Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: syntax error in .csh file
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting syntax error in .csh file Post 302510820 by chrisjorg on Tuesday 5th of April 2011 05:24:07 AM
Old 04-05-2011
Thanks,
but I keep getting the same error

template_inp.sh: line 4: syntax error near unexpected token `a1='expr${old}/50''
template_inp.sh: line 4: `a1='expr${old}/50''

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

if-else syntax in csh

Dear friends, I am writing a script usiing c-shell. iwant if -else syntax in c-shell i have taken twovariables and in one variable iam storing sysdate.and comparing with other variable if both are same then iam renaming file as oct_2005. please see below code set mon=`date +%m`... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: rajan_ka1
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

csh syntax

I am trying to list output in columns in csh. What would be the syntax for this shell if in ksh it is: ls -d !(*SNMP*) ? (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: charlie11k
0 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Syntax Error Suders file

Hi, I tried to edit my sudoers file using visudo and placed some valid entries. when i tried to save the file. the system warned me that the file holds error at line 26 and asked me what to do. I just quited the task and file was not saved. I wonder what might be the error , for review... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Asteroid
0 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

syntax error: unexpected end of file

Hi, I need ur help is this matter, i have th ebelow script, and i keep getting this error: syntax error: unexpected end of file affectedRow=`cat dbOutput.log | grep "1 row affected"` echo "affectedRow : $affectedRow" if ; then echo "Look to the next OMCDB" ... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: Alaeddin
10 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

I have a script that's failing ./zzmaster.sh: line 2: syntax error: unexpected end of file There are 4 scripts total involved. The first 'znocc0.sh' essentially curls a page then does some sed sequences... #!/bin/sh #GET SENTINAL INFO curl -b z0cookie.txt -L -k -e... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: phpfreak
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Hi, I am newbie to UNIX scripting. I am facing this error "syntax error: unexpected end of file" while executing the following script: ------ a=$1 if then sqlplus -s prospect_stg/prospect_stg@mdmpt <<END insert into bckup_marc_parameter_lookup select * from... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: boopathyvasagam
6 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

syntax error near unexpected token `for file in

I am trying to run the code below however I am getting a "syntax error near unexpected token `for file in error" on the line that is in red. I have the semicolons after every line because it will fail on the copy if I don't have them saying that it cannot stat directory. Is there something that I... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: coach5779
3 Replies

8. Solaris

Nice syntax in csh on Solaris 10

Dear Solaris Experts, I would like to set the lowest priority when running a resource intensive program in C shell on Solaris 10 similar to the following syntax that works in Korn shell: $ nice -n 19 programHowever, I got the following error when running the same command in C shell: 9 ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: gjackson123
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Unexpected End of File Syntax Error

Hi, I am brand new to this so I apologize ahead of time for any formatting problems. I know there is a previous (closed) thread on here about this problem but I wasn't able to fix the error following the posts there so I thought I could create a new one. Here is the error I am getting: ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: SierraG
3 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

IF section problem. syntax error: unexpected end of file error

Hello, I have another problem with my script. Please accept my apologies, but I am really nooby in sh scripts. I am writing it for first time. My script: returned=`tail -50 SapLogs.log | grep -i "Error"` echo $returned if ; then echo "There is no errors in the logs" fi And after... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: jedzio
10 Replies
EXPR(1) 						    BSD General Commands Manual 						   EXPR(1)

NAME
expr -- evaluate expression SYNOPSIS
expr expression DESCRIPTION
The expr utility evaluates expression and writes the result on standard output. All operators are separate arguments to the expr utility. Characters special to the command interpreter must be escaped. Operators are listed below in order of increasing precedence. Operators with equal precedence are grouped within { } symbols. expr1 | expr2 Returns the evaluation of expr1 if it is neither an empty string nor zero; otherwise, returns the evaluation of expr2. expr1 & expr2 Returns the evaluation of expr1 if neither expression evaluates to an empty string or zero; otherwise, returns zero. expr1 {=, >, >=, <, <=, !=} expr2 Returns the results of integer comparison if both arguments are integers; otherwise, returns the results of string comparison using the locale-specific collation sequence. The result of each comparison is 1 if the specified relation is true, or 0 if the relation is false. expr1 {+, -} expr2 Returns the results of addition or subtraction of integer-valued arguments. expr1 {*, /, %} expr2 Returns the results of multiplication, integer division, or remainder of integer-valued arguments. expr1 : expr2 The ``:'' operator matches expr1 against expr2, which must be a regular expression. The regular expression is anchored to the begin- ning of the string with an implicit ``^''. If the match succeeds and the pattern contains at least one regular expression subexpression ``(...)'', the string corresponding to ``1'' is returned; otherwise the matching operator returns the number of characters matched. If the match fails and the pattern contains a regular expression subexpression the null string is returned; otherwise 0. ( expr ) Parentheses are used for grouping in the usual manner. Additionally, the following keywords are recognized: length expr Returns the length of the specified string in bytes. Operator precedence (from highest to lowest): 1. parentheses 2. length 3. ``:'' 4. ``*'', ``/'', and ``%'' 5. ``+'' and ``-'' 6. compare operators 7. ``&'' 8. ``|'' EXIT STATUS
The expr utility exits with one of the following values: 0 the expression is neither an empty string nor 0. 1 the expression is an empty string or 0. 2 the expression is invalid. >2 an error occurred (such as memory allocation failure). EXAMPLES
1. The following example adds one to the variable a. a=`expr $a + 1` 2. The following example returns zero, due to subtraction having higher precedence than '&' operator. expr 1 '&' 1 - 1 3. The following example returns the filename portion of a pathname stored in variable a. expr /$a : '.*/(.*)' 4. The following example returns the number of characters in variable a. expr $a : '.*' COMPATIBILITY
This implementation of expr internally uses 64 bit representation of integers and checks for over- and underflows. It also treats / (divi- sion mark) and option '--' correctly depending upon context. expr on other systems (including NetBSD up to and including NetBSD 1.5) might not be so graceful. Arithmetic results might be arbitrarily limited on such systems, most commonly to 32 bit quantities. This means such expr can only process values between -2147483648 and +2147483647. On other systems, expr might also not work correctly for regular expressions where either side contains single forward slash, like this: expr / : '.*/(.*)' If this is the case, you might use // (double forward slash) to avoid confusion with the division operator: expr "//$a" : '.*/(.*)' According to IEEE Std 1003.2 (``POSIX.2''), expr has to recognize special option '--', treat it as an end of command line options and ignore it. Some expr implementations don't recognize it at all, others might ignore it even in cases where doing so results in syntax error. There should be same result for both following examples, but it might not always be: 1. expr -- : . 2. expr -- -- : . Although NetBSD expr handles both cases correctly, you should not depend on this behavior for portability reasons and avoid passing bare '--' as first argument. STANDARDS
The expr utility conforms to IEEE Std 1003.2 (``POSIX.2''). The length keyword is an extension for compatibility with GNU expr. AUTHORS
Original implementation was written by J.T. Conklin <jtc@NetBSD.org>. It was rewritten for NetBSD 1.6 by Jaromir Dolecek <jdolecek@NetBSD.org>. NOTES
The empty string ``'' cannot be matched with the intuitive: expr '' : '$' The reason is that the returned number of matched characters (zero) is indistinguishable from a failed match, so this returns failure. To match the empty string, use something like: expr x'' : 'x$' BSD
April 20, 2004 BSD