Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting getting problem in awk command Post 302516934 by Corona688 on Monday 25th of April 2011 02:40:30 PM
Old 04-25-2011
Yes, but that doesn't answer my question.
Quote:
Are you saying the numbers in certain columns have to be padded with spaces to at least 2 length? Or do you have potentially random spacing in your file you wish to preserve?
If you just want all columns to remain the same width, the solution I posted should work.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

problem in awk command

Hello all, i am new one to this forum. : i have file with these contents.. internal://project/squid-internal-static/icons/anthony-xpm.gif http://widget.blogrush.com/img/br.png http://www.wingware.com/css/print http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/infocenter/systems/advanced/filterwarning.css... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: viveksnv
3 Replies

2. Post Here to Contact Site Administrators and Moderators

AWK command problem

How can I write an AWK so it could print some fixed strings and concatenate that with other words from an input file. Also having a string like "go" in the next line in the output file as below: Example: A fixed string like: "Hello my" and the input file is: friend mother father... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: sybase08
4 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Problem with sub command (awk) and numbers

Hi, I am trying to perform a simple soustraction between two floating numbers and cannot get it done for some reason due to the use of the sub command. The following is the straight-forward result of the soustraction: $ echo | gawk '{a=968;b=967.99;c=a-b;print c}' ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Indalecio
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Problem in awk command

Hello, I am getting problem in awk command during matching (using if in awk) when there is special character "" I have tried by loosing the special meaning, still its not working Below is my code: set pinname_watch = "DCORRECT" set pinname = "DCORRECT\" echo 'defineGateSize... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: nehashine
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

problem with awk command

I am having problem running an awk commad on a file Before applying awk command on the file After applying I don't expect more than 409743 records in the file. Why do I have 1 record more after applying awk command? Please let me know (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: dsravan
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

problem with awk command

I have written some code in a KSH script to find the index of the character in a string like this #!usr/bin/ksh string="Hi How are you" awk 'BEGIN {print index ($string, "are")}' My expected output should be : 8 but it is giving the out put as : 0 I wanted to store that index value in... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: hemanth424
8 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

problem with awk command in script.

#!/bin/sh date=`date +%y%m%d -d"1 day ago"` inbound_dir=/vis/logfiles/to_solmis cp `grep -il ST~856~ $inbound_dir/*$date*` /vis/sumit/in_ASN/ echo 'SENDER,RECEIVER,DATE,TIME,ASNUMBER' > a.csv for i in /vis/sumit/in_ASN/* do ... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: shrima.pratima
8 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Alias problem with awk command

Hi to all, I'm facing some problems when adding an alias like: #alias list="ls -al | awk '{ print $1, $2, $3, $4, (($5/1048576))"\t", $6, $7, $8, $9 }'" and when I enter: #list I get: Syntax Error The source line is 1. The error context is { print >>> , <<< awk:... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: enux
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Problem with Variable and AWK command

Okay, so I am trying to use a count variable to reference the column of output sent from an echo statement. So I am trying to do this #!/bin/bash CURRENT=$PWD VAR=3 CHANGE=`echo $CURRENT | awk -F "/" '{ print \$$VAR }'` This instead of giving me the third instance after the "/" gives... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: mkjp2011
4 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Execution Problem with awk command

Hi All, I am trying to find a word from a file in loop. while read i; do DB_Name=$i awk '{for(i=1;i<=NF;i++)if($i~/$DB_Name/)print $(i)}' $BTEQ_NAME > $DB_Name_TableList.txt done <Param.txt here Param.txt contents data as ODS_TARGT_RECV FIN_TARGT... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: Shilpi Gupta
7 Replies
spacing(3MENU)															    spacing(3MENU)

NAME
spacing - Control spacing between menu items. SYNOPSIS
#include <menu.h> int set_menu_spacing(MENU *menu, int spc_description, int spc_rows, int spc_columns); int menu_spacing(const MENU *menu, int* spc_description, int* spc_rows, int* spc_columns); DESCRIPTION
The function set_menu_spacing sets the spacing informations for the menu. spc_description controls the number of spaces between an item name and an item description. It must not be larger than TABSIZE. The menu system puts in the middle of this spacing area the pad charac- ter. The remaining parts are filled with spaces. spc_rows controls the number of rows that are used for an item. It must not be larger than 3. The menu system inserts the blank lines between item rows, these lines will contain the pad character in the appropriate positions. spc_columns controls the number of blanks between columns of items. It must not be larger than TABSIZE. A value of 0 for all the spacing values resets them to the default, which is 1 for all of them. The function menu_spacing passes back the spacing info for the menu. If a pointer is NULL, this specific info is simply not returned. RETURN VALUE
Both routines return E_OK on success. set_menu_spacing may return E_POSTED if the menu is posted, or E_BAD_ARGUMENT if one of the spacing values is out of range. SEE ALSO
ncurses(3NCURSES), menu(3MENU). NOTES
The header file <menu.h> automatically includes the header file <curses.h>. PORTABILITY
These routines are specific to ncurses. They were not supported on Version 7, BSD or System V implementations. It is recommended that any code depending on them be conditioned using NCURSES_VERSION. AUTHORS
Juergen Pfeifer. Manual pages and adaptation for new curses by Eric S. Raymond. spacing(3MENU)