Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Help with counting string elements Post 302511584 by bartus11 on Thursday 7th of April 2011 06:06:09 AM
Old 04-07-2011
Try:
Code:
perl -aF// -lne 'if ($.==1){s/^>//;$n=$_}else{for $i (@F){$h{$i}++;$l++}}END{for $i (keys %h){print "$i=$h{$i}"}print "Length of $n=$l"}' file

This User Gave Thanks to bartus11 For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Counting patterns in a shell string

Hello, I am writing a shell script and I need to find a way to count the number of whitespaces in a string. Eg: NAME="Bob Hope" I am looking for a way to count the number of whitespaces in this string. So a command that would take this string and return 1. Or take "First Middle Last"... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: kevin80
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Search array elements as file for a matching string

I would like to find a list of files in a directory less than 2 days old and put them into an array variable. And then search for each file in the array for a matching string say "Return-code= 0". If it matches, then display the array element with a message as "OK". Your help will be greatly... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mkbaral
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Counting string of a variable

Hi, There is a variable f_name, it store some file names. Value of f_name=a.sql b.sql c.sql....... like this. want to count how many file name the var f_name stores. Without using loop is there any command to count that. (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Dip
5 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Array with String Elements

How can I get my array to understand the double-quotes I'm passing into it are to separate text strings and not part of an element? here's what I'm working with... db2 -v connect to foo db2 -x "select '\"' || stats_command || '\",' from db2law1.parallel_runstats where tabname = 'BAZ'" set... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: djschmitt
4 Replies

5. Fedora

Help with controlling string elements

Hi All, I have a general difficulty in understanding how to control single elements within a string. An example, XYZ1234 ABCD5678 My expected output is : ABCD1234 XYZ5678 (swapping subset of string elements of choice) XYZ37 ACBD1214 (making calculations... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: pawannoel
6 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Help with editing string elements

Hi All I have a question. I would like to edit some string characters by replacing with characters of choice located in another file. For example in sample file>S5_SK1.chr01 NNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNCAGCATGCAATAAGGTGACATAGATATACCCACACACCACACCCTAACACTAACCCTAATCTAACCCTGGCCAACCTGTTT... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: pawannoel
9 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

counting occurrence of characters in a string

Hello, I have a string like this 0:1:2:0:2:2:4:0:0:0:-200:500...... what i want is to break down how many different characters are there and their count. For example for above string it should display 0 - 5 times 1 - 1 times 2 - 3 times 4 - 1 times . . . I am stuck in writing... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: exit86
8 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Counting Instances of a String with AWK

I have a list of URLs and I want to be able to count the number of instances of addresses ending in a certain TLD and output and sort it like so. 5 bdcc.com 48 zrtzr.com 49 rvo.com Input is as so ync.org sduzj.edu sduzj.edu sduzj.edu sduzj.edu sduzj.edu sduzj.edu sduzj.edu... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Pjstaab
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Counting a string between 2 strings...

I have been working on this for a little while and have been unable to come to a solution. Any help would be appreciated. I am working on a UNIX workstation and have a 30-40 meg text file that I am working with. In my real file there is hundreds of Jobs. Example of input file; misc logging data... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ny_evan
1 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Counting elements in each record

Hello, I have a file such as below: 0 0 . . 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 0 0 0 1 0 1I want to count the number of 0 and 1 in each line (. represents no data) and print them into two columns, that is:... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Homa
3 Replies
bup-margin(1)						      General Commands Manual						     bup-margin(1)

NAME
bup-margin - figure out your deduplication safety margin SYNOPSIS
bup margin [options...] DESCRIPTION
bup margin iterates through all objects in your bup repository, calculating the largest number of prefix bits shared between any two entries. This number, n, identifies the longest subset of SHA-1 you could use and still encounter a collision between your object ids. For example, one system that was tested had a collection of 11 million objects (70 GB), and bup margin returned 45. That means a 46-bit hash would be sufficient to avoid all collisions among that set of objects; each object in that repository could be uniquely identified by its first 46 bits. The number of bits needed seems to increase by about 1 or 2 for every doubling of the number of objects. Since SHA-1 hashes have 160 bits, that leaves 115 bits of margin. Of course, because SHA-1 hashes are essentially random, it's theoretically possible to use many more bits with far fewer objects. If you're paranoid about the possibility of SHA-1 collisions, you can monitor your repository by running bup margin occasionally to see if you're getting dangerously close to 160 bits. OPTIONS
--predict Guess the offset into each index file where a particular object will appear, and report the maximum deviation of the correct answer from the guess. This is potentially useful for tuning an interpolation search algorithm. --ignore-midx don't use .midx files, use only .idx files. This is only really useful when used with --predict. EXAMPLE
$ bup margin Reading indexes: 100.00% (1612581/1612581), done. 40 40 matching prefix bits 1.94 bits per doubling 120 bits (61.86 doublings) remaining 4.19338e+18 times larger is possible Everyone on earth could have 625878182 data sets like yours, all in one repository, and we would expect 1 object collision. $ bup margin --predict PackIdxList: using 1 index. Reading indexes: 100.00% (1612581/1612581), done. 915 of 1612581 (0.057%) SEE ALSO
bup-midx(1), bup-save(1) BUP
Part of the bup(1) suite. AUTHORS
Avery Pennarun <apenwarr@gmail.com>. Bup unknown- bup-margin(1)