Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: RedHat 9 Questions
Operating Systems Linux Red Hat RedHat 9 Questions Post 302516838 by verdepollo on Monday 25th of April 2011 09:34:14 AM
Old 04-25-2011
Quote:
Does anyone know if there are simple instructions for activating a firewall for Red Hat 9
You can use iptables, not sure if it's included by default but you can certainly install it yourself.

Quote:
it is important to have?
Yes, but IMO if you are really concerned about security then it would be more important not to use an ancient OS.

Quote:
I have a brand new HP Laserjet P1102 printer which I am desperate to get working with Red Hat 9. Is that impossible?
Have a look here: foo2xqx: a linux printer driver for XQX stream protocol

Quote:
What browser would you recommend for Red Hat 9 today?
Any browser would do as long as it's a recent version. Old browsers tend to have a plethora of known bugs and are easily exploitable.

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

RedHat

Hi all, I'm installing RedHat 7.0 on a laptop. As it's a dual boot with win2k I make a boot sector instead of using the MBR. After the install I mark the boot sector active in windows then I can boot into Linux. First question. When I make the boot sector active it deletes the swap... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: merlin
3 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

RedHat linux questions??

1. is redhat linux 7.3 the latest version ?? 2. where can i find FREE documentation regarding it ?? installation , etc... Thanks (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: BAM
2 Replies

3. Linux

redhat

hello people i just installed redhat, everything seemes to be fine, but when i start it, it boots up normally and starts firstboot or whatever, then it opens something, i can move the mouse for a while(thats all i see.. first the X then an arrow..) but then the whole computer freezes.. i think the... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: thenewestuser
3 Replies

4. SuSE

redhat

i just bought a redhat 9.0 book which comes with the operating system and Ive install it as a server however Im having difficulties installing Swat and I just wonder if I have to spend buy an enterprise server or what ? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: keliy1
1 Replies

5. Red Hat

redhat

if sombody can help it will be very good.I want to have some information concerning redhat 9.How to go in the internet with :confused: ,how to programmate in c or c++,and finally how i can use it esaly.Sorry for my english i'm a french speaker ;) (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: boyep
1 Replies

6. Homework & Coursework Questions

Print questions from a questions folder in a sequential order

1.) I am to write scripts that will be phasetest folder in the home directory. 2.) The folder should have a set-up,phase and display files I have written a small script which i used to check for the existing users and their password. What I need help with: I have a set of questions in a... (19 Replies)
Discussion started by: moraks007
19 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Just had a few questions

1) The lpr and sort utilities accept input either from a file named on the command line or from standard input. a)Name two other utilities that function in a similar manner. b)Name a utility that accepts its input only from standard input. 2) Explain the following error message. What... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: youngyou
10 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Redhat 5.8 to 6.0

Hi, Currently running Redhat 5.8, I am thinking about upgrading to 6. After the upgrade, in case, I want to downgrade. How would I do that? Please let me know. Thanks. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: samnyc
2 Replies

9. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Sort command results are different in Redhat 4 vs Redhat 5

Hi, I am having a text file with the following contents ########### File1 ########### some page1.txt text page.txt When I sort this file on Red Hat 5, then I get the following output ########### File1 ########### page1.txt page.txt some (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: sarbjit
3 Replies
RHNREG_KS(8)							   Red Hat, Inc.						      RHNREG_KS(8)

NAME
rhnreg_ks - A program for non interactively registering systems to RHN Satellite or Red Hat Network Classic. SYNOPSIS
rhnreg_ks [options] DESCRIPTION
rhnreg_ks is a utility for registering a system with the RHN Satellite or Red Hat Network Classic. It is designed to be used in a non- interactive environment (a kickstart style install, for example). All the information can be specified on the command line or stdin. OPTIONS
--profilename Specify the profile name that should be used as an identifier for the system in RHN Satellite, Red Hat Network Classic --username The username to register the system with under RHN Satellite or Red Hat Network Classic. This can be an existing RHN Satellite or Red Hat Network Classic username, or a new username. --password The password associated with the username specified with the --username option. This is an unencrypted password. --activationkey Specify/use a serial number to associate with the system. This is optional, but activation keys can really simplify the registration process. Learn more about activation keys in the online RHN documentation. --contactinfo This option has been deprecated. Please login to the server web user interface and update your contactinfo. --nohardware Do not probe or upload any hardware information. --nopackages Do not profile or upload any package information. --novirtinfo Do not profile or upload any virtualization information. --norhnsd Do not start rhnsd after completion. --force Register the system even if it has already been registered. --version Show the version of rhnreg_ks. --proxy Specify a HTTP proxy to use. --proxyUser Specify a username to use with an authenticated HTTP proxy. --proxyPassword Specify a password to use with an authenticated HTTP proxy. --sslCACert Specify a path to a SSL CA certificate to use. --serverUrl Specify a URL to as the server. -h, --help Show a help message and exit. FILES
/etc/sysconfig/rhn/systemid The digital server ID for this machine if the system has been registered onto RHN Satellite or Red Hat Network Classic. This file does not exist otherwise. /etc/sysconfig/rhn/up2date The common configuration file used by RHN client programs. EXAMPLES
Register a new system to Red Hat Network Classic: rhnreg_ks --profilename "example_profile_name" --username "someexampleuser" --password "foobar" Register a new system to Red Hat Network Classic with contact info: rhnreg_ks --profilename "example_profile_name" --username "someexampleuser" --password "foobar" --contactinfo < contactinfo where the file "contactinfo" contains data in the format: first_name: Billy last_name: Bob company: SomeCompanyName city: Springfield fax: 555-5555 phone: 555-5555 SEE ALSO
rhn_check(8), rhn_register(8), rhnsd(8), rhn-profile-sync(8), rhnplugin(8), up2date(5). AUTHORS
See the AUTHORS file included with this software. This manual page was written by Adrian Likins <alikins@redhat.com> and James Bowes <jbowes@redhat.com> BUGS
Report bugs to <http://bugzilla.redhat.com>. COPYRIGHT
Copyright (C) 1999-2011 Red Hat, Inc. This is free software; see the source for copying conditions. There is NO warranty; not even for MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICU- LAR PURPOSE. Linux 2011 February 4 RHNREG_KS(8)