Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Cron job initiating ssh AND sudo (from user, not root) Post 302511856 by KenJackson on Thursday 7th of April 2011 06:59:14 PM
Old 04-07-2011
A different kind of solution might be to use a special group. That is,

- make a new group with groupadd
- set all the files that must be accessed to that group with chgrp
- add the user to that supplementary group with usermod -a -G
- set the group permissions on all those files as required with chmod.

Then don't use any privilege escalation at all.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Cron Sends mail to root on completion of job.

All I am running a few scripts through a cron job. This is for checking some key services that are running on by box. The problem is, everytime the cron runs, it sends a mail to the root account. The root account mails need to cleared every now and then. Is there some way I can stop these... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: skotapal
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Sudo command not working with cron job.

Hello, I have written a script that has a sudo command to change file permissions within it. When I run the script manually, the sudo command inside of it works fine. When the script is run through crontab I get the error "cron: not found". It the same user profile that I am using... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: WhotheWhat
6 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Adding a new root cron job

Hi there, I have over 2000 systems (mainly Solaris) and I want to write a script that inserts a new root cronjob on each of those servers. obviously just adding a line to /var/spool/cron/crontabs/root looks like the easiest way, but i really dont want to have to send a HUP to crond on all boxes ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: rethink
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Does running a cron job of a user require the user to be logged in?

Suppose user 'asdf' is not logged into server 'bbbb', but the server is up. User 'asdf' has cron job. Will it be executed? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: thulasidharan2k
1 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

SSH Cron Job Help

Hi there, I have an ESXi server and I need to shut it down every night (say at 11 for simplicity). To shut down the ESXi box remotely, I can send an SSH command "poweroff". Basically my question is, is there any way that I can save the script on my DD-WRT router so that it will login to the... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: georgeharris
3 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Sudo to delegate permission from non-root user to another non-root user

I've been through many threads before i decide to create a separate thread. I can't really find the solution to my (simple) problem. Here's what I'm trying to achieve: As "canar" user I want to run a command, let's say "/opt/ocaml/bin/ocaml" as "duck" user. The only to achieve this is to... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: canar
1 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Create cron job without root

Hi there, I need to create a crone job to backup certain files on my disk without root permissions. Also if I will be able to edit cronetab then I need to know how to edit it with any editor other than vim :mad: (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: aelhosiny
5 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

CRON JOB not running - for tape backup from root user

I am trying a cron on root user to backup to tape using TAR command here is the cron entry 11 08 * * 6 /erdhot1cron 2>&1 >> /test3/scripts/dba/erdhot1cron.log here is script inside - edhot1cron #!/bin/bash vsysdt=`date +%d%m%y` date tar -cvf /dev/st0... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: vijaymec50
4 Replies

9. Red Hat

Sudo to user other than root but do not allow sudo to root

I have a set of RHEL 5 boxes running our ERP software on Oracle databases. I need to allow my DBA's to su to oracle and one other account (banner) without knowing the oracle or banner password. But I need to prevent them from su'ing to any other user especially root. I only want them to be able to... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: westmoreland
1 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Appending crontab using ssh and sudo without root credentials

Hi, i have two servers say server A and server B. i have a sudo user say user1 with full privilges on server A and B. i am trying to append the crontab entry of root from server A of server B with the following command. But its appending on A. i need to append it on server B. please find the... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: venkitesh
4 Replies
CHGRP(1)						    BSD General Commands Manual 						  CHGRP(1)

NAME
chgrp -- change group SYNOPSIS
chgrp [-fhvx] [-R [-H | -L | -P]] group file ... DESCRIPTION
The chgrp utility sets the group ID of the file named by each file operand to the group ID specified by the group operand. The following options are available: -H If the -R option is specified, symbolic links on the command line are followed. (Symbolic links encountered in the tree traversal are not followed.) -L If the -R option is specified, all symbolic links are followed. -P If the -R option is specified, no symbolic links are followed. This is the default. -R Change the group ID for the file hierarchies rooted in the files instead of just the files themselves. -f The force option ignores errors, except for usage errors and does not query about strange modes (unless the user does not have proper permissions). -h If the file is a symbolic link, the group ID of the link itself is changed rather than the file that is pointed to. -v Cause chgrp to be verbose, showing files as the group is modified. If the -v flag is specified more than once, chgrp will print the filename, followed by the old and new numeric group ID. -x File system mount points are not traversed. The -H, -L and -P options are ignored unless the -R option is specified. In addition, these options override each other and the command's actions are determined by the last one specified. The group operand can be either a group name from the group database, or a numeric group ID. If a group name is also a numeric group ID, the operand is used as a group name. The user invoking chgrp must belong to the specified group and be the owner of the file, or be the super-user. FILES
/etc/group group ID file EXIT STATUS
The chgrp utility exits 0 on success, and >0 if an error occurs. COMPATIBILITY
In previous versions of this system, symbolic links did not have groups. The -v and -x options are non-standard and their use in scripts is not recommended. SEE ALSO
chown(2), fts(3), group(5), passwd(5), symlink(7), chown(8) STANDARDS
The chgrp utility is expected to be IEEE Std 1003.2 (``POSIX.2'') compatible. BSD
February 21, 2010 BSD