches can be applied to which device types, and exit. -n Put GPS into NMEA mode. After the GPS resets itself autobaud to its new speed. -s Set the baud rate at which the GPS emits packets. Use this option with caution. On USB and Bluetooth GPSes it is also possible for serial mode setting to fail either because the serial adaptor chip does not support non-8N1 modes or because the device firmware does not properly synchronize the serial adaptor chip with the UART on the GPS chipset when the speed changes. These failures can hang your device, possibly requiring a GPS power cycle or (in extreme cases) physically disconnecting the NVRAM backup battery. -t Force the device type. -x Send a specified control string to the GPS; gpsctl will provide packet headers and trailers and checksum as appropriate for binary packet types, and whatever checksum and trailer is required for text packet types. (You must include the leading $ for NMEA packets.) When sending to a UBX device, the first two bytes of the string supplied will become the message class and type, and the remainder the payload. When sending to a Navcom NCT or Trimble TSIP device, the first byte is interpreted as the command ID and the rest as payload. When sending to a Zodiac device, the first two bytes are used as a message ID of type little-endian short, and the remainder as payload in byte pairs interpreted as little-endian short. For all other supported binary GPSes (notably including SiRF) the string is taken as the entire message payload and wrapped with appropriate header, trailer and checksum bytes. C-style backslash escapes in the string, notably xNN for hex, will be interpreted; additionally, e will be replaced with ESC. This switch implies -f. -T Change the sampling timeout. Defaults to 4 seconds, which should always be sufficient to get a packet from a device emitting at the normal rate of 1 per second. -h Display program usage and exit. -D Set level of debug messages. -V Display program version and exit. The argument of the forcing option. -t, should be a string which should be contained in exactly one of the known driver names; for a list, do gpsctl -l. Forcing the device type behaves somewhat differently depending on whether this tool is going through the daemon or not. In high-level mode, if the device that daemon selects for you doesn't match the driver you specified, gpsctl exits with a warning. (This may be useful in scripts.) In low-level mode, if the device identifies as a Generic NMEA, use the selected driver instead. This will be useful if you have a GPS device of known type that is in NMEA mode and not responding to probes. (This option was originally implemented for talking to SiRFStar I chips, which don't respond to the normal SiRF ID probe.) If no options are given, the program will display a message identifying the GPS type of the selected device and exit. Reset (-r) operations must stand alone; others can be combined. Multiple options will be executed in tis order: mode changes (-b and -n) first, speed changes (-s) second, and control-string sends (-c) last. EXAMPLES
gpsctl /dev/ttyUSB0 Attempt to identify the device on USB serial device 0. Time out after the default number of seconds. Adding the -f will force low-level access and suppress the normal complaint when this tool can't find a GPSD to work through. gpsctl -f -n -s 9600 /dev/ttyUSB0 Use low-level operations (not going through a gpsd instance) to switch a GPS to NMEA mode at 9600bps. The tool will identify the GPS type itself. BUGS
SiRF GPSes can only be identified by the success of an attempt to flip them into SiRF binary mode. Thus, the process of probing one of these running in NMEA will change its behavior. SEE ALSO
gpsd(8), gpsdctl(8), gps(1), libgps(3), libgpsd(3), gpsprof(1), gpsfake(1). AUTHOR
Eric S. Raymond esr@thyrsus.com. The GPSD Project 29 Oct 2006 GPSCTL(1)