Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Inode: is it both unique and 'permanent'? Post 302512832 by methyl on Monday 11th of April 2011 05:01:47 PM
Old 04-11-2011
@bartus11
Very good example. Overwriting the contents of a file does not change the inode number.
Simple file editors such as "vi" do change the inode number because of the need to preserve the original file up to the last minute in case you abandon the edit.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. IP Networking

Permanent ip routing

I am trying to add a permanent route on my server, but whenever i reboot it dissapears. Please does anyone know the correct command to use. route add XXX.XXX.XXX.XXX DDD.DDD.DDD.DDD the above is what i have done. ednut:) using IRIX SGI software. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Ednut
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Directory Inode Number Not Unique

Hi, I know that inode for each file is unique, but is it the for the directory? So far I found different directories has the same inode nubmer when you do ls -i, could some one explain why? Thanks a lot. (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: nj302
9 Replies

3. Solaris

permanent route

How do I make a route permanent, other than default route on a Solaris server? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jontom
1 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Permanent Alias

On AIX 5.2 as root, installed Seamonkey and have to type #/seakey/seamonkey/seamonkey to get it to run, which it does okay. To set up a permanent alias, I did the following (1) In a text editor alias seamk='/seakey/seamonkey/seamonkey' and saved it to /home/alias_file (2) In a text editor... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: farl
7 Replies

5. Solaris

Permanent changes to PATH

Hi guys, I'm running Solars 8 on a V100 server at home for testing. If I switch user to root and do: # echo $PATH This is the output: /usr/sbin:/usr/bin I'm using rsync over ssh and need to add /usr/local/bin and /user/local/sbin. I do this by running the line: #... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Stin
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

get part of file with unique & non-unique string

I have an archive file that holds a batch of statements. I would like to be able to extract a certain statement based on the unique customer # (ie. 123456). The end for each statement is noted by "ENDSTM". I can find the line number for the beginning of the statement section with sed. ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: andrewsc
5 Replies

7. HP-UX

set permanent ulimit

Hi all I have a request from user to change the file descriptors limit to 8192. The current setting are: root@xxxxx:(wmdev)> ulimit -a time(seconds) unlimited file(blocks) unlimited data(kbytes) 1048576 stack(kbytes) 131072 memory(kbytes) unlimited... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: hedkandi
3 Replies

8. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

rm non-permanent delete

I read this article as a way to do a non-permanent of something. I saw 2 problems. The first that my rm is located at /bin/rm. I would assume I would change the location to /bin/rm. The second my rm is a executable file and not a text file. So will replacing my rm file with the shellscript... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: cokedude
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Change unique file names into new unique filenames

I have 84 files with the following names splitseqs.1, spliseqs.2 etc. and I want to change the .number to a unique filename. E.g. change splitseqs.1 into splitseqs.7114_1#24 and change spliseqs.2 into splitseqs.7067_2#4 So all the current file names are unique, so are the new file names.... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: avonm
1 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Print unique lines without sort or unique

I would like to print unique lines without sort or unique. Unfortunately the server I am working on does not have sort or unique. I have not been able to contact the administrator of the server to ask him to add it for several weeks. (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: cokedude
7 Replies
clri(1M)																  clri(1M)

NAME
clri - clear inode SYNOPSIS
special i-number ... DESCRIPTION
The command clears the inode i-number by filling it with zeros. special must be a special file name referring to a device containing a file system. For proper results, special should not be mounted (see WARNINGS below). After is executed, all blocks in the affected file show up as "missing" in an of special (see fsck(1M)). This command should only be used in emergencies. Read and write permission is required on the specified special device. The inode becomes allocatable. WARNINGS
The primary purpose of this command is to remove a file that for some reason does not appear in any directory. If it is used to clear an inode that does appear in a directory, care should be taken to locate the entry and remove it. Otherwise, when the inode is reallocated to some new file, the old entry in the directory will still point to that file. At that point, removing the old entry destroys the new file, causing the new entry to point to an unallocated inode, so the whole cycle is likely to be repeated again. If the file system is mounted, is likely to be ineffective. DEPENDENCIES
operates only on file systems of type SEE ALSO
fsck(1M), fsdb(1M), ncheck(1M). STANDARDS CONFORMANCE
clri: SVID2, SVID3 clri(1M)