Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: trap command
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers trap command Post 302512049 by Straitsfan on Friday 8th of April 2011 09:12:34 AM
Old 04-08-2011
Methyl:
I tried setting the key but it didn't work:

stty: illegal option -- INT
usage: stty [-a|-e|-g] [-f file] [options]
trap: usage: trap [-lp] [arg signal_spec ...]

I wish I had a unix manual of some sort --

I typed trap -l and got this (on my iMac at home -- still the same result when I ran the script) :

1) SIGHUP 2) SIGINT 3) SIGQUIT 4) SIGILL
5) SIGTRAP 6) SIGABRT 7) SIGEMT 8) SIGFPE
9) SIGKILL 10) SIGBUS 11) SIGSEGV 12) SIGSYS
13) SIGPIPE 14) SIGALRM 15) SIGTERM 16) SIGURG
17) SIGSTOP 18) SIGTSTP 19) SIGCONT 20) SIGCHLD
21) SIGTTIN 22) SIGTTOU 23) SIGIO 24) SIGXCPU
25) SIGXFSZ 26) SIGVTALRM 27) SIGPROF 28) SIGWINCH
29) SIGINFO 30) SIGUSR1 31) SIGUSR2

so I'm guessing that the interrupt signal is SIGINT.

Even with this, the same thing happens -- ^C is displayed on the screen and it goes right back to the script. If I type control z it says this :

[1]+ Stopped sleep 60

and goes right back to the script -- and the job number increases by one every time I type it. I can't stop the script from running. The only way I can is to quit terminal, at which point I get a message saying the following processes will be stopped -- bash, and however many sleep jobs it's running.

Last edited by Straitsfan; 04-08-2011 at 11:22 AM..

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Using TRAP command

I'm using the trap command to capture any signals received whilst my script is running. How's the best way of writing the signal and any other error messages to a file/error log' without having to type '2>$1' on the command line after the script name? Cheers (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: dbrundrett
3 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

trap command

i have the following script that displays the current time until the user presses CTR + c.... but it does not work properly.... Something is not right with the trap command... Help plz... :confused: # script to continuously display current time. # if script is terminated trap signal... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: onlyc
3 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

trap command

Dear All could you please explain me what does the trap command do and how I can write a program which can work as a trap command(in C Language). (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mobile01
1 Replies

4. Programming

trap command in Unix

Could anybody tell me what the trap command does and how it performs the action it does. I had read the trap manual page but it is too concise that nothing is clear about it. Please tell how it works. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mobile01
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Use of TRAP Command

Hi, I would like to know the use of TRAP command. I am very new to the UNIX environment. I have just started learning the basic. So please teach me in a very simple way to understand. Also i would like to know the use of following command: trap 'dialog --msgbox "Script Aborted1" 6 50 ;... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Deepakh
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Cntl+z Trap is not detecting ??? Help required to add a trap detection ???

Hi folks, I have tried to add some trap detection in the below script....this script is used to monitor database activities...in a rather awkward way :rolleyes:.... The idea behind adding trap is that....this script creates lots of temporary files in the running folder to store the count... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: frozensmilz
1 Replies

7. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

trap command

Hello experts! I need to know the use of trap command please In one of our program we have trap "rm -f temp1 ; exit 1" 1 2 15 0 and program always exit with 1 there is a rm -f temp1 as well at the end of the program as rm -f temp1 exit 0 when I test a probram with set... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: ramshree01
4 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

trap command

dear all; I can't under stand what does "trap" command do: for example see below: trap "echo; echo no interrupts >&2; sleep 3" 2 3 15 Plz , can any body explain the action of this command? BR (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ahmad.diab
3 Replies

9. Homework & Coursework Questions

VM trap may work differently than a pure install trap.

Use and complete the template provided. The entire template must be completed. If you don't, your post may be deleted! 1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data: That is the last reply I received from my instructor, and I'm looking for some alternatives. When using... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: newuser45
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Trap command not working

Hi Folks - For some reason, my trap command is not working. It's placed just prior to a normal exit: #:: ------------------------------------------------------------------------ #::-- Script Name: LCM_Backup.sh #:: #::-- Description: This script leverages Utility.sh to perform LCM... (16 Replies)
Discussion started by: SIMMS7400
16 Replies
BOSSKILL(8)						      System Manager's Manual						       BOSSKILL(8)

NAME
bosskill - send a signal to your boss, or terminate your boss SYNOPSIS
bosskill [ -signal ] <bossname> DESCRIPTION
bosskill sends the TERM (terminate, 15) signal to the boss with the specified bossname. If a signal name or number preceded by `-' is given as the first argument, that signal is sent instead of terminate. The killed boss must be in the system administrator's supervisory chain. The following is a list of all signals with names as in the include file <signal.h>: SIGHUP 1 hangup. Forces bossname to re-read his/her job description and figure out that he/she knows squat about sysadmin work or life, in general. SIGINT 2 interrupt. Prevents the bossname from interrupting the sysadmin for one hour. SIGQUIT 3 quit. Causes the boss to quit his/her job with no explanation. SIGILL 4 illegal instruction. Makes the boss believe the last instruction he/she gave was illegal, so he/she withdraws it. SIGTRAP 5 trace trap. Display the exact location of the boss. SIGABRT 6 abort. Makes the boss go home and try again tomorrow. SIGKILL 9 kill. Game over. SIGBUS 10 bus error. Boss's transportation fails on the way to work. SIGSEGV 11 segmentation violation. Boss realizes he/she is trying to do something for which he/she is not quailified and stops. SIGSYS 12 bad argument. Boss loses. SIGPIPE 13 smoke pipe. Boss samples some green leafy substance and mellows out. SIGALRM 14 alarm. Boss is startled and falls over. Best used when boss is walking next to his/her boss. SIGTERM 15 termination signal. Boss is fired. BUGS
Sending a SIGABRT to a boss that is already home will cause him/her to walk aimlessly in circles for two hours. HISTORY
Written by Eric L. Pederson <eric@bofh.org.uk>. 27 September 1995 BOSSKILL(8)