Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Solaris Enable FTP for root user in Solaris 10 Post 302510746 by webkid on Monday 4th of April 2011 09:28:54 PM
Old 04-04-2011
Enable FTP for root user in Solaris 10

I am not able to get ftp working for Solaris 10 for root user. I am getting login failed error.
331 Password required for root.
Password:
530 Login incorrect.
Login failed.

Tried following things already.
1. SFTP works ok, still would like to know why FTP is not working (curious).
2. removed root from /etc/ftpd/ftpusers. restarted FTP using both svsadm and inetadm, but no luck.
3. commented CONSOLE in /etc/default/login
4. It works fine in solaris 9 by doing step 2,3. What am I missing with Sol10.
5. Also, checked in /etc/ftpaccess file, no deny-uid or deny-gid defined.

Any help on this will be highly appreciated.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Solaris

Solaris 8 - FTP server -enable

Hi, I have turn off the FTP service and rebooted the server . (edit /etc/inetd.conf and /etc/inet/services) Now , how can I enable back the FTP without rebooting the server . Thanks (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: civic2005
1 Replies

2. Solaris

Want to block ftp for root user

Hi Friends, I would like to block the root user for doing ftp. As I am aware that I need to put the entry for root in /etc/ftpusers.....am I right...??? But I am not able to edit the file & even more command is not working. #ls -l ftp* total 14 -rw-r--r-- 1 root sys 1249 Jun... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: jumadhiya
3 Replies

3. Linux

How to Enable TELNET for root user

How to Enable TELNET for root user in Linux. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: sakthi_13
3 Replies

4. Solaris

Permissions for the root user on Solaris 10

Hi I have a doubt, here if a file does not have the write permissions to the root user my script is going to write the data into that file. when i executed the script as root user. Is it correct ... ? (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Shreedhar Naik
4 Replies

5. Solaris

How to start CDE for non root user on Solaris 10

Hi, How can I start CDE for non root user created.For root CDE is working fine but for non root user CDE exits back to login screen after trying for some time.Also I cant see .dt and .dtprofile files in the users home directory.How can I create them.Kindly help. Thanks & Regards, Kiran. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: kiranherekar
1 Replies

6. Solaris

Non-root user access to privileged ports-Solaris 8

Please let me know how to setup a non-root user to be able to access a privileged port (<1024) on Solaris 8. I am currently running tomcat as "tomcat" user and I get the following error during to start up: SEVERE: Error initializing endpoint java.net.BindException: Permission denied<null>:443 (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: pingmeback
5 Replies

7. Solaris

About FTP Only User under Solaris 10

Hi, I am using Solaris 10. I am trying to create a restricted user: 1. which can ftp in to and ftp out from a Directory Tree 2. which can use only commands: prompt, get, mget, put, mput, delete, mdelete First of all I would like to know, whether this is possible or not If it is possible,... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: SnehalRBhatt
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to enable "banner" for a user in solaris?

Password: Using keyboard-interactive authentication. Do you agree with the banner terms (y/n)?: y (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: frintocf
4 Replies

9. Solaris

Solaris 10 - 'ls' green for root user only

Welcome to all. Have an issue and looking for help so hope someone is able to give me some clues. I prepared some shell scripts with coloured output to help other guys to have more automated task. Not sure if I did this but now whenever I use 'ls' command for root user every output in... (29 Replies)
Discussion started by: TiedCone
29 Replies

10. Solaris

Root user not recognizing on Solaris-10 (shadow file corruption)

Hello, I got into a wired state on one of solaris 10 server. When I noticed that server is having some issue, I found that there were dumpadm.conf entries in /etc/shadow and real entries were wiped of. Probably somebody fat fingers. I was able to boot into failsafe, break SVM mirror, copied... (25 Replies)
Discussion started by: solaris_1977
25 Replies
ftpusers(4)							   File Formats 						       ftpusers(4)

NAME
ftpusers - file listing users to be disallowed ftp login privileges SYNOPSIS
/etc/ftpd/ftpusers DESCRIPTION
The ftpusers file lists users for whom ftp login privileges are disallowed. Each ftpuser entry is a single line of the form: name where name is the user's login name. The FTP Server, in.ftpd(1M), reads the ftpusers file. If the login name of the user matches one of the entries listed, it rejects the login attempt. The ftpusers file has the following default configuration entries: root daemon bin sys adm lp uccp nuucp smmsp listen nobody noaccess nobody4 These entries match the default instantiated entries from passwd(4). The list of default entries typically contains the superuser root and other administrative and system application identities. The root entry is included in the ftpusers file as a security measure since the default policy is to disallow remote logins for this iden- tity. This policy is also set in the default value of the CONSOLE entry in the /etc/default/login file. See login(1). If you allow root login privileges by deleting the root entry in ftpusers, you should also modify the security policy in /etc/default/login to reflect the site security policy for remote login access by root. Other default entries are administrative identities that are typically assumed by system applications but never used for local or remote login, for example sys and nobody. Since these entries do not have a valid password field instantiated in shadow(4), no login can be per- formed. If a site adds similar administrative or system application identities in passwd(4) and shadow(4), for example, majordomo, the site should consider including them in the ftpusers file for a consistent security policy. Lines that begin with # are treated as comment lines and are ignored. FILES
/etc/ftpd/ftpusers A file that lists users for whom ftp login privileges are disallowed. /etc/ftpusers See /etc/ftpd/ftpusers. This file is deprecated, although its use is still supported. /etc/default/login /etc/passwd password file /etc/shadow shadow password file ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWftpr | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Interface Stability |See below. | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ The interface stability for /etc/ftpd/ftpusers is Volatile. The interface stability for /etc/ftpusers is (Obsolete). SEE ALSO
login(1), in.ftpd(1M), ftpaccess(4), ftphosts(4), passwd(4), shadow(4), attributes(5), environ(5) SunOS 5.11 1 May 2003 ftpusers(4)