Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting perl or sed replace lines only if for all files Post 302513052 by kurumi on Tuesday 12th of April 2011 08:54:17 AM
Old 04-12-2011
the variable $. will not reset to 1 once the next file starts. It will continue counting.
This User Gave Thanks to kurumi For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

using sed command to replace multiple lines

the file contains the follwoing lines /* * Copyright (C) 1995-1996 by XXX Corporation. This program * contains proprietary and confidential information. All rights reserved * except as may be permitted by prior written consent. * * $Id: xxx_err.h,v 1.10 2001/07/26 18:48:34 zzzz $ ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: radha.kalivar
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

SED - Search and replace lines containing...

Hi, I need a sed line that will find all lines that contain "<int key="NSWindowStyleMask">" and then replace the entire line (not just that one string) with "<int key="NSWindowStyleMask">8223</int>". It doesn't necessarily have to use sed as long as it gets the job done :) Thanks (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: pcwiz
9 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed find and replace multiple lines

I am new to linux and would like to modify the contents of a file preferably using a one line. The situation is as follows <start> some lines "I am the string" "replace string" more lines here <end> In the above example,On encountering "I am the string", the "replace string "should be... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: supersimha
6 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replace multiple lines between tags using sed

I have a file example.txt with content look like this: <TAG> 1 2 3 </TAG> and I use a sed command to replace everything between <TAG></TAG> as below: sed -e 's/\(<TAG>\)*\(<.*\)/something/g' example.txt > example.txt.new But unfortunately, the command failed to replace as i want, it... (23 Replies)
Discussion started by: dollylamb
23 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed to replace two lines with one

I want to use sed to check if a short line is contained in the line after it, and if it is, to delete the short one. In other words, the input is... This is a This is a line ... and I want it to give me... This is a line Here's what I've tried so far: s/\(^.*\)\n\(\1.*$\)/\2/ Also,... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: estebandido
7 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed to replace a line with 2 or more different lines in same file

i have something like this... cat filename.txt <complexType name="abc"> bklah vlah blah blha blha blah blha </complexType > <complexType name="def"> bklah vlah blah blha blha blah blha </complexType > . . .and so on.. its a very large file (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: vivek d r
11 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to replace a text containing new lines using sed or any other method?

Hi, i want to replace "Hi How are You when did you go to delhi" to "Hi How are you when did you come from delhi" in a file. Any idea how to do it? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: abhitanshu
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replace multiple lines through sed

Hi All, I have a input file as sample below <this is not starting of file> record line1 line2 line3 end line4 line5 record line6 line7 line8 my requirement is this, i want to select a pattern between first record and end, whatever is written between first record and end. and... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: adgangwar
0 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Sed/awk/perl command to replace pattern in multiple lines

Hi I know sed and awk has options to give range of line numbers, but I need to replace pattern in specific lines Something like sed -e '1s,14s,26s/pattern/new pattern/' file name Can somebody help me in this.... I am fine with see/awk/perl Thank you in advance (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: dani777
9 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

[sed] Replace one line with two lines

Literally cannot get this one, guys. Single line replacement is simple, but I am not understanding the correct syntax for including a new line feed into the substitution part. Here's what I got. (Cannot use perl) #!/bin/sh set -f #Start Perms export HOME=/home/test_user # End Perms... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Parallax
6 Replies
gnomevfs-cat(1) 						   User Commands						   gnomevfs-cat(1)

NAME
gnomevfs-cat - print a file to standard output using the VFS system SYNOPSIS
gnomevfs-cat URI DESCRIPTION
gnomevfs-cat is obsolete. It has been superseded by gvfs-cat. See gvfs-cat(1). gnomevfs-cat prints a file to standard output using the virtual file system to access the file via a URI. OPERANDS
The following operands are supported: URI Specifies the file location in standard URI format. EXAMPLES
Example 1: Cat a File From a Web Server example% gnomevfs-cat http://www.sun.com Example 2: Cat a Local File example% gnomevfs-cat file:///home/user/README.txt ENVIRONMENT VARIABLES
See environ(5) for descriptions of the following environment variables: NLSPATH. EXIT STATUS
The exit value 0 is returned regardless of success or failure. FILES
The following files are used by this application: /usr/bin/gnomevfs-cat Executable to print a file to standard output using the VFS system ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWgnome-vfs | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Interface stability |Obsolete Volatile | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
gnomevfs-copy(1), gnomevfs-info(1), gnomevfs-ls(1), gnomevfs-mkdir(1), gvfs-cat(1), attributes(5), environ(5) NOTES
Written by Stephen Browne, Sun Microsystems Inc., 2004. SunOS 5.11 14 May 2008 gnomevfs-cat(1)