Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: What shell does Fedora use?
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting What shell does Fedora use? Post 302512370 by orszhak on Saturday 9th of April 2011 07:30:55 PM
Old 04-09-2011
What shell does Fedora use?

Hey guys. It's Orszhak. I am switching from Windows to Linux Fedora and since I was going to switch soon I figured I'd get to know my command shell and its commands and programming with it. Therefore I need to understand its shell so I could start studying and get the proper information. Anyways thanks!Smilie

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Linux

FEDORA HELP(please)

I RECENTLY LOADED FEDORA LINUX ALL 4CD/S(FULL INSTALL). but i am getting no sound,no proper help documentation.what should i do. Please help. (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: ameya_shaligram
7 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Fedora to be or not to be?

Hiya folks, I been browsing through the forums on information regarding Fedora. I know this is the version I want but what is holding me back now is whether my computer could run it easily? I'am asking this because alot of the forum posts and replies I have read, most of them ask for the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Mr_Pinky
2 Replies

3. Linux

new in fedora

how i can format a usb flash memory from fedora i can see the as /dev/sda1 from terminal pls help me (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sadiquep
2 Replies

4. Linux

Dual Boot Win XP And Fedora with Fedora Installed First

Hi everyone, I hope this question goes here. Anyways, I have a unique situation where my friend's comp has Fedora installed and wants to add Win XP as a dual boot without formatting the drive. Is it possible to create a partition on the current hard drive and then install win xp? I couldn't find... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: eltinator
4 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

ssh to invoke shell in FEDORA 10

Hello sir. I used to invoke the remote terminal in any 2 RED HAT 9 systems using the command :- But when I tried this on a FEDORA 8 or FEDORA 10 system.....it says that "cannot display".......Can you please tell me why is fedora distro not allowing me to do so? I need to invoke the remote... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: nsharath
1 Replies

6. Red Hat

fedora grub help, moving to tri boot (XP, ubuntu, fedora soemething)

I will shortly be adding a fedora flavor to my devel box. I currently have XP (installed first on an ssd), ubuntu 10.04 (installed second on the first partition of a platter drive), and I want to add either Cent or SL on the second partition of the platter drive. I will probably also want to... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: LMHmedchem
0 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell scripting question (Fedora 16)

Hi, I need to write a script that runs a series of commands in multiple subfolders. The problem is that I dont want to change directory for every folder. So this is why I thought to use a master script to activate the smaller ones. So, is there a way to command other scripts to open in... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: Fuyudo
9 Replies

8. Linux

Fedora 14

Anyone know where I can obtain a reliable download of Fedora 14? Every one I have attempted to download charges a fee and a credit card. I have the fee but no credit card. Plus I don't want a prepaid card for just a one-time purchase. :wall: This is how I feel. LOL Any advice? Thank... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: aeo0868
4 Replies

9. Fedora

Bash shell problem on Fedora Linux

My shell environment is bash and desktop environment is LXDE. When I use the up and down button on the keyboard to view the command history on bash shell, many times part of the command from the history remains on the line. For example /home/milhan > ssh somedomain.org /home/milhan > then when I... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: milhan
5 Replies
OPENVT(1)							     Linux 1.x								 OPENVT(1)

NAME
openvt - start a program on a new virtual terminal (VT). SYNOPSIS
openvt [-c vtnumber] [-s] [-u] [-l] [-v] [--] command command_options DESCRIPTION
openvt will find the first available VT, and run on it the given command with the given command options, standard input, output and error are directed to that terminal. The current search path ($PATH) is used to find the requested command. If no command is specified then the environment variable $SHELL is used. OPTIONS -c vtnumber Use the given VT number and not the first available. Note you must have write access to the supplied VT for this to work. -e Directly execute the given command, without forking. This option is meant for use in /etc/inittab. -s Switch to the new VT when starting the command. The VT of the new command will be made the new current VT. -u Figure out the owner of the current VT, and run login as that user. Suitable to be called by init. Shouldn't be used with -c or -l. -l Make the command a login shell. A - is prepended to the name of the command to be executed. -v Be a bit more verbose. -w wait for command to complete. If -w and -s are used together then openvt will switch back to the controlling terminal when the com- mand completes. -- end of options to openvt. NOTE
If openvt is compiled with a POSIX (GNU) getopt() and you wish to set options to the command to be run, then you must supply the end of options -- flag before the command. EXAMPLES
openvt can be used to start a shell on the next free VT, by using the command: openvt bash To start the shell as a login shell, use: openvt -l bash To get a long listing you must supply the -- separator: openvt -- ls -l HISTORY
Earlier, openvt was called open. It was written by Jon Tombs <jon@gtex02.us.es or jon@robots.ox.ac.uk>. The -w idea is from "sam". SEE ALSO
chvt(1), doshell(8), login(1) 19 Jul 1996 V1.4 OPENVT(1)