Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: 3D effects on RHEL6 OC
Operating Systems Linux Red Hat 3D effects on RHEL6 OC Post 302516683 by susja on Sunday 24th of April 2011 10:09:15 PM
Old 04-24-2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by mark54g
On RH 6 there's a bit of an issue installing the proprietary driver.

You must add the following to your /boot/grub/menu.lst file:
on a line that starts with: kernel /vmlinuz-2.6....
Code:
rdblacklist=nouveau

Then in the /etc/modprobe.d/modprobe.conf file, add this line:

Code:
blacklist nouveau

You will then need to reboot.

After reboot you should go here:

Unix Drivers Portal Page

Download the appropriate driver for your adapter and architecture. Follow the instructions for installation. An additional reboot may be required.
hi mark54g,
Thanks for reply.
I did all steps you mentioned ( I didn't modprobe.conf file so I created it myself).
I downloaded driver. When I started to installed it first complaint that I don't have gcc. I installed gcc. After that it started to complain that it needs kernel sources ... but apparently I don't have it. Didn't think that just installing driver would request kernel sources ... anyway currently thinking to get those sources.
Thanks,

---------- Post updated at 10:09 PM ---------- Previous update was at 09:28 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by susja
hi mark54g,
Thanks for reply.
I did all steps you mentioned ( I didn't modprobe.conf file so I created it myself).
I downloaded driver. When I started to installed it first complaint that I don't have gcc. I installed gcc. After that it started to complain that it needs kernel sources ... but apparently I don't have it. Didn't think that just installing driver would request kernel sources ... anyway currently thinking to get those sources.
Thanks,
finally I was able to install driver.
Thanks a lot and appreciate your help

7 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Effects of grep -o when it's not available

I'm on a Solaris box that doesn't have -o as an option for grep (trying to return match only). Is there any way to get this functionality without the -o option? I've tried both sed and awk doing something like: echo "this is a test" | awk '/test/' or echo "this is a test | sed '/test/p'... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: earnstaf
8 Replies

2. Cybersecurity

Effects on data size during encrypted transfer

Hi There, I wonder if any one can help me. I want to transfer a file from one site to another over an encrypted link. I want to know if there will be any imcrease in the data that will travel on the link? For example, I want to transfer a 1 GB file from one site to another, using an encrypted... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: ahmerin
4 Replies

3. Windows & DOS: Issues & Discussions

Sound Effects Dolby,SRS in Linux

Hello all. Can anyone tell me if there is any alternative to Window$ Media Player for LINUX(Linux Mint). What am searching for is a player with sound processing capabilities.(Bass,Equaliser,SRS,Dolby,etc..) Thanks. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: coolatt
1 Replies

4. Red Hat

3d effects in rhel6

I installed rhel 6.0 in my laptop but it is not upporting 3d graphics of rhel6 and i am getting an error message "Accelerated 3d graphics not available Desktop effects require hardware 3D support." my laptop is dll studio 1558 and my graphic card is ATI Radeon 5470 with 1 gb dedicated ram. (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: nileshgupta
6 Replies

5. Red Hat

Effects of /etc/fstab file!

Hi Folks! I accidentally overwrote in /etc/fstab file. Can you guys please tell me, what impact it would have created, when I restarted the machine(RHEL6). I executed this command : # blkid /dev/vda5 > /etc/fstab (17 Replies)
Discussion started by: nixhead
17 Replies

6. Ubuntu

Ubuntu encryption and its effects

How will Full Disk encryption effect how open-source software is compiled and run using ubuntu 14.04. Are there alternatives that are recommended? Thank you :). (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: cmccabe
0 Replies

7. What is on Your Mind?

Remove filter effects from downloaded videos?

Does anyone know a way to remove filter effects from videos downloaded from YouTube or elsewhere, preferably with software that runs in Windows 7? Thank you in anticipation. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: quadphonic
1 Replies
jdshelp(1)							   User Commands							jdshelp(1)

NAME
jdshelp - Java Desktop System Help browser SYNOPSIS
jdshelp [URL] [gnome-std-options] DESCRIPTION
jdshelp displays the Java Desktop System online Help. If a URL is specified, jdshelp displays the topic referenced by the URL. The URL must be a ghelp URL. If no argument is specified, jdshelp displays the complete online Help. OPTIONS
The following options are supported: gnome-std-optionStandard options available for use with most GNOME applications. See gnome-std-options(5) for more information. OPERANDS
The following operands are supported: URL Uniform Resource Locator, the location of a Help topic. EXAMPLES
Example 1: Displaying the Text Editor Online Help example% jdshelp ghelp://usr/share/gnome/help/gedit/C/gedit.xml EXIT STATUS
The following exit values are returned: 0 Application exited successfully >0 Application exited with failure FILES
The following files are used by this application: /usr/bin/jdshelp Executable for Java Desktop System Help browser ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWgnome-* | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Interface stability |External | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
Latest version of the GNOME Desktop User Guide for your platform. yelp(1) NOTES
Written by Laszlo Kovacs, Sun Microsystems Inc., 2004. SunOS 5.10 29 Oct 2004 jdshelp(1)