Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Inode: is it both unique and 'permanent'? Post 302512594 by dakke on Monday 11th of April 2011 03:39:24 AM
Old 04-11-2011
Inode: is it both unique and 'permanent'?

I try to understand the meaning of an inode. I wonder whether
  • an inode is unique (I'm pretty sure it is) and
  • whether it remains the same inode regardless of whatever happens to the file, dir or whatever?
I read somewhere that an inode stores info about the file, size... so changing the size might change the inode?

Btw, is there a difference in both features in different platforms? I'm on a mac, but would a linux system be much different?

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. IP Networking

Permanent ip routing

I am trying to add a permanent route on my server, but whenever i reboot it dissapears. Please does anyone know the correct command to use. route add XXX.XXX.XXX.XXX DDD.DDD.DDD.DDD the above is what i have done. ednut:) using IRIX SGI software. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Ednut
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Directory Inode Number Not Unique

Hi, I know that inode for each file is unique, but is it the for the directory? So far I found different directories has the same inode nubmer when you do ls -i, could some one explain why? Thanks a lot. (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: nj302
9 Replies

3. Solaris

permanent route

How do I make a route permanent, other than default route on a Solaris server? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jontom
1 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Permanent Alias

On AIX 5.2 as root, installed Seamonkey and have to type #/seakey/seamonkey/seamonkey to get it to run, which it does okay. To set up a permanent alias, I did the following (1) In a text editor alias seamk='/seakey/seamonkey/seamonkey' and saved it to /home/alias_file (2) In a text editor... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: farl
7 Replies

5. Solaris

Permanent changes to PATH

Hi guys, I'm running Solars 8 on a V100 server at home for testing. If I switch user to root and do: # echo $PATH This is the output: /usr/sbin:/usr/bin I'm using rsync over ssh and need to add /usr/local/bin and /user/local/sbin. I do this by running the line: #... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Stin
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

get part of file with unique & non-unique string

I have an archive file that holds a batch of statements. I would like to be able to extract a certain statement based on the unique customer # (ie. 123456). The end for each statement is noted by "ENDSTM". I can find the line number for the beginning of the statement section with sed. ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: andrewsc
5 Replies

7. HP-UX

set permanent ulimit

Hi all I have a request from user to change the file descriptors limit to 8192. The current setting are: root@xxxxx:(wmdev)> ulimit -a time(seconds) unlimited file(blocks) unlimited data(kbytes) 1048576 stack(kbytes) 131072 memory(kbytes) unlimited... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: hedkandi
3 Replies

8. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

rm non-permanent delete

I read this article as a way to do a non-permanent of something. I saw 2 problems. The first that my rm is located at /bin/rm. I would assume I would change the location to /bin/rm. The second my rm is a executable file and not a text file. So will replacing my rm file with the shellscript... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: cokedude
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Change unique file names into new unique filenames

I have 84 files with the following names splitseqs.1, spliseqs.2 etc. and I want to change the .number to a unique filename. E.g. change splitseqs.1 into splitseqs.7114_1#24 and change spliseqs.2 into splitseqs.7067_2#4 So all the current file names are unique, so are the new file names.... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: avonm
1 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Print unique lines without sort or unique

I would like to print unique lines without sort or unique. Unfortunately the server I am working on does not have sort or unique. I have not been able to contact the administrator of the server to ask him to add it for several weeks. (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: cokedude
7 Replies
matchpathcon_checkmatches(3)				     SELinux API documentation				      matchpathcon_checkmatches(3)

NAME
matchpathcon_checkmatches, matchpathcon_filespec_add, matchpathcon_filespec_destroy, matchpathcon_filespec_eval - check and report whether any specification index has no matches with any inode. Maintenance and statistics on inode associations. SYNOPSIS
#include <selinux/selinux.h> void matchpathcon_checkmatches(char *str); int matchpathcon_filespec_add(ino_t ino, int specind, const char *file); void matchpathcon_filespec_destroy(void); void matchpathcon_filespec_eval(void); DESCRIPTION
matchpathcon_checkmatches checks whether any specification has no matches and reports them. The str argument is used as a prefix for any warning messages. matchpathcon_filespec_add maintains an association between an inode ino and a specification index specind, and checks whether a conflicting specification is already associated with the same inode (e.g. due to multiple hard links). If so, then it uses the latter of the two speci- fications based on their order in the file context configuration. Returns the specification index used or -1 on error. matchpathcon_filespec_destroy destroys any inode associations that have been added, e.g. to restart for a new filesystem. matchpathcon_filespec_eval displays statistics on the hash table usage for the inode associations. RETURN VALUE
Returns zero on success or -1 otherwise. SEE ALSO
selinux(8), matchpathcon(3), matchpathcon_index(3), freecon(3), setfilecon(3), setfscreatecon(3) sds@tycho.nsa.gov 21 November 2009 matchpathcon_checkmatches(3)