Sponsored Content
Operating Systems OS X (Apple) How to execute a command when system boots? Post 302511025 by tlarkin on Tuesday 5th of April 2011 02:29:18 PM
Old 04-05-2011
Do you want it to run 1) globally at every boot regardless of any users logging in or not, 2) only when a user logs in, or 3) only when specific users log in?

The answer is launchd and it is quite easy, but I need more info to give you an example.

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

AIX 433 boots into command line.

Hi All, I have an AIX 433 workstation that keeps booting into command mode. It was booting into CDE for a long time now. Suddenly now it boots into command line mode. No errors while booting up. Do not see anything in errpt. Don' t know where to start from.. Can any one please help me..thanks. ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: navinxavier
2 Replies

2. AIX

Execute a command at the system restart

Hi Folks, I have an AIX server and I would like the server to run the command saprouter -r at every system restarts. It needs to be run by a specific user. How would I do that? Thanks!!! (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: brookingsd
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

How to remotely execute a script (.COM ) on a VMS system ?

How to remotely execute a script (.COM ) on a VMS system ? rsh ? Thanks in advance (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ivancleber
1 Replies

4. Programming

c++ : Use of System() to execute .exe with parameters

Hello, I 've trie to execute a a program with parameters unsuccessfully and i take the above message : "The system cannot find the path specified." I used a variaton of the above command : system("\"C:\\xxx\\xxx\\xxx.exe -xxx -xxx xxx.xxx xxx.xxx xxx.xxx\""); Thanks in advance (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: eusta
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to execute piped command using exec or system

Hi All, I want to execute a piped command like 'ls /opt | grep xml' using array as parameters list. How can I do that? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: bharadiaam
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Execute shell script in different system

Hi, I have a shell script in systemA and another shell script in systemB. when I execute the script in systemA, it should call the another script in systemB. Please tell me the way to do this. Thanks, Raja. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: smr_rashmy
3 Replies

7. Ubuntu

execute command when Ubuntu boots up ?

hey all,, I want to add comments when Ubuntu starts up.. now I know that there is a directory called /etc/init.d which I can place my scripts there to run them at Ubuntu's startup.. but I prefer if there would be a file which runs when Ubuntu starts!! because it is only one command. not... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: eawedat
2 Replies

8. Solaris

Solaris 10 system boots into Maintenance mode

I have seen similar threads on this issue, but I have not seen a fix. Basically I am getting a lot of rcp bind errors. Below find the output of "svcs -xv". not sure where to begin: # svcs -xv svc:/network/rpc/bind:default (RPC bindings) State: maintenance since Fri May 25 14:13:18 2012... (14 Replies)
Discussion started by: brownwrap
14 Replies

9. Red Hat

Systemd booting and execute system command is Not successful!help!

hi guys, booting centos7 and use systemd execute system command ulimit -SHn 202400 is fail.i dont know what's reason.can you give me help. ------------------------------------------ set-ulimit.service Description=test service After=systemd-update-utmp-runlevel.service #the last... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: shean
1 Replies
UTMP(5) 						      BSD File Formats Manual							   UTMP(5)

NAME
utmp, wtmp, lastlog -- login records (DEPRECATED) SYNOPSIS
#include <utmp.h> DESCRIPTION
The interfaces in file <utmp.h> are all DEPRECATED and are only provided for compatibility with previous releases of Mac OS X. See pututxline(3) and utmpx(5) for the supported interfaces. <utmp.h> declares the structures used to record information about current users in the file utmp, logins and logouts in the file wtmp, and last logins in the file lastlog. The time stamps of date changes, shutdowns and reboots are also logged in the wtmp file. These files can grow rapidly on busy systems, daily or weekly rotation is recommended. If any of these files do not exist, it is not cre- ated. These files must be created manually and are normally maintained in either the script /etc/daily or the script /etc/weekly. (See cron(8).) #define _PATH_UTMP "/var/run/utmp" #define _PATH_WTMP "/var/log/wtmp" #define _PATH_LASTLOG "/var/log/lastlog" #define UT_NAMESIZE 8 #define UT_LINESIZE 8 #define UT_HOSTSIZE 16 struct lastlog { time_t ll_time; char ll_line[UT_LINESIZE]; char ll_host[UT_HOSTSIZE]; }; struct utmp { char ut_line[UT_LINESIZE]; char ut_name[UT_NAMESIZE]; char ut_host[UT_HOSTSIZE]; time_t ut_time; }; Each time a user logs in, the login program looks up the user's UID in the file lastlog. If it is found, the timestamp of the last time the user logged in, the terminal line and the hostname are written to the standard output. (Providing the login is not quiet, see login(1).) The login program then records the new login time in the file lastlog. After the new lastlog record is written , the file utmp is opened and the utmp record for the user inserted. This record remains there until the user logs out at which time it is deleted. The utmp file is used by the programs rwho(1), users(1), w(1), and who(1). Next, the login program opens the file wtmp, and appends the user's utmp record. The same utmp record, with an updated time stamp is later appended to the file when the user logs out. (See launchd(8).) The wtmp file is used by the programs last(1) and ac(8). In the event of a date change, a shutdown or reboot, the following items are logged in the wtmp file. reboot shutdown A system reboot or shutdown has been initiated. The character '~' is placed in the field ut_line, and reboot or shutdown in the field ut_name. (See shutdown(8) and reboot(8).) date The system time has been manually or automatically updated. (See date(1).) The command name date is recorded in the field ut_name. In the field ut_line, the character '|' indicates the time prior to the change, and the character '{' indicates the new time. FILES
(These files no longer exist in 10.5 or later.) /var/run/utmp The utmp file. /var/log/wtmp The wtmp file. /var/log/lastlog The lastlog file. SEE ALSO
last(1), login(1), who(1), ac(8), launchd(8) HISTORY
A utmp and wtmp file format appeared in Version 6 AT&T UNIX. The lastlog file format appeared in 3.0BSD. 4th Berkeley Distribution March 17, 1994 4th Berkeley Distribution