Sponsored Content
Homework and Emergencies Emergency UNIX and Linux Support Is this how LVM snapshots work? Post 302511372 by pludi on Wednesday 6th of April 2011 04:58:03 PM
Old 04-06-2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by pludi
The size you're setting for the snapshot is the maximum amount of data the snapshot area can hold, meaning the maximum amount of data that may change before the snapshop becomes stale.

8 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Solaris

snapshots syntax

Hi guys, i am intrested to learn about snapshots. I was a bit confused about snapshot i know using fssnap -F ufs -o bs (i dont understand the exact what to give the path after this ) if any one know the proper syntax..pls help me. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: kurva
2 Replies

2. Solaris

snapshots backup

Hi guys, I have a dout how to take snapshots backup, i want to take /expote/home(it is of 5.3GB) c0t0d0s7 to /backup dir( i created 6.0GB of slice) in different drive c0t1d0s0. i kow the sintax but i feel dificulty to take backup.i use this:- fssnap -F ufs -o bs=/export/home/ /backup/ but... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: kurva
4 Replies

3. HP-UX

How to reduce LVM to create another LVM

Hi, I'm new to HP-UX. I have LVM on /var with 92Gig. I would like to reduce it to create another LVM for Oracle client with 800 meg or so. How to do it. I'm running 11.iv3 Thanks (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: lamoul
4 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

mplayer snapshots

I have a script with: mplayer tv:// -tv driver=v4l2:device=/dev/video0:width=320:height=240:norm=NTSC:fps=30:noaudio:input=0 -vf screenshot -aspect 4:3 -vo xv to take .png screenshots. It now works but am not getting what the webcam sees displayed in the frame -- just snow noise. Does someone... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: slak0
1 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to convert non LVM root partition to LVM?

Hi Guys, I m using redhat 6, I have installed root partition as non-LVM . Is there any way i can convert it to LVM? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: pinga123
1 Replies

6. Solaris

Permissions to run ZFS Snapshots

Hi, I work as an Oracle Technical consultant (mainly DBA related), and I have used ZFS snapshots on previous projects which has helped me a great deal. I often take snapshots before doing some dev work, and then I can roll it back if I want to start again, or if it goes pear shaped!! I have... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: AndyG
4 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to create LVM snapshots?

Please suggest me how do I create LVM snapshots in linux. Best regards, Vishal (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: admin_db
5 Replies

8. Ubuntu

I need help setting up LVM snapshots on Ubuntu 16.04

I am running Ubuntu 16.04 on a HP laptop with a core I3 processor. I am trying to run mariaDB and do hot backups to disk. In order to do that I wanted to create an LVM snapshot and backup the snapshot for a point in time backup, possibly using tar. I included a snapshot of the gparted app showing... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: gandolf989
1 Replies
MKSNAP_FFS(8)						    BSD System Manager's Manual 					     MKSNAP_FFS(8)

NAME
mksnap_ffs -- take a file system snapshot SYNOPSIS
mksnap_ffs snapshot_name DESCRIPTION
The mksnap_ffs utility creates a snapshot named snapshot_name. The group ownership of the file is set to ``operator''; the owner of the file remains ``root''. The mode of the snapshot is set to be read- able by the owner or members of the ``operator'' group. EXAMPLES
Create a snapshot of /usr/home file system and mount the snapshot elsewhere: mksnap_ffs /usr/home/snapshot mdconfig -a -t vnode -o readonly -f /usr/home/snapshot mount -o ro /dev/md0 /mnt/ SEE ALSO
chmod(2), chown(8), mdconfig(8), mount(8) HISTORY
The mksnap_ffs utility first appeared in FreeBSD 5.0. CAVEATS
The disk full situation is not handled gracefully and may lead to a system panic when no free blocks are found. Every filesystem can have only up to 20 active snapshots. When this limit is reached, attempting to create more snapshots fails with ENOSPC, and mksnap_ffs reports that it is ``out of space''. BSD
February 14, 2011 BSD