Sponsored Content
Homework and Emergencies Homework & Coursework Questions grep Simulation Using Only Unbuffered I/O - C Post 302514731 by jdkirby on Sunday 17th of April 2011 09:01:37 PM
Old 04-17-2011
Thank you for the help! Using your suggestion, I rewrote my own getline to serve the purpose I needed:

Code:
int getline(int infile, char *buf, char *pattern)
{
        int n;
        int count = 0;          // track line number
        int occurences = 0;     // track number of occurences

for (n = 0; n < (max - 1); n++) // while not EOF--b will grab each read
        {

// point of this section is to read one byte at a time until end of line
                ssize_t b = read(infile, buf + n, 1);   // read one byte at a time
                if (b <= 0)                     // EOF or error
                {
                        buf[n] = '\0';
                        if (b == -1)
                                error("Error while reading file %s\n", infile);
                }

if (buf[n] == '\n')     // end of line
                {
                        count++;
                        buf[n+1] = '\0';
                        occurences += checkPattern(pattern, buf, count);
                        n = -1;
                }
        }

buf[n] = '\0';
        return occurences;
}

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help capturing and reformatting buffered and unbuffered output

Ok, so I have a shell script which runs a specific command, and that command sends it's output to the display. At certain times, the command sends buffered output, and at other times, the command sends unbuffered output in the form of a % progress bar, so if I run the command, the output I receive... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: vikingshelmut
0 Replies

2. Programming

unbuffered streams.

#include "../ourhdr.h" int main(void) { int c; char *buf; setvbuf(stdin,buf,_IONBF,10); setvbuf(stdout,buf,_IONBF,10); while((c=getc(stdin)) != EOF) { if(putc(c,stdout) == EOF) err_sys("output... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: gandhevinod
2 Replies

3. Windows & DOS: Issues & Discussions

unix simulation

hello everybody.. im new to this forum.. i have sme basic knowledge about unix.. but not too much.. i would like to practice shell programs n perl using a unix simulator.. but then i don't know wht a unix simulator means? just a bald definition that it creates a unix working environment in windows... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: esash
5 Replies

4. Solaris

Results Load Simulation

If i simulate a load on a solaris system to choke the system to 90% CPU usage .. what is likely to increase .. my systems fan rpms, cpu temperature, power drawn .. Can anybody tell me (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: fugitive
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Remote simulation and 'at' command

Hey, Task seems to be quite easy, but I'm still a bit green in shell scripting. I hope you can help me a bit. I have to run some simulation at the distance by remote terminal. Normally when I'm working on the server directly I just type: mpirun -np 8 compressibleInterFoam -parallel > log.txt... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: PiPrus
7 Replies

6. Programming

Simulation using C/C++ and Java

Hi, I'm just start to learning simulate a network protocol using C/C++ and Java from scratch. Actually, I want to make two nodes can communicate using TCP and UDP protocol, for example http connection and video streaming, respectively. Can anyone help me find several references or guidance... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: nica
0 Replies

7. UNIX and Linux Applications

2D collision simulation-programming

Hello, everybody, I'm thankful for the great helps you gave during the past year. Now I'm facing a serious problem: I was obliged to write a 2D collision simulation applet, and my experience is only in C,C++,Intelx86 assembly. I have no experience in Java and the like, and I don't know... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: JackCrital2005
2 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Simulation of an ATM interface

Hi guys, I recently discovered this problem and any help would be great. 1) Create a file in vi named Accounts_File with the following data: The user, the name, the pin number, current balance and transaction history. There are 3 users who need to be inputted with all their PIN, etc... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Jimmy_c
1 Replies

9. IP Networking

OLSR simulation in ns2

# Create the simulator object that we need in order to run NS set ns # Set the parameters that we will use for wireless communications set val(chan) Channel/WirelessChannel ;# channel type set val(prop) Propagation/TwoRayGround ;# radio-propagation model set... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: amithkhandakar
0 Replies

10. Cybersecurity

DDoS Simulation Tools

are there any popular DDoS simulation tools to test my own infrastructure? Anyone tried to setup all these in AWS EC2? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: boriskong
1 Replies
GETLINE(3)						     Linux Programmer's Manual							GETLINE(3)

NAME
getline, getdelim - delimited string input SYNOPSIS
#include <stdio.h> ssize_t getline(char **lineptr, size_t *n, FILE *stream); ssize_t getdelim(char **lineptr, size_t *n, int delim, FILE *stream); Feature Test Macro Requirements for glibc (see feature_test_macros(7)): getline(), getdelim(): Since glibc 2.10: _POSIX_C_SOURCE >= 200809L Before glibc 2.10: _GNU_SOURCE DESCRIPTION
getline() reads an entire line from stream, storing the address of the buffer containing the text into *lineptr. The buffer is null-termi- nated and includes the newline character, if one was found. If *lineptr is set to NULL and *n is set 0 before the call, then getline() will allocate a buffer for storing the line. This buffer should be freed by the user program even if getline() failed. Alternatively, before calling getline(), *lineptr can contain a pointer to a malloc(3)-allocated buffer *n bytes in size. If the buffer is not large enough to hold the line, getline() resizes it with realloc(3), updating *lineptr and *n as necessary. In either case, on a successful call, *lineptr and *n will be updated to reflect the buffer address and allocated size respectively. getdelim() works like getline(), except that a line delimiter other than newline can be specified as the delimiter argument. As with get- line(), a delimiter character is not added if one was not present in the input before end of file was reached. RETURN VALUE
On success, getline() and getdelim() return the number of characters read, including the delimiter character, but not including the termi- nating null byte (''). This value can be used to handle embedded null bytes in the line read. Both functions return -1 on failure to read a line (including end-of-file condition). In the event of an error, errno is set to indicate the cause. ERRORS
EINVAL Bad arguments (n or lineptr is NULL, or stream is not valid). ENOMEM Allocation or reallocation of the line buffer failed. ATTRIBUTES
For an explanation of the terms used in this section, see attributes(7). +----------------------+---------------+---------+ |Interface | Attribute | Value | +----------------------+---------------+---------+ |getline(), getdelim() | Thread safety | MT-Safe | +----------------------+---------------+---------+ CONFORMING TO
Both getline() and getdelim() were originally GNU extensions. They were standardized in POSIX.1-2008. EXAMPLE
#define _GNU_SOURCE #include <stdio.h> #include <stdlib.h> int main(int argc, char *argv[]) { FILE *stream; char *line = NULL; size_t len = 0; ssize_t nread; if (argc != 2) { fprintf(stderr, "Usage: %s <file> ", argv[0]); exit(EXIT_FAILURE); } stream = fopen(argv[1], "r"); if (stream == NULL) { perror("fopen"); exit(EXIT_FAILURE); } while ((nread = getline(&line, &len, stream)) != -1) { printf("Retrieved line of length %zu: ", nread); fwrite(line, nread, 1, stdout); } free(line); fclose(stream); exit(EXIT_SUCCESS); } SEE ALSO
read(2), fgets(3), fopen(3), fread(3), scanf(3) COLOPHON
This page is part of release 4.15 of the Linux man-pages project. A description of the project, information about reporting bugs, and the latest version of this page, can be found at https://www.kernel.org/doc/man-pages/. GNU
2017-09-15 GETLINE(3)