Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting finding the Last String in a Line Post 302517081 by Rohit1234 on Tuesday 26th of April 2011 03:06:56 AM
Old 04-26-2011
finding the Last String in a Line

Thanks Experts ,

don't know but it does not work , what is wrong here(ksh)
Code:
$ echo 'ex.. [Thr 138] yyeyrtehhehrerry: change this from [Starting steps (10)] to[END (3)]' | sed 's/[^[:alpha:]]/\n/g' | sed  '/^$/d'  | tail -n 1
usage: tail [+/-[n][lbc][f]] [file]
       tail [+/-[n][l][r|f]] [file]

All i want is LAST string of a line or may be a file

Thanks

Last edited by Franklin52; 04-26-2011 at 04:15 AM.. Reason: Please use code tags

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Finding a certain string on each line in a file

Hi, I need a script to get every line from a file where there are less then 17 ; on a line. Thank's (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: VODAFUN
5 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

help with finding a string

Hello folks I have a text file abcd.txt and has a line starting with number '8'. I have a string in this line starting at position 'a' to position 'b' also this string is a number and have to be reduced by 1. there is also a problem that it has to be padded with zeros to make the string... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sandyg
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Finding a string in a text file and posting part of the line

What would be the most succinct way of doing this (preferably in 1 line, maybe 2): searching the first 10 characters of every line in a text file for a specific string, and if it was found, print out characters 11-20 of the line on which the string was found. In this case, it's known that there... (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: busdude
13 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Finding a string with another string is found

finding a string with another string is found EX: abs c/- i want to find /-, then copy abs. i know it's easy use awk, but my problem is the substr syntax. substr($2,2,2) will give me /- but the conflict is /- is not always the second characted of the second string. (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: engr.jay
11 Replies

5. Solaris

Line too long error Replace string with new line line character

I get a file which has all its content in a single row. The file contains xml data containing 3000 records, but all in a single row, making it difficult for Unix to Process the file. I decided to insert a new line character at all occurrences of a particular string in this file (say replacing... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: ducati
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

finding the line number of a particular line in a file

Hi Frnds, I need to find the line number of a particular line in a file and store that line number to a variable. if a file named myfile contains following look at the sun look at the moon look at the star look at the ocean i need to get the line number of the line 'look at the... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: mvignesh
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Reformatting single column text file starting new line when finding particular string

Hi, I have a single colum file and I need to reformat the file so that it creates a new line every time it come to an IP address and the following lines are corresponding rows until it comes to the next IP address. I want to turn this 172.xx.xx.xx gwpusprdrp02_pv seinwnprd03... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: kieranfoley
7 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with finding last line of file: if statement depending on that line.

Good morning, My first time actually posting in this forum, though I have used this forum to help with numerous projects. I am trying to figure out why my if statement does not work. I have a file where a line is inputted every 15 seconds. I want this if statement to check what the last line... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Shanrunt
3 Replies

9. Red Hat

How to add a new string at the end of line by searching a string on the same line?

Hi, I have a file which is an extract of jil codes of all autosys jobs in our server. Sample jil code: ************************** permission:gx,wx date_conditions:yes days_of_week:all start_times:"05:00" condition: notrunning(appDev#box#ProductLoad)... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: raghavendra
1 Replies
END(7)								   SQL Commands 							    END(7)

NAME
END - commit the current transaction SYNOPSIS
END [ WORK | TRANSACTION ] DESCRIPTION
END commits the current transaction. All changes made by the transaction become visible to others and are guaranteed to be durable if a crash occurs. This command is a PostgreSQL extension that is equivalent to COMMIT [commit(7)]. PARAMETERS
WORK TRANSACTION Optional key words. They have no effect. NOTES
Use ROLLBACK [rollback(7)] to abort a transaction. Issuing END when not inside a transaction does no harm, but it will provoke a warning message. EXAMPLES
To commit the current transaction and make all changes permanent: END; COMPATIBILITY
END is a PostgreSQL extension that provides functionality equivalent to COMMIT [commit(7)], which is specified in the SQL standard. SEE ALSO
BEGIN [begin(7)], COMMIT [commit(7)], ROLLBACK [rollback(7)] SQL - Language Statements 2010-05-14 END(7)