Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: echo & sed problems
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting echo & sed problems Post 302514459 by Shell_Life on Friday 15th of April 2011 06:09:09 PM
Old 04-15-2011
Place the entire string between single quotes (').

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

combine 2 lines (command & echo)

does anyone know how to combine 2 lines? this is what im playing around with. (filename: online, user name: prml0001, real name: primal) #!/bin/sh who | grep $1 > /dev/null if then grep $1 /etc/passwd | cut -f 5, -d : echo is logged on exit 0 else grep $1... (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: primal
13 Replies

2. What is on Your Mind?

[[ $(date +%Y) == 2007 ]] && echo "Happy New Year"

Same as the Title! :) (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ripat
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

echo in ksh sh & bash

Hello, I have lib file which contain a function that get text to print on screen by echo command. Several scripts are inculde this lib and use this function. Each one of them is written in different shell language (sh ksh & bash). This causing some issues when using backslash charater as... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Alalush
4 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Problems with Echo command

Hi there im having a problem with an echo command and have been trying to fix it for a little while now but just cant seem to see the issue. The code is as follows: #!/bin/bash #Filename: Assignment Author: Luke Francis echo "OPERATOR ADMINISTRATIVE TOOL" echo "Please enter your password:"... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: warlock129
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

"sed" to check file size & echo " " to destination file

Hi, I've modified the syslogd source to include a thread that will keep track of a timer(or a timer thread). My intention is to check the file size of /var/log/messages in every one minute & if the size is more than 128KB, do a echo " " > /var/log/messages, so that the file size will be set... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: jockey007
7 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed & areas respectively sed & pyramiding

Hello everyone, i wonder if someone could give me an advice regarding the following problem using sed. Given ist a structure as shown below: <aaa>text1<b>text2</b>text3<c>text4</c>text5</aaa> Now I want to change the outer tag from "aaa" to "new" and replace all tags inside the outer tags... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Donaldinho
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Append && echo "success" to all commands

I am learning to build from SVN and other tools, with a lot of copying and pasting from forums. I like to append && echo "success" to all commands so that I can see at a glance if things went all right. Is there a way that I can have the bash shell append this to all commands? Thanks! (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: dotancohen
5 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

\n in ksh using echo & printf

#!/usr/bin/ksh var1="Hi World" var2="Morning" var3=$(echo "$var1" \n "$var2") echo $var3 var3=$(printf "$var1 \n $var2") echo $var3 Output Any way to get in my $var3 ? (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: dahlia84
7 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Problems with ampersand (&) in sed command

Hello everybody, I have a Problem with sed command. I want to replace a defined string with a string from a database field (dynamic). e.g. sed -i -e 's/%NAME%/'"$HNAME"'/g' The Problem is that the $HNAME variable can contain Special characters like '&' e.g. HNAME="AH Kruger & Co. KG" ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Bambuti2000
1 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Echo "abc" | sed - r 's/a/&_&/

I want to know the working of & here step by step using sed command. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Preeti07
1 Replies
DP(8)                                                                [nmh-1.5]                                                               DP(8)

NAME
dp - parse dates 822-style SYNOPSIS
/usr/lib/mh/dp [-form formatfile] [-format string] [-width columns] [-version] [-help] dates ... DESCRIPTION
Dp is a program that parses dates according to the ARPA Internet standard. It also understands many non-standard formats, such as those produced by TOPS-20 sites and some UNIX sites using ctime(3). It is useful for seeing how nmh will interpret a date. The dp program treats each argument as a single date, and prints the date out in the official 822-format. Hence, it is usually best to enclose each argument in quotes for the shell. To override the output format used by dp, the -format string or -format file switches are used. This permits individual fields of the address to be extracted with ease. The string is simply a format string and the file is simply a format file. See mh-format(5) for the details. Here is the default format string used by dp: %<(nodate{text})error: %{text}%|%(putstr(pretty{text}))%> which says that if an error was detected, print the error, a `:', and the date in error. Otherwise, output the 822-proper format of the date. FILES
$HOME/.mh_profile The user profile PROFILE COMPONENTS
None SEE ALSO
ap(8), Standard for the Format of ARPA Internet Text Messages (RFC-822) DEFAULTS
`-format' default as described above `-width' default to the width of the terminal CONTEXT
None BUGS
The argument to the -format switch must be interpreted as a single token by the shell that invokes dp. Therefore, one must usually place the argument to this switch inside quotes. MH.6.8 11 June 2012 DP(8)