Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: awk reg expression
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting awk reg expression Post 302511377 by Chubler_XL on Wednesday 6th of April 2011 05:26:28 PM
Old 04-06-2011
Does your awk have the --posix argument?

---------- Post updated at 07:26 AM ---------- Previous update was at 07:04 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by gio001
I have this working with grep
Code:
grep 'PV1\|\([^|]*\|\)\{16\}\|X' infile > outfile

Dosn't work properly for me:
Code:
$ grep 'PV1\|\([^|]*\|\)\{16\}\|X' infile
PV1-This shouldn't Match!
PV1|two|three|four|5|6|7|8|9|10|11|12|13|14|15|16|17|X|rest|of|string

Something like this seems right for grep:
Code:
grep -E 'PV1\|([^|]*\|){16}X\|' infile

Awk turns out to be pretty similar, note some awks (GNU) require --posix others don't
Code:
 awk --posix '/PV1\|([^|]*\|){16}X\|/ { print $0 }' infile

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Awk - Using a Shell Variable in the Reg Expression

Hi all, I have a shell variable $test1 that holds a value derived from some other processing. What I need to do is use that $test1 as the input to a awk regular expression: nawk -F"," -v tester=$test1 ' /tester/{ print $0 } ' $inputFile So what I have is tester... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: not4google
6 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Help with Reg. Expression

I need help with this: Can any one tell me what does these below mean: 1. "\(.\).*") != '/' 2. sed 's+^\./++;s+/.*++' 3. sed "s+${f}/+ + Thanks in advance (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: moe2266
7 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

perl reg expression

I have regular expression like this ( replace + with \+) ($mod_server) = ($server =~ /\+/\\+/g); the above is failing with error . what's wrong with it . Thanks (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: talashil
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Reg expression For

HI system.sysUpTime.0 : Timeticks: (1519411311) 175 days, 20:35:13.11 From the above output i need only 175days in a perl script.. Please Help (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Harikrishna
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Python (startswith) reg expression

Hello together, Yesterday I have recieved the script in the forum which works well. This script should insert in the previous line, the line that starts with ";". I'd like this process to recur after any arbitrary sign unless there's a number as a sign at the beginning of a line. Actual... (14 Replies)
Discussion started by: research3
14 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Reg expression

Please let me understand this reg expression (\s+')(.*)('\s+)(.)(.*)(\/.*)/) i have doubt in the below 2.I'm not understanding why back-tick used? (\s+') and ('\s+) (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: dll_fpga
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

reg expression in perl

./GEN_SCR.pl -f ${REP_PATH}/FUNCTIONAL/wide1c_1.0V/max/qor.rpt -o ${REP_PATH}/FUNCTIONAL/GEN2_wide1c_1.0V_max.csv where GEN_SCR.pl is as below...i need to check whether max or min is coming in the argument to the script ...how to do this? ${REP_PATH}/FUNCTIONAL/wide1c_1.0V/max/qor.rpt ... (0 Replies)
0 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

reg expression in perl

how to uniquely match each of the words seperated by / in perl ${REP_PATH}/FUNCTIONAL/wide1c_1.0V/max/qor.rpt https://www.unix.com/images/misc/progress.gif (5 Replies)
5 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Confusion with Reg expression

I want to make a REG Expression to validate the directory. my dirsample is below: /abc/abc/abc abc/abc/abc abc/abc/abc/ /abc/a bc/abc /a bc/abc/abc /abc/abc/a bc / abc/abc/abc /abc/ abc/abc /abc/.abc /.abc/abc / // /abc /.abc And my code is below: grep -E '^\/(+\/?)+$' dirsample (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: franksunnn
4 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

REG Expression

Need your help in creating regular expression for particular set. let say I have given two dates 20130623 to 20140625. I need to create regular for the dates which fall in between above two dates. (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: gvkumar25
4 Replies
ZGREP(1)						      General Commands Manual							  ZGREP(1)

NAME
zgrep - search possibly compressed files for a regular expression SYNOPSIS
zgrep [ grep_options ] [ -e ] pattern filename... DESCRIPTION
Zgrep invokes grep on compressed or gzipped files. These grep options will cause zgrep to terminate with an error code: (-[drRzZ]|--di*|--exc*|--inc*|--rec*|--nu*). All other options specified are passed directly to grep. If no file is specified, then the standard input is decompressed if necessary and fed to grep. Otherwise the given files are uncompressed if necessary and fed to grep. If the GREP environment variable is set, zgrep uses it as the grep program to be invoked. EXIT CODE
2 - An option that is not supported was specified. AUTHOR
Charles Levert (charles@comm.polymtl.ca) SEE ALSO
grep(1), gzexe(1), gzip(1), zdiff(1), zforce(1), zmore(1), znew(1) ZGREP(1)