Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Solaris difference between zones and containers Post 302511973 by jlliagre on Friday 8th of April 2011 04:21:14 AM
Old 04-08-2011
The ability to control (reserve or limit) resource usage for processes, tasks and zones. Resources can be CPU, RAM, virtual memory, and various other kernel level tables and other stuff.

6 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Solaris

Clustering Solaris Zones/Containers

Hello everyone. I'm working on a fairly large project at my company and have been looking for some guidance. I just happened to stumble on this forum when looking for help with Solaris, so I'm hoping that you all won't mind me bothering you with my questions. :) Anyway, here goes. Is it... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: trouphaz
8 Replies

2. Solaris

solaris containers/zones reboot order

Hi, I'm running containers/zones on Solaris 10: SunOS be2900 5.10 Generic_118833-33 sun4u sparc SUNW,Netra-T12 zoneadm list -vc gives: ID NAME STATUS PATH 0 global running / 1 bvsmapp01 running /zones/bvsmapp01 2... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: jabberwocky
3 Replies

3. Solaris

need help on containers/zones

Hello, I have been using sparc workstations :SUNW,Ultra-5_10 Total 4 such machines. Users use it for mpich programming and all run solaris 8 but I always have hard time maintaining these machines. Authentication for these machines work from solaris 10 using NIS and there are nfs mounts on... (14 Replies)
Discussion started by: upengan78
14 Replies

4. Solaris

Solaris 8 Containers

While installing a Solaris 8 zone to a Solaris container I received this message. Anyone have this problem? Patchadd is terminating. Postprocess: Applying p2v module S31_fix_net Postprocess: Applying p2v module S32_fix_nfs Postprocess: Applying p2v module S33_fix_vfstab ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: cornsnap
1 Replies

5. Solaris

Difference between Zones and Virtual Box-Please clarify

I am learning Solaris Zones and I have the following doubts: 1.Sun has developed both Zones concept as well as Virtual Box concept. To work in Solaris if zones method is there, what is the need for virtual box? From my little knowledge, I feel virtual box and the whole root zone are same... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: saagar
4 Replies

6. Red Hat

Looking for equivalent of Solaris containers/zones in RHEL7 Linux

Hi, I come from a legacy Solaris background with lots of experience with Solaris Containers/zones that we use for network and process isolation from each other. Currently we have a RHEL7 Linux VM running on VMWare, but we would like to segment that VM with some form of containers and achieve... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ckmehta
1 Replies
SYSTEMD-CGTOP(1)						   systemd-cgtop						  SYSTEMD-CGTOP(1)

NAME
systemd-cgtop - Show top control groups by their resource usage SYNOPSIS
systemd-cgtop [OPTIONS...] DESCRIPTION
systemd-cgtop shows the top control groups of the local Linux control group hierarchy, ordered by their CPU, memory, or disk I/O load. The display is refreshed in regular intervals (by default every 1s), similar in style to top(1). If systemd-cgtop is not connected to a tty, only one iteration is performed and no columns headers are printed. This mode is suitable for scripting. Resource usage is only accounted for control groups in the relevant hierarchy, i.e. CPU usage is only accounted for control groups in the "cpuacct" hierarchy, memory usage only for those in "memory" and disk I/O usage for those in "blkio". If resource monitoring for these resources is required, it is recommended to add the CPUAccounting=1, MemoryAccounting=1 and BlockIOAccounting=1 settings in the unit files in question (See systemd.resource-control(5) for details). To emphasize this: unless "CPUAccounting=1", "MemoryAccounting=1" and "BlockIOAccounting=1" are enabled for the services in question no resource accounting will be available for system services and the data shown by systemd-cgtop will be incomplete. OPTIONS
The following options are understood: -h, --help Prints a short help text and exits. --version Prints a version string and exits. -p Order by control group path name. -t Order by number of tasks in control group (i.e. threads and processes). -c Order by CPU load. -m Order by memory usage. -i Order by disk I/O load. -b, --batch Run in "batch" mode: do not accept input and run until the iteration limit set with --iterations is exhausted or until killed. This mode could be useful for sending output from systemd-cgtop to other programs or to a file. -n, --iterations= Perform only this many iterations. -d, --delay= Specify refresh delay in seconds (or if one of "ms", "us", "min" is specified as unit in this time unit). --depth= Maximum control group tree traversal depth. Specifies how deep systemd-cgtop shall traverse the control group hierarchies. If 0 is specified, only the root group is monitored. For 1, only the first level of control groups is monitored, and so on. Defaults to 3. KEYS
systemd-cgtop is an interactive tool and may be controlled via user input using the following keys: h Shows a short help text. SPACE Immediately refresh output. q Terminate the program. p, t, c, m, i Sort the control groups by path, number of tasks, CPU load, memory usage, or IO load, respectively. % Toggle between showing CPU time as time or percentage. +, - Increase or decrease refresh delay, respectively. EXIT STATUS
On success, 0 is returned, a non-zero failure code otherwise. SEE ALSO
systemd(1), systemctl(1), systemd-cgls(1), systemd.resource-control(5), top(1) systemd 208 SYSTEMD-CGTOP(1)