Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting AWK- extracting values from columns, saving them and gettins statistics Post 302514444 by cgkmal on Friday 15th of April 2011 05:06:43 PM
Old 04-15-2011
Hi acsg,

You can use sort command:

Code:
sort -k1,1n -s inputfile
160 1
160 2
160 3
161 2
161 3
161 4
161 6
162 2
162 3
162 1

See "man sort" and you'll get that:
-k=Option to set the key as sort by field 1
-n=Option to set do a numeric sort
-s=Option to stabilize sort by disabling last-resort comparison

Hope it helps.

Regards
This User Gave Thanks to cgkmal For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Extracting lines and saving - awk

Hi All, I am trying to extract lines bsed on pattern matching../mp straight-flow/ Extracted output should be saved in meta_string , but the code is not working in that manner,saving repeated lines. can anyone please suggest where am i going wrong. /mp straight-flow/ {... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: madhaviece
6 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

saving values from awk expression into shell array

hi i am trying to save the values i extract from a file with the help of awk in a bash shell array. i have: exec 10<file2 while read LINE <&10; do ARRAY1=$(awk '{print $1}' file2) ((count++)) done echo ${ARRAY1} it prints just blank lines. file1 has two columns and i... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: npatwardhan
4 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

extracting multiple consecutive columns using awk

Hello, I have a matrix 200*10,000 and I need to extract the columns between 40 and 77. I dont want to write in awk all the columns. eg: awk '{print $40, $41, $42,$43 ... $77}'. I think should exist a better way to do this. (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: auratus42
10 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

saving values in file in an array in awk

hi i am trying to save values in a file in an array in awk..the file is as follows: 0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0, 0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0, 0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0, so far i have this: awk 'BEGIN {RS="\n";FS=","} { for(i=1;i<=NR;i++) { for(j=1;j<=NF;j++) { a=$j; } } (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: npatwardhan
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

extracting columns with awk

Friends, I have a file with fileds in the following order sda 4.80 114.12 128.69 978424 1103384 sdb 0.03 0.40 0.00 3431 0 sda 1.00 0.00 88.00 0 176 sdb ... (14 Replies)
Discussion started by: achak01
14 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Extracting columns from multiple files with awk

hi everyone! I already posted it in scripts, I'm sorry, it's doubled I'd like to extract a single column from 5 different files and put them together in an output file. I saw a similar question for 2 input files, and the line of code workd very well, the code is: awk 'NR==FNR{a=$2; next}... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: orcaja
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Extracting columns from multiple files with awk

hi everyone! I'd like to extract a single column from 5 different files and put them together in an output file. I saw a similar question for 2 input files, and the line of code workd very well, the code is: awk 'NR==FNR{a=$2; next} {print a, $2}' file1 file2 I added the file3, file4 and... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: orcaja
10 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Extracting multiple columns with awk

Hi everyone!! I need to apply a simple command to extract columns from a matrix, but I need to extract contemporary from the first to the tenth columns, than from the eleventh to the twentyth and so on... how can i do that? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: gabrysfe
1 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Extracting rows from a text file based on the values of two columns (given ranges)

Hi, I have a tab delimited text file with multiple columns. The second and third columns include numbers that have not been sorted. I want to extract rows where the second column includes a value between -0.01 and 0.01 (including both numbers) and the first third column includes a value between... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: evelibertine
1 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Fixed length file extracting values in columns

How do I extract values in a few columns in a row of a fixed length file? If there are 8 columns and I need to extract values of 2nd,4th and 6 th columns, how do i do that? I used cut command, this I used only for one column. How do I do it more than one column? The below command will give... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: princetd001
1 Replies