Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Beginner Perl help Please
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Beginner Perl help Please Post 302511969 by Skrynesaver on Friday 8th of April 2011 04:14:02 AM
Old 04-08-2011
You don't nullify the name temp variable after generation.

However you should also make the code as re-usable as possible.

Here's a quick example.
Code:
#!/usr/bin/perl 

# Always do this as it will make life easier inb the long run
use strict;
use warnings;

print "Enter the number of names to generate: ";
my $count = <STDIN>;
print "Enter the number characters per name: ";
my $lim = <STDIN>;

# if you want to use a pre-set size call gen_names($count,8)
print_names(gen_names($count, $lim));

sub gen_names{
    my($count, $lim) = @_;
    my @names; # The array we redturn
    for (1..$count){
        my $name; # set name variable to empty
        for (1..$lim) {
            $name .= rand_char();
        }
        push @names, ucfirst($name);
    }
    return @names;
}

sub rand_char{
    my @charset = ('a'..'z');
    return $charset[int(rand(@charset))];
}

#Split the generation and presentation logic so you can reuse the code 
sub print_names{
    my @names = @_;
    for my $name (@names){
        print "$name\n";
    }
}

The names are now in title case and should you need to generate random characters or names again you have pre-written functions.

Last edited by Skrynesaver; 04-08-2011 at 07:27 AM.. Reason: neatened the code
This User Gave Thanks to Skrynesaver For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Please help. I am a beginner.

Alrigt, I need to write a shell script where it counts the number of folders and files and dispays "My home directory has 'x' files and 'y' directories." So, I was thinking of doing this. set x = `ls | wc` so, if I have 8 files and folders in my home directory, x is not 8. now, I was... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Lykathea Aflame
1 Replies

2. Programming

Beginner C

Anyone know where I can get started in C++ programming in unix? Any good free tutorials or websites to start at? I am okay in unix scripting but have never done c programming of any sort... What are the main advantages of using C++ ? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: frustrated1
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Beginner for Perl

Hi, I'm new in Perl. Can anyone recommend me any e-book which is good for beginners? Thanks. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: raul15791
3 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Beginner Help

hi guys, i have a DEl xps laptop cor 2 duo 2.2 i have vista installed on it i want to install a dual Boot UNIX on it.. can some one guide me ...cause i m tottaly new to UNIX i want to install unix on that laptop along with Vista.... thx any help would be deeply appreciated (sorry if i... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Farhan082
5 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Beginner Help

I need to write a script to test a nsort c program. I have written 8 .txt files with different cases. Also 8 .txt files with expected outcome. The shell I have written always "test pass" for the first case but always "fail" for the rest... Here is a portion of my code (as I still don't know how to... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: thibodeau
5 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Beginner - What Should I Do First?

Hi people.... I have just started to learn unix.I want to know which version of Unix to install plus how to install it.I need to practise and make myself aware of how unix works.My thread is from an educational point of view.Also please feel free to give your suggestions as I am... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: amit.kanade1983
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Beginner looking for help

Hello, I am trying to write a script that reads names from a file called input, removes names if they have the same letter next to each other and prints the others. e.g. Colin & John would be printed Garry & Lynn would be removed My thinking is that I read in each name and... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: colinireland
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Unix Beginner needs help

how do i implement a script that asks user to input a word. it should ask for input a word continuously until the word is longer than 5 characters then stop. this is what i have so far #!/bin/bash read -p "enter word" word1 while ; do echo "continue" done (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: marcusstar10
4 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Beginner Need Help on perl input

Hi, I am beginner perl input I just want to know if I want to make a program that let user input a function such as input " < value " List all files that are less than value The current directory is used. eg input " < 5" list all file that less than 5 in current directory until user input "quit" ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: guidely
4 Replies

10. Red Hat

Help me please i am beginner

i have windows 8 host on Dell Laptop vmware 9 redhat 7.2 iso downloaded through redhat official site after installation on vm it only boots into text dont show graphics Please guide:( (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: hananabbas
1 Replies
CHRONICLE-ENTRY-FILTER(1)				User Contributed Perl Documentation				 CHRONICLE-ENTRY-FILTER(1)

NAME
chronicle-entry-filter - Convert blog files to HTML, if required. SYNOPSIS
Help Options --help Show a brief help overview. --version Show the version of this script. Options --format The global format of all entries. --filename The name of the single file to process. Filters --pre-filter A filter to run before convertion to HTML. --post-filter A filter to run after HTML conversion. ABOUT
This script is designed to receive a filename and a global formatting type upon the command line. The formatting type specifies how the blog entry file will be processed: 1. If the format is "textile" the file will be converted from textile to HTML. 2. If the format is "markdown" the file will be converted from markdown to HTML. The related format "multimarkdown" is also recognised. 3. If the format is "html" no changes will be made. Once the conversion has been applied the code will also be scanned for <code> tags to expand via the Text::VimColour module, if it is installed, which allows the pretty-printing of source code. To enable the syntax highlighting of code fragments you should format your code samples as follows: Subject: Some highlighted code. Date: 25th December 2009 Tags: chronicle, perl, blah <p>Here is some code which will look pretty ..</p> <code lang="perl"> #!/usr/bin/perl -w ... .. </code> Notice the use of lang="perl", which provides a hint as to the type of syntax highlighting to apply. Additionally you may make use of the pre-filter and post-filter pseudo-headers which allow you to transform the entry in further creative fashions. For example you might wish the blog to be upper-case only for some reason, and this could be achieved via: Subject: I DONT LIKE LOWER CASE Tags: meta, random, silly Date: 25th December 2009 Pre-Filter: perl -pi -e "s/__USER__/`whoami`/g" Post-filter: tr [a-z] [A-Z] <p>This post, written by __USER__ will have no lower-case values.</p> <p>Notice how my username was inserted too?</p> You may chain arbitrarily complex filters together via the filters. Each filter should read the entry on STDIN and return the updated content to STDOUT. (If you wish to apply a global filter simply pass that as an argument to chronicle, or in your chroniclerc file.) AUTHOR
Steve -- http://www.steve.org.uk/ LICENSE
Copyright (c) 2009-2010 by Steve Kemp. All rights reserved. This module is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it under the same terms as Perl itself. The LICENSE file contains the full text of the license. perl v5.12.3 2011-05-03 CHRONICLE-ENTRY-FILTER(1)