Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Finding longest line in a Record Post 302515074 by Franklin52 on Tuesday 19th of April 2011 02:02:31 AM
Old 04-19-2011
Is this a homework assignment?

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Finding a character in first line of a record

HI, I am pretty new to Unix scripting. I will need help in Finding a character in first line of a file or a set of files. The scenario is as follows: Lets consider a set of files which is having a character "ID"(without quotes) in the first line of each file.I need to find this character... (14 Replies)
Discussion started by: bsandeep_80
14 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Find the length of the longest line

Dear All, To find the length of the longest line from a file i have used wc -L which is giving the proper output... But the problem is AIX os does not support wc -L command. so is there any other way 2 to find out the length of the longest line using awk or sed ? Regards, Pankaj (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: panknil
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Finding longest common substring among filenames

I will be performing a task on several directories, each containing a large number of files (2500+) that follow a regular naming convention: YYYY_MM_DD_XX.foo_bar.A.B.some_different_stuff.EXT What I would like to do is automatically discover the part of the filenames that are common to all... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: cmcnorgan
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash script find longest line/lines in several files

Hello everyone... I need to find out, how to find longest line or possibly lines in several files which are arguments for script. The thing is, that I tried some possibilities before, but nothing worked correctly. Example when i use: awk ' { if ( length > L ) { L=length ;s=$0 } }END{ print... (23 Replies)
Discussion started by: 1tempus1
23 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Reject the record if the record in the next line does not satisfy the pattern

Hi, I have a input file with the following entries: 1one 2two 3three 1four 2five 3six 1seven 1eight 1nine 2ten The output should be 1one 2two 3three 1four 2five 3six (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: supchand
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Reject the record if the record in the next line does not begin with 2.

Hi, I have a input file with the following entries: 1one 2two 3three 1four 2five 3six 1seven 1eight 1nine 2ten 2eleven 2twelve 1thirteen 2fourteen The output should be: (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: supchand
5 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

finding the incorrect record

Hi , I have a scenario where i have to find the incorrect records in the file. In our comma delimited file , we have the following to be taken care : 1) if there is new line character then we have to capture the current line and the next line as error record Ex : In a comma... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: ashwin3086
8 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Finding the length of the longest column

Hi, I am trying to figure out how to get the length of the longest column in the entire file (because the length varies from one row to the other) I was doing this at first to check how many fields I have for the first row: awk '{print NF; exit}' file Now, I can do this: awk '{ if... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: MIA651
4 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

wc -L giving incorrect length of longest line

Running below line gives 3957 as length of longest line in file 20121119_SRMNotes_init.dat awk ' { if ( length > 3950 ) { x = length } }END{ print x }' 20121119_SRMNotes_init.dat While wc -L 20121119_SRMNotes_init.dat gives output as 4329. Why is there a difference between these two commands.... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Satish Mantha
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Finding the Latest record

Dear All, I have getting data as follows, the second field signifies table name and last one is time stamp. I have return always latest record based on time stamp. Could you please help me ? I/P ==== ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: srikanth38
1 Replies
LASTCOMM(1)						    BSD General Commands Manual 					       LASTCOMM(1)

NAME
lastcomm -- show last commands executed in reverse order SYNOPSIS
lastcomm [-w] [-f file] [command ...] [user ...] [terminal ...] DESCRIPTION
lastcomm gives information on previously executed commands. With no arguments, lastcomm prints information about all the commands recorded during the current accounting file's lifetime. Option: -f file Read from file rather than the default accounting file. -w Use as many columns as needed to print the output instead of limiting it to 80. If called with arguments, only accounting entries with a matching command name, user name, or terminal name are printed. So, for example: lastcomm a.out root ttyd0 would produce a listing of all the executions of commands named a.out by user root on the terminal ttyd0. For each process entry, the following are printed. o The name of the user who ran the process. o Flags, as accumulated by the accounting facilities in the system. o The command name under which the process was called. o The amount of cpu time used by the process (in seconds). o The time the process started. o The elapsed time of the process. The flags are encoded as follows: ``S'' indicates the command was executed by the super-user, ``F'' indicates the command ran after a fork, but without a following exec(3), ``C'' indicates the command was run in PDP-11 compatibility mode (VAX only), ``D'' indicates the command terminated with the generation of a core file, and ``X'' indicates the command was terminated with a signal. The ``S'' and ``C'' flags are no longer recorded by the system, but will be reported by lastcomm when reading from an accounting file gener- ated by an older version of the system. FILES
/var/account/acct Default accounting file. SEE ALSO
last(1), sigaction(2), acct(5), core(5) HISTORY
The lastcomm command appeared in 3.0BSD. BSD
January 31, 2012 BSD