Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Logging in unix account taking password from a parameter file Post 302514694 by Corona688 on Sunday 17th of April 2011 02:14:56 PM
Old 04-17-2011
I really wish people would stop suggesting expect as the duct-tape universal solution to interactive login issues. They're often not doing you any favors and inviting the creation of moon-sized security holes. These utilities are designed to prevent you from using stored plaintext passwords for a reason -- it's a really bad idea.

Do what you need to do as root instead, or perhaps with sudo configured to let you and only you do this and only this one particular thing as root, in one particular way. Things shouldn't prompt you for user passwords when you're root, which prevents the need for an insecure file holding the passwords for every user on your system, in plaintext. Sheesh!
This User Gave Thanks to Corona688 For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

not taking password for su on mac os x

Hello, I can't install matlab on my new mac os X because I am not logged in as a superuser. I type su root and it doesn't take my password. It just says sorry. Is there a way to just reset it? Thanks, Z (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: zitz
3 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Change Account to not lock account if password expires

I have access to 15+ UNIX boxes at work, and I do not consistently log onto all of them over time. When I do try to access one I havent been on in awhile, my account is locked as the password has expired. I need to request to the UNIX SA's that the password expiration is 90 days and that if it... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: stringzz
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

How to update my account password on 100 unix server ?

Hi We have over 100 unix servers. They include linux,solaris,aix,hp and sgi. I use telnet for some and ssh for rest. Note: none of this server has expect which i can use to update.So i am looking for expert who can help me with their script or guide me write KSH script to automate this. Thank... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: humaurtum
6 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Execute via crontab taking username/password from file

Dear All Here is the details what i want to achieve from shell scripts I have a sever where 5 databases are created. which i having diffrent SID's. Now i want to execute some SQL queries on each one of the databases. (SQL Query is same).That i want to acheive via crontab Now each one of the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jhon
2 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

User account logging

Hi - I want to log commands typed by oraapps user with time into some log file on runtime. HISTTIMEFORMAT="%d/%m/%y %T " works but any one with oraapps user can delete the history. OS : RHEl 5.6 Any help is appreciated. (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: oraclermanpt
5 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

SQLPLUS Password Parameter file being used when logging in

Good day to everyone. This is my first time posting and just barely above basic Unix training. I think i have search thoroughly to ensure my question hasn't already been posted. But on the off chance the answer has been posted, please be nice as I am not 100% sure I know what I am looking for. I... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Mrjester
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Taking mirror copy of the application id and password into the new UNIX machine

I am working in Datastage Migration project. The applications has to be moved from legacy machines to the new machines. all the applications will be having their own application id and password (non expiry) created in the unix (5.3). Now the scripts and the datastage applications has to be moved... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: kmanivan82
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Tar file with logging and directory via parameter

Hi all, I am fairly new to shell scripting and I am trying the following: My shell script creates a tar file with files with the ending ~. The directory - where the files and sub directories are located - comes as a parameter when I call the script. Files that are archived will be written in... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: neg42
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Get the two parameter from text file in UNIX.

Hi there, In my attachment there is 'Category/Subcategory' & 'Setting'. var=$(awk '/^Logon\/Logoff/ {P=0} P {print $0} FNR==1{printf("From file %s:\n", FILENAME)} /^System/ {P=1}' $file |grep -ia "IPsec Driver" );echo $var As of now I am able to From File: Policies.txt IPsec... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: alvinoo
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Logging in to 100 server to test my account

I have been logging to 100 server everyday to test if I can login to the server. I created a script to ssh-copy-id to every host so next time it will be password less. Now it keeps prompting me Are you sure you want to continue connecting (yes/no)? yes This is normal for first time login.... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: invinzin21
2 Replies
LOGIN(8)						      System Manager's Manual							  LOGIN(8)

NAME
login.krb5 - kerberos enhanced login program SYNOPSIS
login.krb5 [-p] [-fFe username] [-r | -k | -K | -h hostname] DESCRIPTION
login.krb5 is a modification of the BSD login program which is used for two functions. It is the sub-process used by krlogind and telnetd to initiate a user session and it is a replacement for the command-line login program which, when invoked with a password, acquires Ker- beros tickets for the user. login.krb5 will prompt for a username, or take one on the command line, as login.krb5 username and will then prompt for a password. This password will be used to acquire Kerberos Version 5 tickets (if possible.) It will also attempt to run aklog to get AFS tokens for the user. The version 5 tickets will be tested against a local krb5.keytab if it is available, in order to verify the tickets, before letting the user in. However, if the password matches the entry in /etc/passwd the user will be unconditionally allowed (permitting use of the machine in case of network failure.) OPTIONS
-p preserve the current environment -r hostname pass hostname to rlogind. Must be the last argument. -h hostname pass hostname to telnetd, etc. Must be the last argument. -f name Perform pre-authenticated login, e.g., datakit, xterm, etc.; allows preauthenticated login as root. -F name Perform pre-authenticated login, e.g., datakit, xterm, etc.; allows preauthenticated login as root. -e name Perform pre-authenticated, encrypted login. Must do term negotiation. CONFIGURATION
login.krb5 is also configured via krb5.conf using the login stanza. A collection of options dealing with initial authentication are pro- vided: krb5_get_tickets Use password to get V5 tickets. Default value true. krb_run_aklog Attempt to run aklog. Default value false. aklog_path Where to find it [not yet implemented.] Default value $(prefix)/bin/aklog. accept_passwd Don't accept plaintext passwords [not yet implemented]. Default value false. DIAGNOSTICS
All diagnostic messages are returned on the connection or tty associated with stderr. SEE ALSO
rlogind(8), rlogin(1), telnetd(8) LOGIN(8)