Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: what is BOS
Operating Systems AIX what is BOS Post 302511139 by joyhu on Wednesday 6th of April 2011 03:12:24 AM
Old 04-06-2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlliagre
Probably not as this is the AIX forum. In IBM terminology, BOS is the Base Operating System, i.e. the core OS excluding third party software.
Thanks

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. AIX

Can I download bos.adt.libm somewhere

I am compiling something on AIX 5.1 on RS6000. It turn out to need this fileset installed. I don't have any cd media in hand for the moment. Can I get it from the web? Thanks for any reply. BG (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: matrix01
4 Replies

2. AIX

NIM Server - bos.rte5.3.*

Trying to build a server off the NIM server and its complaining that my bos.rte.5.3.0.0 is a missing prerequisite. I have bos.rte.5.3.0.30 which is for AIX 5.3.3, my question is where can I find the bos.rte.5.3.0.0 ? Ive looked on my base AIX 5.3 software and cant find it. Any assistance... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: maurice-pacific
0 Replies

3. AIX

Help finding a BOS

I'm trying to install TL 5200-08 on an AIX 5.2 box and it is failing due to several prereqs. One is devices.pci.77101223.diag 5.2.0.85, but the prereq for this file set is devices.pci.77101223.diag 5.2.0.0 and I can not locate that file set. I can locate devices.pci.77101223.diag 5.2.0.1, but... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: zuessh
1 Replies

4. AIX

bos.adt.libm.5.1.0.0 needed

Could anyone help me to get bos.adt.libm.5.1.0.0 package for AIX system? Thanks a lot. progua gmai.com (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: progua
3 Replies

5. AIX

About bos.rte v=4,r<2

I have check the fileset with in AIX 4.2 and I have found this error after I type in lppchk -v. Can anyone help me out with this problem ? I am new here. :) (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: fla22
1 Replies

6. AIX

calculate BOS file system

Hi All, How do you calculate the BOS filesystem on rootvg(/, /usr, /var, and /opt) and the BLV? So that I could calculate how much space I need on doing multibos. Any idea will be appreciated, thanks. (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: itik
0 Replies

7. AIX

bos.rte missing or broken

Dear Members, Recently we migrate from AIX 5.2 to AIX 5.3, before migration system state was stable but after migration when I check system state with lppchk command it shows bos.rte v=5, r<3 file sets are missing but when I check bos.rte by lslpp command it is present and in committed... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: m_raheelahmed
11 Replies

8. AIX

Need AIX 5.3 bos.adt.libm

We have an older AIX RS 6000 and had the hard drive die on us. I was able to get the hard drive replaced and it came with AIX 5.3 installed on it but is missing a component that we need. I am trying to install our C+ and Fortran compilers but they require the bos.adt.libm module and I do not have... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: fredn
3 Replies

9. AIX

Downgrade bos.rte.install ?

Hello, Running AIX 6.1 TL2 SP4. bos.rte.install was upgraded to 6.1.4.1 by accident(commited). I'm trying to downgrade it. On my install DVD I found bos.rte.install_6.1.2.1.bff. So I'm trying to downgrade: # installp -acF -d/soft1 bos.rte.install 6.1.2.1... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: vilius
6 Replies

10. AIX

Question about bos.net

Hello everyone, I'm runnign a report and I have several "unowned" files under the /usr/lpp/bos.net directory. Can anyone explain what exactly is bos.net? I've googled it but all I see is"bos.net.tcp client" I would like to have e clear idea of what bos.net id. I'm seeing that those files in... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: designbc
2 Replies
BOS_SHUTDOWN(8) 					       AFS Command Reference						   BOS_SHUTDOWN(8)

NAME
bos_shutdown - Stops a process without changing its status flag SYNOPSIS
bos shutdown -server <machine name> [-instance <instances>+] [-wait] [-cell <cell name>] [-noauth] [-localauth] [-help] bos sh -s <machine name> [-i <instances>+] [-w] [-c <cell name>] [-n] [-l] [-h] DESCRIPTION
The bos shutdown command stops, on the server machine named by the -server argument, either o All of the currently running AFS server processes, except the BOS Server. o Only the processes specified by the -instance argument. This command does not change a process's status flag in the /etc/openafs/BosConfig file, but only in the BOS Server's memory. To stop a process and change its BosConfig status flag, use the bos stop command instead. Once stopped with this command, a process does not run again until an administrator starts it by using the bos start, bos startup, or bos restart command, or until the BOS Server restarts (assuming that the process's BosConfig status flag is "Run"). OPTIONS
-server <machine name> Indicates the server machine on which to stop processes. Identify the machine by IP address or its host name (either fully-qualified or abbreviated unambiguously). For details, see bos(8). -instance <instances>+ Names each process to stop. Use the process name assigned with the -instance argument to the bos create command. The output from the bos status command lists the names. Omit this argument to stop all processes other than the BOS Server. -wait Delays the return of the command shell prompt until all processes actually stop. If this argument is omitted, the prompt returns almost immediately even if all processes are not stopped. -cell <cell name> Names the cell in which to run the command. Do not combine this argument with the -localauth flag. For more details, see bos(8). -noauth Assigns the unprivileged identity "anonymous" to the issuer. Do not combine this flag with the -localauth flag. For more details, see bos(8). -localauth Constructs a server ticket using a key from the local /etc/openafs/server/KeyFile file. The bos command interpreter presents the ticket to the BOS Server during mutual authentication. Do not combine this flag with the -cell or -noauth options. For more details, see bos(8). -help Prints the online help for this command. All other valid options are ignored. EXAMPLES
The following command stops all processes other than the BOS Server on the machine "fs3.abc.com". % bos shutdown fs3.abc.com The following command stops the "upserver" process (server portion of the Update Server) on the machine "fs5.abc.com". % bos shutdown -server fs5.abc.com -instance upserver PRIVILEGE REQUIRED
The issuer must be listed in the /etc/openafs/server/UserList file on the machine named by the -server argument, or must be logged onto a server machine as the local superuser "root" if the -localauth flag is included. SEE ALSO
BosConfig(5), KeyFile(5), UserList(5), bos(8), bos_create(8), bos_restart(8), bos_start(8), bos_startup(8), bos_status(8) COPYRIGHT
IBM Corporation 2000. <http://www.ibm.com/> All Rights Reserved. This documentation is covered by the IBM Public License Version 1.0. It was converted from HTML to POD by software written by Chas Williams and Russ Allbery, based on work by Alf Wachsmann and Elizabeth Cassell. OpenAFS 2012-03-26 BOS_SHUTDOWN(8)