Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Piped output from SSH tunnel hangs? Post 302514320 by DGPickett on Friday 15th of April 2011 11:27:45 AM
Old 04-15-2011
Well, sftp is secure, and needs no tunnel. Plain ftp will not tunnel, it is a multi-connection, address and port passing, old protocol. Unless you are addicted to old things, just scp and forget the tunnel.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Programming

using a ssh tunnel with nx compression

hi everybody and thank you for this wondefrul forum this is my first thread posted here and i hope that i could find some help from your part (i am even sure) :D here is the situation: i am to develop an application of remote desktop access such as vnc, vpn and especially nx i want to develop... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: bolboln01
0 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

ssh decipher a tunnel

Two question here, but it's only one on the protocol point of view. If two persons use the same key to connect to a SSH server is there a risk they can decipher the other tunnel. In other terms is that less safe than if they have two separate keys. Same question if two persons use the same user... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: moi
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Stopping SSH tunnel

I have initiated a tunnel for vncserver. now i want to stop it. is there any way except sleep option? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: majid.merkava
2 Replies

4. Cybersecurity

RDP over SSH Tunnel

Hi all, I'm trying have an alternative way of connecting into a Corporate network. Mostly in case the VPN down as I cannot also change the security policy. I want to expose windows RDP over ssh tunnel. I have 3 hosts in my scenario 1- Host a : Windows 2k8 has no internet access just only an... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: h@foorsa.biz
3 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

SSH tunnel working for ssh but not for sshfs

I'm trying to setup a link between my home pc (work-machine) and a server at work (tar-machine) that is behind a gateway (hop-machine) and not directly accessible. my actions: work-machine$ ssh -L 1234:tar-machine:22 hop-machine work-machine$ ssh -p 1234 user@127.0.0.1 - shh access on... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Vathau
1 Replies

6. IP Networking

Help with SSH tunnel?

I have a Java web app on machine (X) that needs to talk to an LDAP server (Y) on :636, but the LDAP server is only accessible on a particular network. I can login to a machine (Z) on that network from X, and this machine can talk to the LDAP server on :636. How can I tunnel so that X can... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: spacegoose
2 Replies

7. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Ssh tunnel question

Hi all I have a suite of scripts that ssh to remote servers within a cluster and run some tests. This is done from a central server so that all of the test results can be captured in one location. Problem is I now have 509 tests and the number is growing. The scripts work by establishing a... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: steadyonabix
2 Replies

8. Proxy Server

WebSocket over SSH tunnel - is it possible?

Hello, I have a video streaming application that utilizes a WebSocket for the server <-> client communication. My goal is to make the video streaming service available over the internet in the cases where neither the server nor client have public IPs. One way to do this is over a VPN... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: Vladislav
8 Replies

9. Solaris

Tunnel X over ssh for 11.3

Hello Solaris experts: Trying to bring the 11.3 gdm screen over ssh to a Linux Box: I did the following: 1. made chanes to /etc/ssh/sshd_config & bounced ssh daemon: # X11 tunneling options X11Forwarding yes X11DisplayOffset 10 X11UseLocalhost yes 2. From the remote Linux box: ... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: delphys
6 Replies

10. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Tunnel using SSH

I am not clear with the part of concept of Tunneling using ssh. ssh -f -N -L 1029 192.168.1.47:25 james@192.168.1.47 I found out that above code works for me . but didn't quite well understood how ti works and need to ask you guys some questions. since we are using tunnel through ssh ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: lobsang
2 Replies
GIF(4)							   BSD Kernel Interfaces Manual 						    GIF(4)

NAME
gif -- generic tunnel interface SYNOPSIS
pseudo-device gif DESCRIPTION
The gif interface is a generic tunneling pseudo device for IPv4 and IPv6. It can tunnel IPv[46] traffic over IPv[46]. Therefore, there can be four possible configurations. The behavior of gif is mainly based on RFC 2893 IPv6-over-IPv4 configured tunnel. gif can also tunnel ISO traffic over IPv[46] using EON encapsulation. To use gif, the administrator must first create the interface and then configure protocol and addresses used for the outer header. This can be done by using ifconfig(8) create and tunnel subcommands, or SIOCIFCREATE and SIOCSIFPHYADDR ioctls. Also, administrator needs to config- ure protocol and addresses used for the inner header, by using ifconfig(8). Note that IPv6 link-local address (those start with fe80::) will be automatically configured whenever possible. You may need to remove IPv6 link-local address manually using ifconfig(8), when you would like to disable the use of IPv6 as inner header (like when you need pure IPv4-over-IPv6 tunnel). Finally, use routing table to route the packets toward gif interface. gif can be configured to be ECN friendly. This can be configured by IFF_LINK1. ECN friendly behavior gif can be configured to be ECN friendly, as described in draft-ietf-ipsec-ecn-02.txt. This is turned off by default, and can be turned on by IFF_LINK1 interface flag. Without IFF_LINK1, gif will show a normal behavior, like described in RFC 2893. This can be summarized as follows: Ingress Set outer TOS bit to 0. Egress Drop outer TOS bit. With IFF_LINK1, gif will copy ECN bits (0x02 and 0x01 on IPv4 TOS byte or IPv6 traffic class byte) on egress and ingress, as follows: Ingress Copy TOS bits except for ECN CE (masked with 0xfe) from inner to outer. set ECN CE bit to 0. Egress Use inner TOS bits with some change. If outer ECN CE bit is 1, enable ECN CE bit on the inner. Note that the ECN friendly behavior violates RFC 2893. This should be used in mutual agreement with the peer. Packet format Every inner packet is encapsulated in an outer packet. The inner packet may be IPv4, IPv6, or ISO CLNP. The outer packet may be IPv4 or IPv6, and has all the usual IP headers, including a protocol field that identifies the type of inner packet. When the inner packet is IPv4, the protocol field of the outer packet is 4 (IPPROTO_IPV4). When the inner packet is IPv6, the protocol field of the outer packet is 41 (IPPROTO_IPV6). When the inner packet is ISO CNLP, the protocol field of the outer packet is 80 (IPPROTO_EON). Security Malicious party may try to circumvent security filters by using tunneled packets. For better protection, gif performs martian filter and ingress filter against outer source address, on egress. Note that martian/ingress filters are no way complete. You may want to secure your node by using packet filters. Ingress filter can be turned off by IFF_LINK2 bit. EXAMPLES
Configuration example: Host X--NetBSD A ----------------tunnel---------- cisco D------Host E | / +-----Router B--------Router C---------+ On NetBSD system A (NetBSD): # route add default B # ifconfig gifN create # ifconfig gifN A netmask 0xffffffff tunnel A D up # route add E 0 # route change E -ifp gif0 On Host D (Cisco): Interface TunnelX ip unnumbered D ! e.g. address from Ethernet interface tunnel source D ! e.g. address from Ethernet interface tunnel destination A ip route C <some interface and mask> ip route A mask C ip route X mask tunnelX or on Host D (NetBSD): # route add default C # ifconfig gifN D A If all goes well, you should see packets flowing. If you want to reach Host A over the tunnel (from the Cisco D), then you have to have an alias on Host A for e.g. the Ethernet interface like: ifconfig <etherif> alias Y and on the cisco ip route Y mask tunnelX. SEE ALSO
etherip(4), inet(4), inet6(4), ifconfig(8) C. Perkins, "IP Encapsulation within IP", RFC 2003, ftp://ftp.isi.edu/in-notes/rfc2003.txt, October 1996. R. Gilligan and E. Nordmark, "Transition Mechanisms for IPv6 Hosts and Routers", RFC 2893, ftp://ftp.isi.edu/in-notes/rfc2893.txt, August 2000. Sally Floyd, David L. Black, and K. K. Ramakrishnan, IPsec Interactions with ECN, http://datatracker.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf- ipsec-ecn/, December 1999. F. Baker and P. Savola, "Ingress Filtering for Multihomed Networks", RFC 3704, ftp://ftp.isi.edu/in-notes/rfc3704.txt, March 2004. STANDARDS
IPv4 over IPv4 encapsulation is compatible with RFC 2003. IPv6 over IPv4 encapsulation is compatible with RFC 2893. HISTORY
The gif device first appeared in WIDE hydrangea IPv6 kit. BUGS
There are many tunneling protocol specifications, defined differently from each other. gif may not interoperate with peers which are based on different specifications, and are picky about outer header fields. For example, you cannot usually use gif to talk with IPsec devices that use IPsec tunnel mode. The current code does not check if the ingress address (outer source address) configured to gif makes sense. Make sure to configure an address which belongs to your node. Otherwise, your node will not be able to receive packets from the peer, and your node will generate packets with a spoofed source address. If the outer protocol is IPv6, path MTU discovery for encapsulated packet may affect communication over the interface. In the past, gif had a multi-destination behavior, configurable via IFF_LINK0 flag. The behavior was obsoleted and is no longer supported. BSD
January 15, 2009 BSD