Sponsored Content
Top Forums Programming how to check if something exists in a struct linked list? Post 302510742 by omega666 on Monday 4th of April 2011 10:13:04 PM
Old 04-04-2011
how to check if something exists in a struct linked list?

can someone provide an example of a struct linked list, where it has strings as its values, and then how do I check if a specific string (say called buffer) exists in the list of structs?

i dont understand how to make a copy of it to check with
this is what i have
Code:

// CHECK IF ITEM EXISTS IN THE ITEM LIST
                        check=0; tmp_item_list=item_list;
                        while(tmp_item_list) {
                            if (strcmp(tmp_item_list->number,buffer)==0) { 
                                tmp_buffer0[0]='\0';
                                strcat(tmp_buffer0,tmp_item_list->number);
                                strcat(tmp_buffer0," ");
                                strcat(tmp_buffer0,tmp_item_list->name);
                                strcat(tmp_buffer0," ");
                                strcat(tmp_buffer0,tmp_item_list->current_price);
                                strcat(tmp_buffer0,"\n");
                                send_message(i, tmp_buffer0); check=1; break; 
                            }
                            tmp_item_list=tmp_item_list->next;
                        }

i want to make a copy because if i dont then
tmp_item_list=tmp_item_list->next;
will screw it up

also this wont work, because somehow when i iterate through the list, it seems the list repeats again...Smilie

this compiles fine with no errors/warnings

---------- Post updated at 10:13 PM ---------- Previous update was at 09:00 PM ----------

nvm i got it now

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

List linked files

A perl script that displays the list of files which have multiple links..! ls -l shows number of links in a field. (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: aadi_uni
0 Replies

2. Programming

linked list node with pointer to struct

Suppose to have: struct Tstudent { string name, surname; int matriculation_num; }; struct Tnode { Tstudent* student; Tnodo* next; } L;I want to deference that "student" pointer. For example, I tried with: *(L->student).matriculation_numbut it not worked, as terminal... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Luke Bonham
4 Replies

3. Programming

shared memory with linked list??

is this possible, if so plz please share with me.. Correct English please, not Cyber-/Leetspeak (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: vijay_manpage
11 Replies

4. Programming

Help with linked list in C

i have this code typedef struct client_list { char *client_name; struct client_list * next; int client_socket_fd; } client; client *current, *head; head = NULL; char *h="test"; add_client(current, h, head, &client_socket_fd); ... (24 Replies)
Discussion started by: omega666
24 Replies

5. Programming

How to check if something exists in linked list in C?

i have a linked list set up like typedef struct client_list { char *client_name; int client_socket_fd; struct client_list *next; } client; client *client_list=NULL; before adding to the list i check if it already exists, only if it does not then i add if (client_list==NULL... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: omega666
1 Replies

6. Programming

Storing C++-struct in file - problem when adding new item in struct

Hi, I have received an application that stores some properties in a file. The existing struct looks like this: struct TData { UINT uSizeIncludingStrings; // copy of Telnet data struct UINT uSize; // basic properties: TCHAR szHost; //defined in Sshconfig UINT iPortNr; TCHAR... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Powerponken
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

File exists, but cannot be opened.How to check- whether it could be opened to read when it exists

Hi #Testing for file existence if ; then echo 'SCHOOL data is available for processing' else echo 'SCHOOL DATA IS NOT AVAILABLE FOR PROCESSING' : i wrote a script, where it begins by checking if file exists or not. If it exists, it truncates the database... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: rxg
2 Replies

8. Programming

Check The value a pointer returned by struct s_client != 0

Hi guys , i got segment fault , and when i trace , found it happens since the value of pointer which is returned by Struct S_client (*ptr) is zero if (ptr !=0)i know , adding above line of code is not the solution and not correct for the case since above line only check for the pointer... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: pooyair
1 Replies

9. Programming

Help with linked list.

#include<stdio.h> #include<stdlib.h> struct LinkedList { int val; struct LinkedList *next; }node; /*Creating a structure variable*/ typedef struct LinkedList Node; Node *start = NULL; int create(int i) { Node *temp = NULL; if (start == NULL) ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: prinsh
5 Replies

10. Programming

How to reverse a linked list by traversing only once.?

Program to reverse a linked list by traversing only once. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: VSSajjan
1 Replies
STRCAT(3)						     Linux Programmer's Manual							 STRCAT(3)

NAME
strcat, strncat - concatenate two strings SYNOPSIS
#include <string.h> char *strcat(char *dest, const char *src); char *strncat(char *dest, const char *src, size_t n); DESCRIPTION
The strcat() function appends the src string to the dest string, overwriting the terminating null byte ('') at the end of dest, and then adds a terminating null byte. The strings may not overlap, and the dest string must have enough space for the result. If dest is not large enough, program behavior is unpredictable; buffer overruns are a favorite avenue for attacking secure programs. The strncat() function is similar, except that * it will use at most n bytes from src; and * src does not need to be null-terminated if it contains n or more bytes. As with strcat(), the resulting string in dest is always null-terminated. If src contains n or more bytes, strncat() writes n+1 bytes to dest (n from src plus the terminating null byte). Therefore, the size of dest must be at least strlen(dest)+n+1. A simple implementation of strncat() might be: char* strncat(char *dest, const char *src, size_t n) { size_t dest_len = strlen(dest); size_t i; for (i = 0 ; i < n && src[i] != '' ; i++) dest[dest_len + i] = src[i]; dest[dest_len + i] = ''; return dest; } RETURN VALUE
The strcat() and strncat() functions return a pointer to the resulting string dest. CONFORMING TO
SVr4, 4.3BSD, C89, C99. NOTES
Some systems (the BSDs, Solaris, and others) provide the following function: size_t strlcat(char *dest, const char *src, size_t size); This function appends the null-terminated string src to the string dest, copying at most size-strlen(dest)-1 from src, and adds a null ter- minator to the result, unless size is less than strlen(dest). This function fixes the buffer overrun problem of strcat(), but the caller must still handle the possibility of data loss if size is too small. The function returns the length of the string strlcat() tried to cre- ate; if the return value is greater than or equal to size, data loss occurred. If data loss matters, the caller must either check the arguments before the call, or test the function return value. strlcat() is not present in glibc and is not standardized by POSIX, but is available on Linux via the libbsd library. SEE ALSO
bcopy(3), memccpy(3), memcpy(3), strcpy(3), string(3), strncpy(3), wcscat(3), wcsncat(3) COLOPHON
This page is part of release 3.53 of the Linux man-pages project. A description of the project, and information about reporting bugs, can be found at http://www.kernel.org/doc/man-pages/. GNU
2012-07-19 STRCAT(3)