Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Get characters between two words Post 302514714 by mirni on Sunday 17th of April 2011 06:49:18 PM
Old 04-17-2011
What exactly are you trying to extract and combine there?
What fields? Rules, patterns?

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Display text between two words/characters

Using sed or awk, I need to display text between two words/characters. Below are two example inputs and the desired output. In a nutshell, I need the date-range value between the quotes (but only the first occurance of date-range as there can be more than one). Example One Input: xml-report... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: cmichaelson
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script for pulling words of 4 to 7 characters from a file

Even just advice on where to start would be helpful. Thank You (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Azeus
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

deleting symbols and characters between two words

Hi Please tell me how could i delete symbols, whitespaces, characters, words everything between two words in a line. Let my file is aaa BB ccc ddd eee FF kkk xxx 123456 BB 44^& iop FF 999 xxx uuu rrr BB hhh nnn FF 000 I want to delete everything comes in between BB and FF( deletion... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: rish_max
3 Replies

4. Programming

Counting characters, words, spaces, punctuations, etc.

I am very new to C programming. How could I write a C program that could count the characters, words, spaces, and punctuations in a text file? Any help will be really appreciated. I am doing this as part of my C learning exercise. Thanks, Ajay (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: ajay41aj
4 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Vim help - delete words in a file or characters after pattern

I have a file with words that begin with character #. Whenver that character is found that word should be deleted throughout the file. How do I do that in VIM. e.g: afkajfa ladfa ljafa #222222 kjafad ljl afajkj kjlj uouu #44444 jlkj lkjl Output should be afkajfa ladfa ljafa kjafad... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: osbourneric
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replace words with the first characters

Hello folks, I have a simple request but I can't find a simple solution. Hare is my problem. I have some dates, I need to replace months with only the first 3 characters (jan for january, feb for february, ... all in lower case) ~$ echo '3 october 2010' | sed 3 oct 2010I thought of something... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: tukuyomi
8 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Merging words splitted into characters with awk

I have an OCR output with some words splitted into single characters separated by blank spaces, and I want the same text with these words written correctly. Example: This is a text w i t h some s p l i t e d W o r d s . The regular expression for matching splitted words could be something... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: dokamo
5 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

deleting words in list with more than 2 identical adjacent characters

Morning Guys & Gals, I am trying to figure out a way to remove lines from a file that have more than 2 identical characters in sequence.. So if for instance the list would look like ; the output would be ; I can't seem to get my head around perl (among many other... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: TAPE
7 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Perl: Pattern to remove words with less than 2 characters.

Hello. I've been thinking about how to go about this. I know I'm close but still does not work. I need to remove any word in that is not at least 2 characters long. I've removed all the non-alphabetic characters already (numbers included). Here's an example: my $string = "This string is a... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: D2K
4 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need to extract characters between two search words in a script!!

Hi, I have a log file which is the output from a xml script : <?xml version="1.0" ?> <!DOCTYPE svc_result SYSTEM "MLP_SVC_RESULT_320.DTD"> <svc_result ver="3.2.0"> <slia ver="3.0.0"> <pos> <msid type="MSISDN" enc="ASC">8093078040</msid> <poserr> ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: arjunstarz
4 Replies
strextract(1)						      General Commands Manual						     strextract(1)

NAME
strextract - batch string extraction SYNOPSIS
strextract [-p patternfile] [-i ignorefile] [-d] [source-program...] OPTIONS
Ignore text strings specified in ignorefile. By default, the strextract command searches for ignorefile in the current working directory, your home directory, and /usr/lib/nls. If you omit the -i option, strextract recognizes all strings specified in the patterns file. Use patternfile to match strings in the input source program. By default, the command searches for the pattern file in the current working directory, your home direc- tory, and finally /usr/lib/nls. If you omit the -p option, the strextract command uses a default patterns file that is stored in /usr/lib/nls/patterns. Disables warnings of duplicate strings. If you omit the -d option, strextract prints warnings of duplicate strings in your source program. DESCRIPTION
The strextract command extracts text strings from source programs. This command also writes the string it extracts to a message text file. The message text file contains the text for each message extracted from your input source program. The strextract command names the file by appending to the name of the input source program. In the source-program argument, you name one or more source programs from which you want messages extracted. The strextract command does not extract messages from source programs included using the #include directive. Therefore, you might want a source program and all the source programs it includes on a single strextract command line. You can create a patterns file (as specified by patternfile ) to control how the strextract command extracts text. The patterns file is divided into several sections, each of which is identified by a keyword. The keyword must start at the beginning of a new line, and its first character must be a dollar sign ($). Following the identifier, you specify a number of patterns. Each pattern begins on a new line and follows the regular expression syntax you use in the regexp(3) routine. For more information on the patterns file, see the patterns(4) reference page. In addition to the patterns file, you can create a file that indicates strings that extract ignores. Each line in this ignore file con- tains a single string to be ignored that follows the syntax of the regexp(3) routine. When you invoke the strextract command, it reads the patterns file and the file that contains strings it ignores. You can specify a pat- terns file and an ignore file on the strextract command line. Otherwise, the strextract command matches all strings and uses the default patterns file. If strextract finds strings which match the ERROR directive in the pattern file, it reports the strings to standard error (stderr.) but does not write the string to the message file. After running strextract, you can edit the message text file to remove text strings which do not need translating before running strmerge. It is recommended that you use extract command as a visual front end to the strextract command rather than running strextract directly. RESTRICTIONS
Given the default pattern file, you cannot cause strextract to ignore strings in comments that are longer than one line. You can specify only one rewrite string for all classes of pattern matches. The strextract command does not extract strings from files include with #include directive. You must run the strextract commands on these files separately. % strextract -p c_patterns prog.c prog2.c % vi prog.str % strmerge -p c_patterns prog.c prog2.c % gencat prog.cat prog.msg prog2.msg % vi nl_prog.c % vi nl_prog2.c % cc nl_prog.c nl_prog2.c In this example, the strextract command uses the c_patterns file to determine which strings to match. The input source programs are named prog.c and prog2.c. If you need to remove any of the messages or extract one of the created strings, edit the resulting message file, prog.str. Under no condi- tions should you add to this file. Doing so could result in unpredictable behavior. You issue the strmerge command to replace the extracted strings with calls to the message catalog. In response to this command, strmerge, creates the source message catalogs, prog.msg and prog2.msg, and the output source programs, nl_prog.c and nl_prog2.c. You must edit nl_prog.c and nl_prog2.c to include the appropriate catopen and catclose function calls. The gencat command creates a message catalog and the cc command creates an executable program. SEE ALSO
gencat(1), extract(1), strmerge(1), regexp(3), catopen(3), patterns(4) Writing Software for the International Market strextract(1)