Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Timekeeping in Linux question ... Post 302513229 by Perderabo on Tuesday 12th of April 2011 03:21:29 PM
Old 04-12-2011
There is a command called hwclock. If you look at the the man page, where it says "hardware clock", think "bios clock". Anyway this is the command to fiddle with the bios clock.

My opinion: when a system boots it should run hwclock to suck the time out of the bios. Then it should run ntpdate to suck the time out of an NTP server... and this might fail if no NTP server is reachable. Then is should start running NTP.

And if it is running NTP the time should actually stay very accurate even if NTP servers become unavailable. Most computers have rather stable but rather inaccurate clocks.
Code:
$ cat /var/lib/ntp/drift
$

That is the clock error in parts per million. This (very roughly) means that one million + 8.744 local microseconds are needed to increment the clock by one second. ntpd will continue to enforce that metric even if an NTP server cannot be contacted. 8.744 ppm is about 5.2 seconds per week. My system time would be much better off spending a week with ntpd running without NTP servers than it would spending a week with the clock running wild.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

linux newbie question...

I'm running Vector Linux on this computer, and everythign works fine, except for the NIC. I run netconfig, and then when I reboot it says: DC21140 at 0x9400(PCI BUS 0, device 11) h/w address 00:00:C0:2E:13:dC, and reqquires IRQ 9(provided by PCI BIOS) Setting up net subsytems. ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Corey
5 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Timekeeping problem

Hello everyone I am currently exploring the different time keeping commands in linux. and I having a lot of trouble figuring out the advantages and disadvantages of using daytime command rdate and hwclock and such commands. Can someone link me to good articles or just give me the answer (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: maniac173
5 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Linux LVM Question

I've three partitions on /dev/sda: sda1, sda2 sda3. There is FREE space between sda2 and sda3 and sda3 ends on the last sector. sda2 and sda3 have the same number of sectors allocated and so are the exact same size. /dev/sda2 is already part of the VG VolGroup. However, what puzzles me is that... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Devyn
0 Replies

4. Linux

(ASK) Question about linux network...

hi all, im linux nubie n want to ask, 1. how to access the windows pc? if from windows to windows, we can use : start-run-\\192.168.1.1\e$ now, how about from linux (fedora) n want to access to windows drive? if I use ssh from linux to windows, ssh 192.168.6.171 ssh: connect... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: busoh.sensen
6 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

linux installation question?

Hi I accidentally installed another operating system after I had installed Linux and now I can no longer access your Linux system.any solution? Thanks (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: adam25bc
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

New to Linux, have some simple question

Hi All, Here is the problem: I have done a c++ code in Visual Studio 2010, it's a simple project that only have one main function which takes 2 parameters: an integer and a file that stores data. Now, I am asked to write a shell script in linux to execute my main function. I asked my professor... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: EasonRU
1 Replies

7. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Linux fdisk question (Oracle Enterprise Linux)

OS: Oracle Enterprise Linux 6.2 Hypervisor: VMWare workstation 9 I created a VM and attached a 7gb virtual disk to it. Using fdisk , I partioned the disk like below. The filesystems mounted on this is working fine. But I am seeing the message Partition n does not end on cylinder boundary.... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: kraljic
2 Replies

8. Linux

Question on Linux Binary

Hi All, On linux system copied a /bin/kill to /bin/killlatest, when i tried to kill a command using /bin/killlatest it is failing with below errors /bin/killlatest 12345 ERROR: no "killlatest" support. Please help on this.. My ideas is to write a wrapper over killl command to find out who... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: sridhar8183
5 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

New to Linux scripting question

hello i am new to scripting and Linux in general. i am going to school for sys admin and i will need at least some knowledge on scripting. i have been so far ok with learning basic scripting now i am stuck. with a assignment that i was given it was create a script that will tell you if a number... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: dragonwrench
2 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Linux question on directories..

Hi, First server every thing is working but keeps crashing so to be on the safe side created second server and moved all the files. But I notice there is a " dot " at the end. See below. Not sure what that means. Also getting 403 on Apache. Please see below. Thanks you so much. ls -l... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: samnyc
4 Replies
ntpdate(8)						      System Manager's Manual							ntpdate(8)

NAME
ntpdate - set the date and time via NTP SYNOPSIS
ntpdate [-bBdoqsuv] [-a key] [-e authdelay] [-k keyfile] [-o version] [-p samples] [-t timeout] server [...] DESCRIPTION
ntpdate sets the local date and time by polling the Network Time Protocol (NTP) server(s) given as the server arguments to determine the correct time. It must be run as root on the local host (unless the option -q is used). A number of samples are obtained from each of the servers specified and a subset of the NTP clock filter and selection algorithms are applied to select the best of these. Note that the accuracy and reliability of ntpdate depends on the number of servers, the number of polls each time it is run and the interval between runs. ntpdate can be run manually as necessary to set the host clock, or it can be run from the host startup script to set the clock at boot time. This is useful in some cases to set the clock initially before starting the NTP daemon ntpd. It is also possible to run ntpdate from a cron script. However, it is important to note that ntpdate with contrived cron scripts is no substitute for the NTP daemon, which uses sophisticated algorithms to maximize accuracy and reliability while minimizing resource use. Finally, since ntpdate does not discipline the host clock frequency as does ntpd, the accuracy using ntpdate is limited. Time adjustments are made by ntpdate in one of two ways. If ntpdate determines the clock is in error more than 0.5 second it will simply step the time by calling the system settimeofday() routine. If the error is less than 0.5 seconds, it will slew the time by calling the system adjtime() routine. The latter technique is less disruptive and more accurate when the error is small, and works quite well when ntp- date is run by cron every hour or two. ntpdate will decline to set the date if an NTP server daemon (e.g., ntpd) is running on the same host. When running ntpdate on a regular basis from cron as an alternative to running a daemon, doing so once every hour or two will result in precise enough timekeeping to avoid stepping the clock. OPTIONS
-a key Enable the authentication function and specify the key identifier to be used for authentication as the argument keyntpdate. The keys and key identifiers must match in both the client and server key files. The default is to disable the authentication function. -B Force the time to always be slewed using the adjtime() system call, even if the measured offset is greater than +-128 ms. The default is to step the time using settimeofday() if the offset is greater than +-128 ms. Note that, if the offset is much greater than +-128 ms in this case, that it can take a long time (hours) to slew the clock to the correct value. During this time, the host should not be used to synchronize clients. -b Force the time to be stepped using the settimeofday() system call, rather than slewed (default) using the adjtime() system call. This option should be used when called from a startup file at boot time. -d Enable the debugging mode, in which ntpdate will go through all the steps, but not adjust the local clock. Information useful for general debugging will also be printed. -e authdelay Specify the processing delay to perform an authentication function as the value authdelay, in seconds and fraction (see ntpd for details). This number is usually small enough to be negligible for most purposes, though specifying a value may improve timekeeping on very slow CPU's. -k keyfile Specify the path for the authentication key file as the string keyfile. The default is /etc/ntp.keys. This file should be in the format described in ntpd. -o version Specify the NTP version for outgoing packets as the integer version, which can be 1 or 2. The default is 3. This allows ntpdate to be used with older NTP versions. -p samples Specify the number of samples to be acquired from each server as the integer samples, with values from 1 to 8 inclusive. The default is 4. -q Query only - don't set the clock. -s Divert logging output from the standard output (default) to the system syslog facility. This is designed primarily for convenience of cron scripts. -t timeout Specify the maximum time waiting for a server response as the value timeout, in seconds and fraction. The value is is rounded to a multiple of 0.2 seconds. The default is 1 second, a value suitable for polling across a LAN. -u Direct ntpdate to use an unprivileged port for outgoing packets. This is most useful when behind a firewall that blocks incoming traffic to privileged ports, and you want to synchronise with hosts beyond the firewall. Note that the -d option always uses unpriv- ileged ports. -v Be verbose. This option will cause ntpdate's version identification string to be logged. DIAGNOSTICS
ntpdate's exit status is zero if it found a server and could update the clock, and nonzero otherwise. FILES
/etc/ntp.keys - encryption keys used by ntpdate. BUGS
The slew adjustment is actually 50% larger than the measured offset, since this (it is argued) will tend to keep a badly drifting clock more accurate. This is probably not a good idea and may cause a troubling hunt for some values of the kernel variables tick and tickadj. AUTHOR
David L. Mills (mills@udel.edu) This manpage converted from html to roff by Fabrizio Polacco <fpolacco@debian.org> SEE ALSO
ntpdate-debian(8) ntpdate(8)