Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Linux Ubuntu Can't successfully clone an HDD in Ubuntu, please help Post 302515688 by Corona688 on Wednesday 20th of April 2011 04:27:59 PM
Old 04-20-2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unlimitedbt
I had formatted/partitioned the destination drive in exact same manner as original
and used dd to clone
Which? Did you format and partition it -- or did you clone it with dd?

You should be able to clone the partitions and everything in one operation. Don't give it sda1, just sda, and so forth.dd if=/dev/original of=/dev/new conv=noerror,sync

Last edited by Corona688; 04-20-2011 at 05:43 PM..

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Old HDD copy to new HDD ? im lost...

Over the last few months the HDD spins louder and louder, so I fiqured its time to replace the HDD. Its been running 24/7/365 since 98 :eek:. yes i said since 98 :D I have an IBM system 43P Model 240. 233 MHz. running AIX Version 4. The current HDD is an IBM DGHS COMP IEC -950 FRU PN#... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Chevy89rocks
5 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

script has been executed successfully or not??

Guys, How can we know whether a script has been executed successfully or not ? We dont have any log directories, and we are not given a chance to modify the script. Could someone help me out with this Thanks (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: bobby1015
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Cannot successfully execute .sh: su - <name> -c

Hi All, First time poster, I hope I have the basics covered. I am trying to execute a .sh but finding I am getting inconsistent results. A fresh set of eyes would be great. I am using Solaris 10 zones. So I am trying to execute a script but I am getting different results between... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: att01
2 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Alphabet and numeric values repeat again and again on HDD/Linux-Ubuntu

My system is Linux, Ubuntu. I examine my hard disk drive with a hex editor, it's unencrypted, and when I scroll down, using page down in the ASCII section at right showing the alphanumeric and symbols information, the letters of the alphabet repeat from A-Z along with numbers repeating, followed by... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: totalrecallz
2 Replies

5. HP-UX

How to clone a 382-workstations hdd?

Hi there, I got a pretty old HP 382 workstation, and the hdd is pretty LOUD ... ;) So I thought I clone it to an much quiter one. I tried this: - removed the loud hdd - connected it to an system running knoppix 7.0.4 (hdd is recognized with UFS filesystem; Clonezilla couldn't handle the... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: pelegrine
9 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Did my script execute successfully ?

Hi, I have two scripts viz and I am running them in background. I wish to know if both the scripts completed execution successfully. So this is what I have done /tmp/commet/bin/connectdb1.sh & condb1=$? /tmp/commet/bin/connectdb2.sh & condb2=$? However, I am getting error... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: mohtashims
7 Replies

7. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Samba broken on clone Ubuntu

I configured freeradius version 2.2.0 running on Ubuntu 12.04 to authenticate against active directory and it is working fine until I decide to clone (vmware) the machine. Once the machine is clone I changed the IP address, hostname in (/etc/hosts and /etc/hostname) and also changed the name in... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: hassan1
1 Replies

8. AIX

IBM AIX Internal HDD vs SAN HDD and Oracle

Hi Folks, I am facing an issue with the performance. P4 with 1 processor and 16 GB RAM and SAN HDD = Oracle report takes 25 minutes P5 with 2 processors and 16 GB RAM internall HDD with LPAR = Oracle Report takes 1 hour 15 minutes ( please note I have assigned all the max processors and... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: filosophizer
7 Replies

9. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

BMW GT1 DIS - SCO 5.0 and Oracle 7 Root HDD Clone - IBM T30

Greeting All Diag tool HDD clone SCO 5 + Oracle 7 DB ( IBM T30 ) I am new to this forum and my knowledge on computers OS is average . I have just acquired a factory diag tool for BMW/RR/MINI from a retired mechanic. Its runs on a IBM T30 laptop with a Unix/Oracle DB system. Sco 5... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: bmw635
8 Replies
HFORMAT(1)						      General Commands Manual							HFORMAT(1)

NAME
hformat - create a new HFS filesystem and make it current SYNOPSIS
hformat [-f] [-l label] destination-path [partition-no] DESCRIPTION
hformat is used to write a new HFS filesystem to a volume. A UNIX pathname to the volume's destination must be specified. The destination may be either a block device or a regular file, but it must already exist and be writable. An optional label can be specified to name the volume. The name must be between 1-27 characters and cannot contain a colon (:). By default, the volume will be named Untitled. If the destination medium is partitioned, one partition must be selected to receive the filesystem. If there is only one HFS partition on the medium, it will be selected by default. Otherwise, the desired partition number must be specified (as the ordinal nth HFS partition) on the command-line. The size of the partition determines the size of the resulting volume. Partition number 0 can be specified to format the entire medium as a single filesystem without a partition map, erasing any existing parti- tion information. Since this will destroy all the partitions, the -f option must be specified to force this operation if the medium cur- rently contains a partition map. If the medium is not partitioned (or if partition 0 is specified), the size or capacity of the medium determines the size of the resulting volume. The new volume will be empty and will become "current" so subsequent commands will refer to it. The current working directory for the vol- ume is set to the root of the volume. EXAMPLES
% hformat /dev/fd0 If a floppy disk is available as /dev/fd0, this formats the disk as an HFS volume named Untitled. (N.B. The floppy must already have received a low-level format by other means.) % dd if=/dev/zero of=disk.hfs bs=1k count=800 % hformat -l "Test Disk" disk.hfs This sequence creates an 800K HFS volume image in the file disk.hfs in the current directory, and names it Test Disk. % hformat -l "Loma Prieta" /dev/sd2 1 If a SCSI disk is available as /dev/sd2, this initializes the first HFS partition on the disk (which must already exist) with a new filesystem, naming the resulting volume Loma Prieta. % hformat -f /dev/sd2 0 This causes the medium accessible as /dev/sd2 to be reformatted as a single HFS volume, ignoring and erasing any existing partition information on the medium. The -f option must be specified if the medium is currently partitioned; otherwise the command will fail. NOTES
This command does not create or alter partition maps, although it can erase them (as described above). Any partition number specified on the command line must already exist. The smallest volume size which can be formatted with hformat is 800K. SEE ALSO
hfsutils(1), hmount(1) FILES
$HOME/.hcwd AUTHOR
Robert Leslie <rob@mars.org> HFSUTILS
08-Nov-1997 HFORMAT(1)