Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users Need help with configuring large packet size on Solaris 7 / e6500 Post 302511397 by sharique on Wednesday 6th of April 2011 05:37:43 PM
Old 04-06-2011
Question Need help with configuring large packet size on Solaris 7 / e6500

We're running Solaris 7 on FDDI n/w on an E6500 host and wish to use MTU (packet size) > 1500, more like 3072 bytes to begin with and possibly up to 4096 bytes.

Linux has /etc/network/interfaces. Does ANYONE remember the equivalent in Unix? When I do ifconfig eth0 mtu 4000, I get the error SIOCSIFMTU: Invalid argument

Want to know what is the file (or files) to modify and what are the values to add or modify.

Thanks in advance

Moderator's Comments:
Mod Comment Double post, continued here, thread closed

Last edited by pludi; 04-06-2011 at 08:35 PM..

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

prevent file size is too large

We have EDP members will do some testing job in my system , but sometimes these process will generate some error to the system log or any file ( usually the members don't know the log is reached to this level ) , then make the system crashed , could suggest the way how can to prevent this problem ?... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ust
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Editing a large size file

I would like to edit a doc which is large file size. I can't use "vi" command due to out of memory. $ vi large.dat ex: 0602-101 Out of memory saving lines for undo. Please help. Thanks. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Rock
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

0821-077 ping: illegal packet size.

Hi, When i try this command ping ukblx151.ukhx.astrazeneca.net -n 3 | grep icmp it gives following error :mad:: 0821-077 ping: illegal packet size. But when i give command ping ukblx151.ukhx.astrazeneca.net It returns correct output.:D Could you please help? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: vishal_ranjan
2 Replies

4. HP-UX

how to get network packet size

how to get network packet size I would like get network output rate(kb/sec) I type command "netstat -i" Ipkts Ierrs Opkts Oerrs 653387 0 678202 0 but i didn't know what is it packet size , how could i get it? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: alert0919
1 Replies

5. Solaris

Need help with configuring large packet size on Solaris 7 / e6500

Greetings, I'm stuck in a time warp using ancient machines from the prehistoric era that should be rightfully displayed in the Smithsonian. We're running Solaris 7 on FDDI n/w on an E6500 host and wish to use MTU (packet size) > 1500, more like 3072 bytes to begin with and possibly up to 4096... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: sharique
9 Replies

6. IP Networking

TCP Packet size

Hi! I'm writing an application (using BSD sockets on a Linux host) which communicates over TCP/IP with an embedded device. This embedded device has an old and real slow integrated circuit (Epson S1S6000) which handles all of the TCP/IP communication for it. Problem is, this circuit (S1S6000)... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: olle
7 Replies

7. Solaris

Solaris 2.6 looking for ARP/RARP packet

Hi Everybody :) This is my first post concerning Solaris 2.6 trying to boot on a Tadpole SparcBook 3. I bought the laptop from somebody who configured it for his network. For the moment I want it as a non-networked standalone machine, or at least have that option. On trying to boot I get an... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: JuBiLeE_50_05
0 Replies

8. Red Hat

Empty directory, large size and performance

Hi, I've some directory that I used as working directory for a program. At the end of the procedure, the content is deleted. This directory, when I do a ls -l, appears to still take up some space. After a little research, I've seen on a another board of this forum that it's not really taking... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: bdx
5 Replies

9. AIX

Packet loss coming with big packet size ping

(5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Vishal_dba
5 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Large Variable content size caveats?

Hi, I wrote a shell script, which let me manage dns records through an api. The raw core-command looks like about this: output="$(curl -X GET https://mgt.myserver.de:8081/api/v1/servers/localhost/zones)"The output contains a list of all zones with all records and is about 800 Kilobytes... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: stomp
9 Replies
spray(1M)						  System Administration Commands						 spray(1M)

NAME
spray - spray packets SYNOPSIS
/usr/sbin/spray [-c count] [-d delay] [-l length] [-t nettype] host DESCRIPTION
spray sends a one-way stream of packets to host using RPC, and reports how many were received, as well as the transfer rate. The host argu- ment can be either a name or an Internet address. spray is not useful as a networking benchmark, as it uses unreliable connectionless transports, UDP for example. spray can report a large number of packets dropped when the drops were caused by spray sending packets faster than they can be buffered locally, that is, before the packets get to the network medium. OPTIONS
-c count Specify how many packets to send. The default value of count is the number of packets required to make the total stream size 100000 bytes. -d delay Specify how many microseconds to pause between sending each packet. The default is 0. -l length The length parameter is the numbers of bytes in the Ethernet packet that holds the RPC call message. Since the data is encoded using XDR, and XDR only deals with 32 bit quantities, not all values of length are possible, and spray rounds up to the nearest possible value. When length is greater than 1514, then the RPC call can no longer be encapsulated in one Ethernet packet, so the length field no longer has a simple correspondence to Ethernet packet size. The default value of length is 86 bytes, the size of the RPC and UDP headers. -t nettype Specify class of transports. Defaults to netpath. See rpc(3NSL) for a description of supported classes. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWrcmdc | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
rpc(3NSL), attributes(5) SunOS 5.11 6 Nov 2000 spray(1M)