Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Multiple Variables for BASH script Post 302510790 by eclerget on Tuesday 5th of April 2011 03:26:30 AM
Old 04-05-2011
Multiple Variables for BASH script

Hello, I am new to the whole "scripting" thing. Below is the script that I have so far and where i need the Variables to go (VAR#)
Code:
#!/bin/bash
#Sample Script

VAR1=

echo "Choose an option: 1) Create a file. 2) Delete a file. 3) Move a file." 
read VAR1

case $VAR1 in
  1)
   echo "Pick new file name."
touch VAR2   
;;
  2)
   echo "Pick name of file to delete:"
rm VAR2
   ;;
  3)
   echo "Select Source File:"
read VAR2
   echo "Select Destination:"
read VAR3
   ;;  
  *)
   echo "Invalid option, please try again."
   ;;
esac

Im just not sure where in the script to include what VAR2 and VAR3 = would it be in the same area as VAR1= is located? please help if someone could.

store their choice in a variable named VAR2
store their choice in a variable named VAR3

---------- Post updated at 03:26 AM ---------- Previous update was at 03:06 AM ----------

oh also forgot to mention that I am using ubuntu 9.10

Last edited by Franklin52; 04-05-2011 at 04:22 AM.. Reason: Please use code tags

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX Desktop Questions & Answers

trying to create a script with multiple variables...

I have created a script that prompts the user to enter three variables that are seperated by a space as the delimiter. It then performs a command 3 seperate times for each variable entered. I want the script to llow the user to enter as many variables as they may like and the script to... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Italy87
5 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Unable to change environment variables in bash script

Hello! For the moment some settings in my .bashrc contain the password of my company's firewall, which is not a good idea. I would like to use the string "PASSWORD" set in .bashrc and a script that changes all appearances of "PASSWORD" in the environment variables by the actual password (which... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: markolopa
4 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

problem using variables in bash script

I am using variable to give the location of the file I am using but I get error. Here is the code: LogFile=/tmp/log.email echo -e "could not close the service - error number $error \n" > $LogFile well this is not all the code but is enough because the problem start when I try to use the... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: programAngel
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to call multiple variables in bash !!

Hi all , I have a file with below data , bash#cat file.txt user1 amount1 status1 user2 amount2 status2 user3 amount3 status3 user4 amount4 status4 . . . Now i have a command to be executed with above values like below , ./errorcheck -u user1 -a amount1 -s status1 ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: gnanasekar_beem
3 Replies

5. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Bash script with export variables

Hi all guys, how you can read in thread title, I'm deploying a bash script in which I have to export some variables inside it. But (I think you know) the export command works only inside the script and so, on exit command, the variables aren't set like I set inside the script. Consequently in... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: idro
8 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Running a script with multiple variables like 25 variables.

Hi All, i have a requirement where i have to run a script with at least 25 arguements and position of arguements can also change. the unapropriate way is like below. can we achieve this in more good and precise way?? #!/bin/ksh ##script is sample.ksh age=$1 gender=$2 class=$3 . . .... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Lakshman_Gupta
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

'Dynamic' setting of variables in bash script

Hi all, I want to dynamically set variables in a bash script. I made a naive attempt in a while loop that hopefully can clarify the idea. n=0; echo "$lst" | while read p; do n=$(($n+1)); p"$n"="$p"; done The error message is: bash: p1=line1: command not found bash: p2=line2: command... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: jeppe83
8 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Problem with variables and bash script

From the command line: dions-air:scripts dion$ ls -l /Users/dion/Library/Application\ Support/Garmin/Devices/3816821036/History/2014-06-07-055251.TCX -rw-r--r-- 1 dion staff 157934 7 Jun 06:55 /Users/dion/Library/Application Support/Garmin/Devices/3816821036/History/2014-06-07-055251.TCXworks... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: dionbl
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Multiple bash variables passed into nawk

I have a file that has 2 fields called b_file: 11977 DAR.V3.20150209.1.CSV 3295 DAR.V3.20150209.1.CSV 1721 DAR.V2.20150210.1.CSV I need to search a sftplog using the field 1, but want to maintain the relationship between field 1 and 2. I am passing field 1 as a parameter in a bash loop. ... (14 Replies)
Discussion started by: smenago
14 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Connecting and changing variables in Bash script

#!/bin/bash X=$(</home/cogiz/computerhand.txt) # (3S 8C 2H 6D QC 8S 4H 5H) Y=$(</home/cogiz/topcardinplay.txt) # KS A=( "${Y::1}" ) B=( "${Y:1}" ) for e in ${X}; do if ]; then # searching for valid cards K,S or 8 ... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: cogiz
0 Replies
DDB(8)							    BSD System Manager's Manual 						    DDB(8)

NAME
ddb -- configure DDB kernel debugger properties SYNOPSIS
ddb capture [-M -core] [-N -system] print ddb capture [-M -core] [-N -system] status ddb script scriptname ddb script scriptname=script ddb scripts ddb unscript scriptname ddb pathname DESCRIPTION
The ddb utility configures certain aspects of the ddb(4) kernel debugger from user space that are not configured at compile-time or easily via sysctl(8) MIB entries. To ease configuration, commands can be put in a file which is processed using ddb as shown in the last synopsis line. An absolute pathname must be used. The file will be read line by line and applied as arguments to the ddb utility. Whitespace at the beginning of lines will be ignored as will lines where the first non-whitespace character is '#'. OUTPUT CAPTURE
The ddb utility can be used to extract the contents of the ddb(4) output capture buffer of the current live kernel, or from the crash dump of a kernel on disk. The following debugger commands are available from the command line: capture [-M core] [-N system] print Print the current contents of the ddb(4) output capture buffer. capture [-M core] [-N system] status Print the current status of the ddb(4) output capture buffer. SCRIPTING
The ddb utility can be used to configure aspects of ddb(4) scripting from user space; scripting support is described in more detail in ddb(4). Each of the debugger commands is available from the command line: script scriptname Print the script named scriptname. script scriptname=script Define a script named scriptname. As many scripts contain characters interpreted in special ways by the shell, it is advisable to enclose script in quotes. scripts List currently defined scripts. unscript scriptname Delete the script named scriptname. EXIT STATUS
The ddb utility exits 0 on success, and >0 if an error occurs. EXAMPLES
The following example defines a script that will execute when the kernel debugger is entered as a result of a break signal: ddb script kdb.enter.break="show pcpu; bt" The following example will delete the script: ddb unscript kdb.enter.break For further examples, see the ddb(4) and textdump(4) manual pages. SEE ALSO
ddb(4), textdump(4), sysctl(8) HISTORY
The ddb utility first appeared in FreeBSD 7.1. AUTHORS
Robert N M Watson BUGS
Ideally, ddb would not exist, as all pertinent aspects of ddb(4) could be configured directly via sysctl(8). BSD
December 24, 2008 BSD