Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Python: generateeuro-millions combinations Post 302512854 by alister on Monday 11th of April 2011 05:44:47 PM
Old 04-11-2011
10 seconds here to write all combinations to a file (3 seconds to just run and count without i/o), on a core2duo 2.16 GHz cpu (circa 2007 laptop).

Code:
$ time ./em.py > out

real    0m10.227s
user    0m9.926s
sys     0m0.300s

$ wc -l out
 2118760 out

In the following code:
n = how many numbers to use (50 = range from 1 to 50)
p = the number of placeholders in the drawing (5)
a = array containing the placeholders
i = shortlived misc index
j = shortlived misc index

Code:
#!/usr/bin/env python

def perms(n, p):
    a = []
    j = p
    for i in range(p):
        a.append(j)
        j -= 1

while True:
        print a
        for i in range(p):
            if a[i] < n - i:
                a[i] += 1
                for j in range(0, i):
                    a[j] = a[i] + i - j
                    break
        else:
            break

if __name__ == '__main__':
    perms(50, 5)

Regards,
Alister

Last edited by alister; 04-11-2011 at 06:53 PM..

8 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

dump/restore of a fs with 100 of millions hardlinks

Hi :-) i have a dump of a backupdisk (~540GB / ext3). The Backups have some 100 millions of hardlinks (backups are created with storeBackup). The OS is linux. A restore of a directory ended after some days with the errormessage "no memory to extend symbol table" The restore of the complete... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: turricum
0 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Generating millions of record using shell script

Hi All, My requirement is like this. I want to generate records of 1 million lines. If I say lines it means one line will contain some string or numbers like AA,3,4,45,+223424234,Tets,Ghdj,+33434,345453434,........................ upto length lets say 41. ( 41 comma sepearted aplha numneric... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Rahil2k9
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

How to zip/tar millions of files?

Hi guys, I have an issue processing a large amount of files. I have around 5 million files (some of them are actually directories) in a server. I am unable to find out the exact number of files since it's taking "forever" to finish (See this thread for more on the issue). Anyway, now I... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: verdepollo
6 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need script to remove millions of tmp files in /html/cache/ directory

Hello, I just saw that on my vps (centOS) my oscommerce with a seo script has created millions of tmp files inside the /html/cache/ directory. I would need to remove all those files (millions), I tried via shell but the vps loads goes to very high and it hangs, is there some way to do a... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: andymc1
7 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need an efficient way to search for a tag in an xml file having millions of rows

Hi, I have an XML file with around 1 billion rows in it and i am trying to find the number of times a particular tag occurs in it. The solution i am using works but takes a lot of time (~1 hr) .Please help me with an efficient way to do this. Lets say the input file is <Root> ... (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: Sheel
13 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Millions of record using shell script

I wanna create a millions of record using shell scripts.. the scenario is somehow like this,,,i want to create the record for these fields in my database..id,name,addrs,sales. So can you please give a overall idea for how to achieve it? (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: shankarpanda003
9 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to create a file contains millions of lines and each line has different datas?

I want to create a file contains millions of lines. The line format like this: acnum$$123456$$+$$Tom$$111$$ fields separated by $$, field 1 and field 3 have only two options:acnum or crenum; + or -. field 4 can be any name or any letters. Other fields can be any fixed length digits. So, I want to... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: hhdzhu
9 Replies

8. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Print a python script down a list in a text file without printing a lot combinations

In a python script I have 2 files printing side by side on the same line. I want to have 1 of the files to be already displayed at once while the other file print down the list in the file and it still will produce new lines. I want to do it like that to reduce printing a lot of lines and... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: bigvito19
0 Replies
IDLE(1) 						      General Commands Manual							   IDLE(1)

NAME
IDLE - An Integrated DeveLopment Environment for Python SYNTAX
idle [ -dins ] [ -t title ] [ file ...] idle [ -dins ] [ -t title ] ( -c cmd | -r file ) [ arg ...] idle [ -dins ] [ -t title ] - [ arg ...] DESCRIPTION
This manual page documents briefly the idle command. This manual page was written for Debian because the original program does not have a manual page. For more information, refer to IDLE's help menu. IDLE is an Integrated DeveLopment Environment for Python. IDLE is based on Tkinter, Python's bindings to the Tk widget set. Features are 100% pure Python, multi-windows with multiple undo and Python colorizing, a Python shell window subclass, a debugger. IDLE is cross-plat- form, i.e. it works on all platforms where Tk is installed. OPTIONS
-h Print this help message and exit. -n Run IDLE without a subprocess (see Help/IDLE Help for details). The following options will override the IDLE 'settings' configuration: -e Open an edit window. -i Open a shell window. The following options imply -i and will open a shell: -c cmd Run the command in a shell, or -r file Run script from file. -d Enable the debugger. -s Run $IDLESTARTUP or $PYTHONSTARTUP before anything else. -t title Set title of shell window. A default edit window will be bypassed when -c, -r, or - are used. [arg]* and [file]* are passed to the command (-c) or script (-r) in sys.argv[1:]. EXAMPLES
idle Open an edit window or shell depending on IDLE's configuration. idle foo.py foobar.py Edit the files, also open a shell if configured to start with shell. idle -est "Baz" foo.py Run $IDLESTARTUP or $PYTHONSTARTUP, edit foo.py, and open a shell window with the title "Baz". idle -c "import sys; print sys.argv" "foo" Open a shell window and run the command, passing "-c" in sys.argv[0] and "foo" in sys.argv[1]. idle -d -s -r foo.py "Hello World" Open a shell window, run a startup script, enable the debugger, and run foo.py, passing "foo.py" in sys.argv[0] and "Hello World" in sys.argv[1]. echo "import sys; print sys.argv" | idle - "foobar" Open a shell window, run the script piped in, passing '' in sys.argv[0] and "foobar" in sys.argv[1]. SEE ALSO
python(1). AUTHORS
Various. 21 September 2004 IDLE(1)