Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting count of files and number of bytes Post 302516378 by cfajohnson on Friday 22nd of April 2011 07:27:11 PM
Old 04-22-2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by jack1985
1) I need a shell code to count the number of files ( without directories or sub-directories ) in a directory given as arguments.
No need for an external command:
Code:
#!/bin/bash

dir=${1:-.}

shopt -s nullglob

nfiles()
{
  numfiles=$#
}

nfiles "$dir/"*
files=$numfiles

nfiles "$dir/"*/
dirs=$numfiles

printf "Files: %d\n" "$(( $files - $numfiles ))"
printf " Dirs: %d\n" "$dirs"

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Count number of files in subdirectories

Hello, I am new to unix and would like to have a count of all the files in the current directory as well as all the files in a subdirectory. The command I used was ls -R | wc -l but the number returned wasn't correct. Can someone please help? Thanks (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: cbeverly
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Count the number of files in a directory

Hi All, How do i find out the number of files in a directory using unix command ? (14 Replies)
Discussion started by: Raynon
14 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

count number of files in a directory

what's the script to do that? i want to only count the number of files in that directory, not including any sub directories at all (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: finalight
5 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Count number of files in directory excluding existing files

Hi, Please let me know how to find out number of files in a directory excluding existing files..The existing file format will be unknown..each time.. Thanks (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ammu
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash script to find the number of files and identify which ones are 0 bytes.

I am writing a bash script to find out all the files in a directory which are empty. I am running into multiple issues. I will really appreciate if someone can please help me. #!/bin/bash DATE=$(date +%m%d%y) TIME=$(date +%H%M) DIR="/home/statsetl/input/civil/test" ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: monasharma13
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to count number of files in directory and write to new file with number of files and their name?

Hi! I just want to count number of files in a directory, and write to new text file, with number of files and their name output should look like this,, assume that below one is a new file created by script Number of files in directory = 25 1. a.txt 2. abc.txt 3. asd.dat... (20 Replies)
Discussion started by: Akshay Hegde
20 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Count the number of subset of files in a directory

hi I am trying to write a script to count the number of files, with slightly different subset name, in a directory for example, in directory /data, there are a subset of files that are name as follow /data/data_1_(1to however many).txt /data/data_2_(1 to however many).txt... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: piynik
12 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Count number of files

Hi All! I need to have a script that counts the number of files arriving in a landing directory, them some app pick these files to be processed and load to a DB. But this process is so fast that I am not able to count all the files arriving on a landing directory. Please can you help? My... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: fretagi
6 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to count the number of files moved?

I'm writing a script for searching substring in file content and then moving found files. So far I've wrote script shown below grep -lir 'stringtofind' $1 | xargs mv -t $2 How can i count number of files moved? (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Kadikis
4 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help for Count number of files in certain time

Chaps, I need to count number of files in a remote directory from Linux (FreeBSD) as if 10 trace files (log files) been generated within 5min of time. So this is the script then I can setup a monitoring. I came across with ls -1 \ip\d:\Logs | wc -l but then what else requires to check time... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: samwijekoon
8 Replies
OPTION(1)							   User Commands							 OPTION(1)

NAME
option - manual page for option --version not recognized SYNOPSIS
kidc [OPTIONS] [file...] DESCRIPTION
Compile kid templates into Python byte-code (.pyc) files. OPTIONS: -f, --force Force compilation even if .pyc file already exists. -s, --source Generate .py source files along with .pyc files. This is sometimes useful for debugging. -d, --strip-dest-dir <destdir> Strips the supplied path from the beginning of source filenames stored for error messages in the generated .pyc files Files list may have files and/or directories. If a directory is specified, all .kid files found in the directory and any sub-directories are compiled. Usage: kidc [OPTIONS] [file...] Compile kid templates into Python byte-code (.pyc) files. OPTIONS: -f, --force Force compilation even if .pyc file already exists. -s, --source Generate .py source files along with .pyc files. This is sometimes useful for debugging. -d, --strip-dest-dir <destdir> Strips the supplied path from the beginning of source filenames stored for error messages in the generated .pyc files Files list may have files and/or directories. If a directory is specified, all .kid files found in the directory and any sub-directories are compiled. SEE ALSO
The full documentation for option is maintained as a Texinfo manual. If the info and option programs are properly installed at your site, the command info option should give you access to the complete manual. option --version not recognized November 2005 OPTION(1)