Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Removing columns from awk '{ print $0 }' Post 302516385 by AlphaLexman on Friday 22nd of April 2011 08:28:36 PM
Old 04-22-2011
OK, I noticed, although slightly different from my OP, that using Franklin52's code, this works:
Code:
lsusb | awk '{sub(".*" $6 FS,x)}1'

But,
Code:
ls *.txt | awk '{sub(".*" $6 FS,x)}1'

does NOT work if there are files that have spaces in the filename.

EDIT: Nevermind I solved it with:
Code:
ls -l *.txt | awk '{sub(".*" $8 FS,x)}1'

Last edited by AlphaLexman; 04-22-2011 at 09:34 PM..

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

cannot print the columns i want with awk.

hi friends! i have a script where a execute a veritas command, available_media wich retrieves me a list of tapes .lst then i execute cat /tmp/listtapes.lst | grep -v VL |sed '/^$/d'|awk -F, '{print $1, $3, $4, $9} ' > /tmp/media1.lst but it prints all the columns instead of the four... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: pabloli150
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

using awk to print some columns of a file

Hi, i have a file with content 00:01:20.613 'integer32' 459254 00:01:34.158 459556 00:01:36.626 'integer32' 459255 and i want to print only output as below 00:01:20.613 459254 00:01:34.158 459556 00:01:36.626 459255 i dont want the word 'integer32' which is the second column. i... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: dealerso
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Removing columns using awk

HI , I want to remove 5th and 6th column from a .csv file using awk.is there any way of this apart from writing the each field as below awk -F, '{print $1,$2,$3,$7......$100}' OFS=, infile. Thx, Deepti (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: gaur.deepti
4 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Removing columns using awk

HI , I have a comma delimiter file, in which I want to remove 8th and 9th column. I tried removing those columns using the below code awk 'BEGIN { FS=","; OFS="," } {$8=$9="";gsub(",+",",",$0)}1' infile But the problem is 8th and 9th columns are user entered fields, theyvhave carriage... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mora
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Print unique records in 2 columns using awk

Is it possible to print the records that has only 1 value in 2nd column. Ex: input awex1 1 awex1 2 awex1 3 assww 1 ader34 1 ader34 2 output assww 1 (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: quincyjones
5 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Awk: is it possible to print into multiple columns?

Hi guys, I have hundreds file like this, here I only show two of them: file 1 feco4_s_BB95.log ZE_1=-1717.5206260 feco4_t_BB95.log ZE_1=-1717.5169250 feco5_s_BB95.log ZE_1=-1830.9322060... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: liuzhencc
11 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk print string with removing all spaces

Hi all, I want to set 10 set of strings into a variable where: removing all spaces within each string change the delimiter from "|" to "," Currently, I've the below script like this:Table=`ten character strings with spaces in-between and each string with delimiter "|" | tr -d ' ' |... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: o1283c
7 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk print columns which are not null

I am working on a file with several columns as below MO_NAME,FAULT_TYPE,CLASS,CODE1,CODE2,CODE3 RXOCF-101,BTS INTERNAL,FAULT CODES CLASS 2A,53,58 RXOCF-101,BTS INTERNAL,FAULT CODES CLASS 2B,24 RXOCF-101,BTS INTERNAL,FAULT CODES CLASS 2A,33 RXOCF-101,BTS INTERNAL,FAULT CODES CLASS 2D,57 ... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: Rizwan Rasul
12 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk print columns and variable

Hi, Can anyone help with the below please? I have written some code which takes an input file, and and prints the contents out to a new file - it then loops round and prints the same columns, but increments the ID column by 1 each time. Input file; NAME,1,15-Dec-15, NAME,1,21-Dec-15,... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: Ads89
9 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

How to use "awk" to print columns from different files in separate columns?

Hi, I'm trying to copy and paste the sixth column from a bunch of files into a single file having each column pasted in separate columns (and not one after each other in just one column.) I tried this code but works only partially because it copied and pasted 50 rows of each column... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Frastra
6 Replies
set_color(1)							       fish							      set_color(1)

NAME
set_color - set_color - set the terminal color set_color - set the terminal color Synopsis set_color [-v --version] [-h --help] [-b --background COLOR] [COLOR] Description Change the foreground and/or background color of the terminal. COLOR is one of black, red, green, brown, yellow, blue, magenta, purple, cyan, white and normal. o -b, --background Set the background color o -c, --print-colors Prints a list of all valid color names o -h, --help Display help message and exit o -o, --bold Set bold or extra bright mode o -u, --underline Set underlined mode o -v, --version Display version and exit Calling set_color normal will set the terminal color to whatever is the default color of the terminal. Some terminals use the --bold escape sequence to switch to a brighter color set. On such terminals, set_color white will result in a grey font color, while set_color --bold white will result in a white font color. Not all terminal emulators support all these features. This is not a bug in set_color but a missing feature in the terminal emulator. set_color uses the terminfo database to look up how to change terminal colors on whatever terminal is in use. Some systems have old and incomplete terminfo databases, and may lack color information for terminals that support it. Download and install the latest version of ncurses and recompile fish against it in order to fix this issue. Version 1.23.1 Sun Jan 8 2012 set_color(1)