Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Print the current directory using perl Post 302514857 by matrixmadhan on Monday 18th of April 2011 09:53:06 AM
Old 04-18-2011
Code:
dirname

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Perl: Run perl script in the current process

I have a question regarding running perl in the current process. I shall demonstrate with an example. Look at this. sh-2.05b$ pwd /tmp sh-2.05b$ cat test.sh #! /bin/sh cd /etc sh-2.05b$ ./test.sh sh-2.05b$ pwd /tmp sh-2.05b$ . ./test.sh sh-2.05b$ pwd /etc sh-2.05b$ So... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: vino
10 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to print current month - 1 in string format

I need to get the current month -1 in string format, like Feb-2006. I am using k shell. Any help is appreciated. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: mogli4
3 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

awk to print current date?

List, I want to print the first line of my text file (say "me you"), preceded by the current date/time. Something like (pseudo code): awk '{print date,$1}' I don't have a lot of awk knowledge (understatement), so forgive me if the answer is obvious... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: philipz
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Print previous, current and next line using sed

Hi, how can i print the previous, current and next line using sed? current line is the matching line. The following prints all lines containing 'Failure' and also the immediate next line cat $file | sed -n -e '/Failure/{N;p;}' Now, i also want to print the previous line too. Thanks,... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: ysrinu
8 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Finding files in current directory when 100,000's files in current directory

Hi All I was wondering what is the most efficient way to find files in the current directory(that may contain 100,000's files), that meets a certain specified file type and of a certain age. I have experimented with the find command in unix but it also searches all sub directories. I have... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: kewong007
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Print the name of files in the directory using Perl

Hi All, I am stuck with a problem and i want your help, what i want to do is I have a directory name dircome and there are 6 files present in this directory, the name of the files are d1,d2,d3,d4,d5,d6. The Perl script print the files name, means the output should be d1 d2 d3 d4 d5 d6 (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: parthmittal2007
9 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Current working directory

Hi all, How do I print the name of my current working directory only to screen? Not pwd! For example, if I was in /home/work I am looking for 'work' only (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: jimjam
4 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Compare between current and next line and print

Dear All I want below to compare two Consecutive line(i.e. current and next line). Based in that i need OP. Below is the IP file in that in i find "M" and if in next line i find "*" then i need both line in single line. If i dont find "*" in next line then i need to put commend "DOWN" . I am... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: jaydeep_sadaria
4 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Tput cup, print on current line?

Heyas I'm thinking about a new approach for my core display, basicly as it should make aligments easier. Issue i'm currently facing, is tput cup capable of printing on the current line? My best achievements were: :) tui $ tput cup - 60;echo " ------ testing" ------ testing... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: sea
5 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Print out my current http connection

Good evening Need you help please I just wanna to print out my current https connection and other users http connection which the application resides, for instance i connect to the below url to login into the application: https://serverappp01:14100/portal/Portal.html# In another session... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: alexcol
4 Replies
File::chdir(3)						User Contributed Perl Documentation					    File::chdir(3)

NAME
File::chdir - a more sensible way to change directories VERSION
version 0.1007 SYNOPSIS
use File::chdir; $CWD = "/foo/bar"; # now in /foo/bar { local $CWD = "/moo/baz"; # now in /moo/baz ... } # still in /foo/bar! DESCRIPTION
Perl's "chdir()" has the unfortunate problem of being very, very, very global. If any part of your program calls "chdir()" or if any library you use calls "chdir()", it changes the current working directory for the whole program. This sucks. File::chdir gives you an alternative, $CWD and @CWD. These two variables combine all the power of "chdir()", File::Spec and Cwd. $CWD Use the $CWD variable instead of "chdir()" and Cwd. use File::chdir; $CWD = $dir; # just like chdir($dir)! print $CWD; # prints the current working directory It can be localized, and it does the right thing. $CWD = "/foo"; # it's /foo out here. { local $CWD = "/bar"; # /bar in here } # still /foo out here! $CWD always returns the absolute path in the native form for the operating system. $CWD and normal "chdir()" work together just fine. @CWD @CWD represents the current working directory as an array, each directory in the path is an element of the array. This can often make the directory easier to manipulate, and you don't have to fumble with "File::Spec->splitpath" and "File::Spec->catdir" to make portable code. # Similar to chdir("/usr/local/src/perl") @CWD = qw(usr local src perl); pop, push, shift, unshift and splice all work. pop and push are probably the most useful. pop @CWD; # same as chdir(File::Spec->updir) push @CWD, 'some_dir' # same as chdir('some_dir') @CWD and $CWD both work fine together. NOTE Due to a perl bug you can't localize @CWD. See "CAVEATS" for a work around. EXAMPLES
(We omit the "use File::chdir" from these examples for terseness) Here's $CWD instead of "chdir()": $CWD = 'foo'; # chdir('foo') and now instead of Cwd. print $CWD; # use Cwd; print Cwd::abs_path you can even do zsh style "cd foo bar" $CWD = '/usr/local/foo'; $CWD =~ s/usr/var/; if you want to localize that, make sure you get the parens right { (local $CWD) =~ s/usr/var/; ... } It's most useful for writing polite subroutines which don't leave the program in some strange directory: sub foo { local $CWD = 'some/other/dir'; ...do your work... } which is much simpler than the equivalent: sub foo { use Cwd; my $orig_dir = Cwd::abs_path; chdir('some/other/dir'); ...do your work... chdir($orig_dir); } @CWD comes in handy when you want to start moving up and down the directory hierarchy in a cross-platform manner without having to use File::Spec. pop @CWD; # chdir(File::Spec->updir); push @CWD, 'some', 'dir' # chdir(File::Spec->catdir(qw(some dir))); You can easily change your parent directory: # chdir from /some/dir/bar/moo to /some/dir/foo/moo $CWD[-2] = 'foo'; CAVEATS
"local @CWD" does not work. "local @CWD>" will not localize @CWD. This is a bug in Perl, you can't localize tied arrays. As a work around localizing $CWD will effectively localize @CWD. { local $CWD; pop @CWD; ... } Assigning to @CWD calls "chdir()" for each element @CWD = qw/a b c d/; Internally, Perl clears @CWD and assigns each element in turn. Thus, this code above will do this: chdir 'a'; chdir 'a/b'; chdir 'a/b/c'; chdir 'a/b/c/d'; Generally, avoid assigning to @CWD and just use push and pop instead. Volumes not handled There is currently no way to change the current volume via File::chdir. NOTES
$CWD returns the current directory using native path separators, i.e. on Win32. This ensures that $CWD will compare correctly with directories created using File::Spec. For example: my $working_dir = File::Spec->catdir( $CWD, "foo" ); $CWD = $working_dir; doing_stuff_might_chdir(); is( $CWD, $working_dir, "back to original working_dir?" ); Deleting the last item of @CWD will act like a pop. Deleting from the middle will throw an exception. delete @CWD[-1]; # OK delete @CWD[-2]; # Dies What should %CWD do? Something with volumes? # chdir to C:Program FilesSierraHalf Life ? $CWD{C} = '\Program Files\Sierra\Half Life'; DIAGNOSTICS
If an error is encountered when changing $CWD or @CWD, one of the following exceptions will be thrown: o Can't delete except at the end of @CWD o Failed to change directory to '$dir' HISTORY
Michael wanted "local chdir" to work. p5p didn't. But it wasn't over! Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor? Hell, no! Abigail and/or Bryan Warnock suggested the $CWD thing (Michael forgets which). They were right. The "chdir()" override was eliminated in 0.04. David became co-maintainer with 0.06_01 to fix some chronic Win32 path bugs. As of 0.08, if changing $CWD or @CWD fails to change the directory, an error will be thrown. SEE ALSO
File::pushd, File::Spec, Cwd, "chdir" in perlfunc, "Animal House" <http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0077975/quotes> SUPPORT
Bugs / Feature Requests Please report any bugs or feature requests through the issue tracker at https://rt.cpan.org/Public/Dist/Display.html?Name=File-chdir <https://rt.cpan.org/Public/Dist/Display.html?Name=File-chdir>. You will be notified automatically of any progress on your issue. Source Code This is open source software. The code repository is available for public review and contribution under the terms of the license. https://github.com/dagolden/file-chdir <https://github.com/dagolden/file-chdir> git clone git://github.com/dagolden/file-chdir.git AUTHORS
o David A Golden <dagolden@cpan.org> o Michael G Schwern <schwern@pobox.com> (original author) COPYRIGHT AND LICENSE
This software is copyright (c) 2012 by Michael G Schwern and David A Golden. This is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it under the same terms as the Perl 5 programming language system itself. perl v5.16.2 2012-09-17 File::chdir(3)