Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers How to use 'nohup' and 'at' commands collectively? Post 302511752 by swap21783 on Thursday 7th of April 2011 12:57:37 PM
Old 04-07-2011
How to use 'nohup' and 'at' commands collectively?

I have a unix script named 'test1' and it can be run using parameters say a, b and c. i.e. the command would be
Code:
test1 -a -b -c

this script gives the output in the log file as
Code:
script started
start time: 10.22 pm 7 april
end time: 10.30 pm 7 april
script finished

Now, i want to run this batch at some later time. say i want to run it at 2:00 am in the night when no one is there in the office. so i am giveing the command as
Code:
nohup at -f `test1 -a -b -c` 2 am 08april

I fire this command and close the session. The next day when i come to the office I see that the log file is showing me below output
Code:
script started
start time: 10.22pm 7 april

Thus the script starts as soon as fired and it stops running as soon as i close the session.

please help me in resolving this. please also let me know if my issue is not clear.

regards,
Swapnil

Last edited by Scott; 04-08-2011 at 03:04 PM.. Reason: Please use code tags for code, data files, terminal output, etc.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

"nohup" and "&" commands

Why would anyone ever type in a command like this: nohup command & nohup lets you logout of your telnet session so why add "&" to run it in the background? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: xadamz23
1 Replies

2. Programming

code that reads commands from the standard i/p and executes the commands

Hello all, i've written a small piece of code that will read commands from standard input and executes the commands. Its working fine and is execting the commands well. Accepting arguments too. e.g #mkdir <name of the directory> The problem is that its not letting me change the directory i.e... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Phrozen Smoke
4 Replies

3. Filesystems, Disks and Memory

killing nohup commands delete files?

Hello, I just want to ask if killing a specific procees might delete files being read of that process? Here is the scenario: I execute nohup find . -type f |xargs ls -lrt > nohup1.out & I noticed that it is taking so much space, I check that there are files so huge .nfs* and keep on... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: james_falco
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Can BASH execute commands on a remote server when the commands are embedded in shell

I want to log into a remote server transfer over a new config and then backup the existing config, replace with the new config. I am not sure if I can do this with BASH scripting. I have set up password less login by adding my public key to authorized_keys file, it works. I am a little... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: bash_in_my_head
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

using mutiple "nohup" to execute multiple commands.

I need to run multiple commands on remote server using the nohup... I have tried 2 options 1) rsh <SERVER_NAME> -n "nohup perl $SCRIPTS_DIR/abc.pl ; $SCRIPTS_DIR/xyz.ksh & " & 2) rsh <SERVER_NAME> -n "nohup perl $SCRIPTS_DIR/abc.pl & nohup $SCRIPTS_DIR/xyz.ksh & " & I need to know if... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: aster007
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

using nohup with set of commands

hi I want to use nohup command with set of commands .. my goofy sample : nohup while true do ; date; done and its not working . any idea ? cheers (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: kvok
1 Replies

7. AIX

HACMP: difference between 'cl' commands and 'cli' commands

Hi all, I'm new in this forum. I'm looking for the difference between the HACMP commands with the prefix "cl" and "cli". The first type are under /usr/es/sbin/cluster/sbin directory and the second are under /usr/es/sbin/cluster/cspoc directory. I know that the first are called HACMP for AIX... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: peppix
0 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Nohup

Hi Every one , i wrote a script for nohpu ,which checks the service by using the port number and starts if it doesnt hear the port. It works good untill i colse the session. how to make it work even after closing the session .And aslo how to deamoize this script #!/bin/bash netstat -ptlen |... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: vikatakavi
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Saving nohup output to a file other than nohup.out

Shell : bash OS : Oracle Linux 6.4 I want to save the ouput of a nohup command to file other than nohup.out . Below are my 3 attempts. For both Attempt1 and Attempt2 , the redirection logs the output correctly to the output file. But I get the error "ignoring input and redirecting stderr to... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: kraljic
7 Replies

10. UNIX and Linux Applications

Execute Oracle pl/sql commands in a scrit using nohup

Good afternoon: I need your help please, Im new at Unix nd specially Unix applicationas like oracle and Ive got this problem: I was asked to execute the next script using nohup in order to not hang up the session because it was supposed to connect to the database and then insert about 2... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: alexcol
3 Replies
SCRIPT(1)							   User Commands							 SCRIPT(1)

NAME
script - make typescript of terminal session SYNOPSIS
script [options] [file] DESCRIPTION
script makes a typescript of everything displayed on your terminal. It is useful for students who need a hardcopy record of an interactive session as proof of an assignment, as the typescript file can be printed out later with lpr(1). If the argument file is given, script saves the dialogue in this file. If no filename is given, the dialogue is saved in the file type- script. OPTIONS
-a, --append Append the output to file or to typescript, retaining the prior contents. -c, --command command Run the command rather than an interactive shell. This makes it easy for a script to capture the output of a program that behaves differently when its stdout is not a tty. -e, --return Return the exit code of the child process. Uses the same format as bash termination on signal termination exit code is 128+n. -f, --flush Flush output after each write. This is nice for telecooperation: one person does `mkfifo foo; script -f foo', and another can supervise real-time what is being done using `cat foo'. --force Allow the default output destination, i.e. the typescript file, to be a hard or symbolic link. The command will follow a symbolic link. -q, --quiet Be quiet (do not write start and done messages to standard output). -t[file], --timing[=file] Output timing data to standard error, or to file when given. This data contains two fields, separated by a space. The first field indicates how much time elapsed since the previous output. The second field indicates how many characters were output this time. This information can be used to replay typescripts with realistic typing and output delays. -V, --version Display version information and exit. -h, --help Display help text and exit. NOTES
The script ends when the forked shell exits (a control-D for the Bourne shell (sh(1)), and exit, logout or control-d (if ignoreeof is not set) for the C-shell, csh(1)). Certain interactive commands, such as vi(1), create garbage in the typescript file. script works best with commands that do not manipulate the screen, the results are meant to emulate a hardcopy terminal. It is not recommended to run script in non-interactive shells. The inner shell of script is always interactive, and this could lead to unexpected results. If you use script in the shell initialization file, you have to avoid entering an infinite loop. You can use for example the .profile file, which is read by login shells only: if test -t 0 ; then script exit fi You should also avoid use of script in command pipes, as script can read more input than you would expect. ENVIRONMENT
The following environment variable is utilized by script: SHELL If the variable SHELL exists, the shell forked by script will be that shell. If SHELL is not set, the Bourne shell is assumed. (Most shells set this variable automatically). SEE ALSO
csh(1) (for the history mechanism), scriptreplay(1) HISTORY
The script command appeared in 3.0BSD. BUGS
script places everything in the log file, including linefeeds and backspaces. This is not what the naive user expects. script is primarily designed for interactive terminal sessions. When stdin is not a terminal (for example: echo foo | script), then the session can hang, because the interactive shell within the script session misses EOF and script has no clue when to close the session. See the NOTES section for more information. AVAILABILITY
The script command is part of the util-linux package and is available from Linux Kernel Archive <https://www.kernel.org/pub/linux/utils /util-linux/>. util-linux June 2014 SCRIPT(1)