Sponsored Content
Special Forums Hardware Upgrading antique Unisys U6000 / UNIX SVR4 1.2? Post 302517283 by DMahalko on Tuesday 26th of April 2011 10:38:03 AM
Old 04-26-2011
Tools Upgrading antique Unisys U6000 / UNIX SVR4 1.2?

I have an old Unisys U6000/65 server I obtained as surplus about 12 years ago. For its day (1993) this server line was capable of insane ability, up to 4 gig of memory using dozens of 30-pin SIMMs and up to six processors, including mixed processor speeds and types (486/Pentium) in the same machine, EISA bus and built-in SCSI.

Mine merely has 64 meg of RAM and dual 486-50 processors with 1.5 gig of SCSI on a full-height 5.25" hard drive that revs like a jet engine powering up, but this was still very nice for 1993. It has two 10 megabit ethernet cards, and I can get it on the 'net. I also have a boot tape for it, with UNIX System V Revision 4, I think release 1.2.

It's about the size of a two-drawer file cabinet, and has been a nice lamp stand next to my bed. Smilie

Anyway, it works okay, but it has various small annoyances like no bash shell and no up-arrow command recall, and ls doesn't have color support. I would like to have that in this old system.

Everyone uses distributions and package managers now and doesn't do barebone source installs anymore. What are my chances of getting a modern linux bash shell to compile on this thing?

Should I first try to install newer versions of the "cc" compiler, "make", "yacc", etc on it?

I am not a C/C++ programmer so directly hand-editing source to "make it go" is out of my range of capability. Upgrading the kernel is likely impossible. For that part of the system, it is what it is.

(Yes, I am aware most modern smartphones have more CPU, storage, and memory than this old thing. It's like fixing up an old car or antique farm tractor..)

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

SVR4 or BSD?

Can we determine (reliably or guaranteed) at runtime if a system is SVR4 or BSD based, using two methods, shell and binary (C code)? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: qanda
2 Replies

2. AIX

Upgrading AIX Unix

Hi all, I've got a question about an OS upgrade. I'm planning to do a upgrade from AIX UNIX 4.3.2 to 4.3.3 in a few weeks. I haven't got that much information. Could someone give me some general tips or hints, things I should think of before? Things I should know, or general errors. I know... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: Erik Rooijmans
9 Replies

3. HP-UX

Antique server

Hello. I have inherited a HP 9000 series E35 server that has stopped working. It is running HPUX (10.2-I think). The fault light is on (steady) on the front of the server and it will not boot. It only goes to a CM> prompt, which I have never seen before. Initial research through HP indicated a... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: sandyfox
8 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Urgent - Single User Mode -Unisys System V Release 4.0

Hello All, I have a Unisys 6000/65 machine running Unix System V Release 4.0.My problem is that we received an error that said "SPCS error occurred"and "vxfs:vx -ilisterr-inode 62585 mark bad /filesystem".The machine was stuck and I had to restart it.Now I cannot login from any workstation or... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: liverpool
2 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

SVR4 UNIX questions

Hi My main problem is trying to reset the password on an ancient (but still live) server. I have booted from floppy into maintenance mode, but it won't allow me to mount /. I'm using mount -F vxfs /dev/dsk/c0t0d0s1 /mnt and I get an error message along the lines of "operation not applicable... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sweetleaf
2 Replies

6. HP-UX

UNIX upgrading?

Right now we are using HP-UX 11i We are thinking of upgrading to 11i v3.. Questions: Why would we want to upgrade? Benefits? Do we need to install v2 and then v3 or can we just go straight to v3? I see we can get the following: HP-UX 11i v3 Operating Environment and applications... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: nixie21
10 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Copying large file problem on SVR4 Unix

We have 3 Unix servers all running SVR4 Unix 1.4. I have no problems copying files to and from 2 of the servers using either the rcp command or ftp but when i come to transfer large files to the third server the copy gives up part way through and crashes this server. Copying smaller files using RCP... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: coatesd
7 Replies

8. Programming

Upgrading Java 1.4.1 to 1.4.2 in UNIX

Hi, I have got java 1.4.1 in my unix server, i wish to upgrade it to 1.4.2 version. I know how to do that in Windows, but it is the first time i am doing it in UNIX. Please tell me how to do it from command line? Are there any environment variable to be set in unix as in windows? Thanks in... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: macmohanin
0 Replies

9. Virtualization and Cloud Computing

SVR4 on virtual machine help

Hello to all UNIX experts! This is my problem: I have to emulate an old UNIX System 5 release 4 on a virtual machine. I've got 30 images (.IMA) of 1.4M floppy where there is the installation of SVR4. How I can install it with those files? I tried with Vmware 7 workstation but it says 'Operating... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: mghis
6 Replies

10. Hardware

UNISYS U6000/50 Help needed! :)

Hi all, here at our computer museum in Palazzolo Acreide, Italy, we're trying to restore this ancient UNISYS server: (some picture here) wiki DOT museo DOT freaknet DOT org/?title=UNISYS_U6000/50 (sorry I can't post any URL) We have casual memory errors but we tested every single SIMM... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: asbesto
1 Replies
giftopnm(1)						      General Commands Manual						       giftopnm(1)

NAME
giftopnm - convert a GIF file into a portable anymap SYNOPSIS
giftopnm [--alphaout={alpha-filename,-}] [-verbose] [-comments] [-image N] [GIFfile] DESCRIPTION
This is a graphics format converter from the GIF format to the PNM (i.e. PBM, PGM, or PPM) format. If the image contains only black and maximally bright white, the output is PBM. If the image contains more than those two colors, but only grays, the output is PGM. If the image contains other colors, the output is PPM. If you have an animated GIF file, you can extract individual frames from it with gifsicle and then convert those using giftopnm. A GIF image contains rectangular pixels. They all have the same aspect ratio, but may not be square (it's actually quite unusual for them not to be square, but it could happen). The pixels of a Netpbm image are always square. Because of the engineering complexity to do oth- erwise, giftopnm converts a GIF image to a Netpbm image pixel-for-pixel. This means if the GIF pixels are not square, the Netpbm output image has the wrong aspect ratio. In this case, giftopnm issues an informational message telling you to run pnmscale to correct the out- put. OPTIONS
--alphaout=alpha-filename giftopnm creates a PGM (portable graymap) file containing the alpha channel values in the input image. If the input image doesn't contain an alpha channel, the alpha-filename file contains all zero (transparent) alpha values. If you don't specify --alphaout, giftopnm does not generate an alpha file, and if the input image has an alpha channel, giftopnm simply discards it. If you specify - as the filename, giftopnm writes the alpha output to Standard Output and discards the image. See pnmcomp(1) for one way to use the alpha output file. -verbose Produce verbose output about the GIF file input. -comments Only output GIF89 comment fields. -image N Output the specified gif image from the input GIF archive (where N is '1', '2', '20'...). Normally there is only one image per file, so this option is not needed. All flags can be abbreviated to their shortest unique prefix. RESTRICTIONS
This does not correctly handle the Plain Text Extension of the GIF89 standard, since I did not have any example input files containing them. SEE ALSO
ppmtogif(1), ppmcolormask(1), pnmcomp(1), gifsicle(1) <http://www.lcdf.org/gifsicle>, ppm(5). AUTHOR
Copyright (c) 1993 by David Koblas (koblas@netcom.com) LICENSE
If you use giftopnm, you are using a patent on the LZW compression method which is owned by Unisys, and in all probability you do not have a license from Unisys to do so. Unisys typically asks $5000 for a license for trivial use of the patent. Unisys has never enforced the patent against trivial users, and has made statements that it is much less concerned about people using the patent for decompression (which is what giftopnm does than for compression. The patent expires in 2003. Rumor has it that IBM also owns a patent covering giftopnm. A replacement for the GIF format that does not require any patents to use is the PNG format. 13 January 2001 giftopnm(1)