Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Find longest string and print it Post 302515467 by SEinT on Wednesday 20th of April 2011 06:42:43 AM
Old 04-20-2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Franklin52
If you want to print the longest field you could do something like:
Code:
awk '!len || length($1) > len {len=length($1);s=$1} END{print s, len}' file

Yes, this is what I was trying to do.

Can you please break down the logic for me?
Primarily the
Code:
 !len ||

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Find the length of the longest line

Dear All, To find the length of the longest line from a file i have used wc -L which is giving the proper output... But the problem is AIX os does not support wc -L command. so is there any other way 2 to find out the length of the longest line using awk or sed ? Regards, Pankaj (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: panknil
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell script to find longest phrase

Hi Everyone, I am trying to write a shell script that can find the longest phrase that appears at least twice in an online news article. The HTML has been parsed through an HTML parser, converted to XML and the article content extracted. I have put this article content in a text file to work... (24 Replies)
Discussion started by: stargazerr
24 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

find string and and print another string

i have a file that looks like this ABC123 aaaaaaaaaaaaaaasssssssssssssssffhhh ABC234 EMPTY ABC652 jhfffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffkkkkkkkkkkkk i want to grep "EMPTY" and print ABC234 (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: engr.jay
3 Replies

4. Programming

Find and print number after string in C

I'm trying find and print a number after a specific user passed string in each line of a text file using C (as requested by the powers that be). I've pieced together enough to read the file, find the string and print the line it was found on but I’m not sure where to even start in terms of finding... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: cgol
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Longest length of string in array

I would be grateful if someone could help me. I am trying to write a .sh script in UNIX. I have the following code; User=john User=james User=ian User=martin for x in ${User} do print ${#x} done This produces the following output; 4 5 3 6 (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: mmab
12 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk uniq and longest string of a column as index

I met a challenge to filter ~70 millions of sequence rows and I want using awk with conditions: 1) longest string of each pattern in column 2, ignore any sub-string, as the index; 2) all the unique patterns after 1); 3) print the whole row; input: 1 ABCDEFGHI longest_sequence1 2 ABCDEFGH... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: yifangt
12 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk find and print next string

Can I do this in one awk session. Solution I have is poor. I want to return the number after PID. echo "Start: 12345 is used by PID:11111 username" | awk -F: '{print $3}' | awk '{print $1}' (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: u20sr
6 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Find a string and print all lines upto another string

Ok I would like to do the following file test contains the following lines. between the lines ABC there may be any amount of lines up to the next ABC entry. I want to grep for the filename.txt entry and print the lines in between (and including that line) up to and including the last line... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: revaroo
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Parse the longest matching string

Hello experts, I am trying to unscramble a mixed signal into component signals. Let the list of known signals be $ cat tmplist DU DU4016 GFF GFF2010 GFF201019 G2115 G211 DU40 (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: senhia83
1 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Replace substring by longest string in common field (awk)

Hi, Let's say I have a pipe-separated input like so: name_10|A|BCCC|cat_1 name_11|B|DE|cat_2 name_10|A|BC|cat_3 name_11|B|DEEEEEE|cat_4 Using awk, for records with common field 2, I am trying to replace all the shortest substrings by the longest string in field 3. In order to get the... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: beca123456
5 Replies
ZIP_SET_FILE_EXTRA(3)					     Library Functions Manual					     ZIP_SET_FILE_EXTRA(3)

NAME
zip_set_file_extra - set extra field for file in zip LIBRARY
libzip (-lzip) SYNOPSIS
#include <zip.h> int zip_set_file_extra(struct zip *archive, zip_uint64_t index); "const char *extra" "int len" DESCRIPTION
The zip_set_file_extra function sets the extra field for the file at position index in the zip archive to extra of length len. If extra is NULL and len is 0, the file extra field will be removed. RETURN VALUES
Upon successful completion 0 is returned. Otherwise, -1 is returned and the error information in archive is set to indicate the error. ERRORS
zip_set_file_extra fails if: [ZIP_ER_INVAL] index is not a valid file index in archive, or len is less than 0 or longer than the maximum extra field length in a zip file (65535). [ZIP_ER_MEMORY] Required memory could not be allocated. SEE ALSO
libzip(3), zip_get_file_extra(3) AUTHORS
Dieter Baron <dillo@giga.or.at> and Thomas Klausner <tk@giga.or.at> NiH February 13, 2011 ZIP_SET_FILE_EXTRA(3)