Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Help with Shell Scripting
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Help with Shell Scripting Post 302510721 by ravenwolf on Monday 4th of April 2011 07:47:09 PM
Old 04-04-2011
hi alister,

The format of the log file is this:

<dd-mm-yyyy hh:mm:ss> [INFO/ERROR]: <Log Messages> ...

Every 11:55PM, the current day's logfile is move to the archive directory and appended with the date stamp in the filename. A new log file will be created to the next days transactions.

Basically, the script will need to capture all the lines with the message "ERROR" within the 30 minute time frame.

As per your question "how will it know where it left off', that is actually my biggest problem. I have no idea how to determine at the moment where it ends. One thing I can think of is if it possible to check for lines updated 30 minutes before the system run time? Is it possible to base on the date & time that is in the logs?

Last edited by DukeNuke2; 04-05-2011 at 02:29 AM..

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

difference between AIX shell scripting and Unix shell scripting.

please give the difference between AIX shell scripting and Unix shell scripting. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: haroonec
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Call Shell scripting from Perl Scripting.

Hi How to call a shell scripting through a Perl scripting? Actually I need some value from Shell scripting and passes in the Perl scripting. So how can i do this? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: anupdas
2 Replies

3. What is on Your Mind?

Shell scripting vs Perl scripting

Hi all, I would like to start developping some good scripting skills. Do you think it would be best to start with shell scripting or Perl? I already got a fundation, really basics, in perl. but I am wondering what would be best to be good at first. Can you please help me determine which one to... (14 Replies)
Discussion started by: Pouchie1
14 Replies

4. Android

Android Scripting Environment: Shell Scripting and Android

I just upgraded to Android 2.2 from 2.1. The GPS issue that was troublesome in 2.1 seems to have been fixed. Some of web browsing seems faster, but it could just be my connection is better today ;) Flash works in some browsers but not very good and it is too slow for Flash apps designed for... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Neo
0 Replies

5. What is on Your Mind?

Shell Scripting vs Perl scripting

Gents, I have been working in a Solaris/Unix environment for about 9 months. I took some linux classses online before getting the job. But, I am not very good at scripting. I want to learn how to script. Do you think that I should start with Shell scripting or Perl? I wanted to continue with... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Pouchie1
2 Replies

6. Web Development

Perl scripting or shell scripting?

i am going to study any one of the scripting languages mentioned above(shell 0r perl scripting) . Which is having more scope for a fresher? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Anna Hussie
1 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Shell Scripting

Hey I have a data in the file named as outputFile.txt. The data is in the format 123456,12345678912345,400,09/09/09,INACTIVE. I want this output without commas ie 12345612345678912345400090909INACTIVE. Please tell me what to do and clear explain all the terms, as I am new to it. (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: sampandey31
6 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell scripting

Hi, if in a network there are lots of PCs connected with either windows or linux as operating system.Then what will be the shell script for the same and also if the PC has linux in it then we have to find if it is occupied or unoccupied. If the PC has windows in it then we have to find if it is... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: akansha singh
6 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

help me in Shell Scripting

Hi there please have a look at the code..i want to create Using a named pipe. Run a find in the background starting in the working directory While this is happening wait for input from the user to ask him which file to find. If the user does not enter any data in 10 seconds ask the user again.... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: kattak1511
1 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Shell script to read lines in a text file and filter user data Shell Programming and Scripting

sxsaaas (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: VikrantD
3 Replies
ROTATELOGS(8)							    rotatelogs							     ROTATELOGS(8)

NAME
rotatelogs - Piped logging program to rotate Apache logs SYNOPSIS
rotatelogs [ -l ] [ -f ] logfile rotationtime|filesizeM [ offset ] SUMMARY
rotatelogs is a simple program for use in conjunction with Apache's piped logfile feature. It supports rotation based on a time interval or maximum size of the log. OPTIONS
-l Causes the use of local time rather than GMT as the base for the interval or for strftime(3) formatting with size-based rotation. Note that using -l in an environment which changes the GMT offset (such as for BST or DST) can lead to unpredictable results! -f Causes the logfile to be opened immediately, as soon as rotatelogs starts, instead of waiting for the first logfile entry to be read (for non-busy sites, there may be a substantial delay between when the server is started and when the first request is handled, meaning that the associated logfile does not "exist" until then, which causes problems from some automated logging tools). Available in version 2.2.9 and later. logfile rotationtime The time between log file rotations in seconds. The rotation occurs at the beginning of this interval. For example, if the rotation time is 3600, the log file will be rotated at the beginning of every hour; if the rotation time is 86400, the log file will be rotated every night at midnight. (If no data is logged during an interval, no file will be created.) filesizeM The maximum file size in megabytes followed by the letter M to specify size rather than time. offset The number of minutes offset from UTC. If omitted, zero is assumed and UTC is used. For example, to use local time in the zone UTC -5 hours, specify a value of -300 for this argument. In most cases, -l should be used instead of specifying an offset. EXAMPLES
CustomLog "|bin/rotatelogs /var/logs/logfile 86400" common This creates the files /var/logs/logfile.nnnn where nnnn is the system time at which the log nominally starts (this time will always be a multiple of the rotation time, so you can synchronize cron scripts with it). At the end of each rotation time (here after 24 hours) a new log is started. CustomLog "|bin/rotatelogs -l /var/logs/logfile.%Y.%m.%d 86400" common This creates the files /var/logs/logfile.yyyy.mm.dd where yyyy is the year, mm is the month, and dd is the day of the month. Logging will switch to a new file every day at midnight, local time. CustomLog "|bin/rotatelogs /var/logs/logfile 5M" common This configuration will rotate the logfile whenever it reaches a size of 5 megabytes. ErrorLog "|bin/rotatelogs /var/logs/errorlog.%Y-%m-%d-%H_%M_%S 5M" This configuration will rotate the error logfile whenever it reaches a size of 5 megabytes, and the suffix to the logfile name will be cre- ated of the form errorlog.YYYY-mm-dd-HH_MM_SS. PORTABILITY
The following logfile format string substitutions should be supported by all strftime(3) implementations, see the strftime(3) man page for library-specific extensions. o %A - full weekday name (localized) o %a - 3-character weekday name (localized) o %B - full month name (localized) o %b - 3-character month name (localized) o %c - date and time (localized) o %d - 2-digit day of month o %H - 2-digit hour (24 hour clock) o %I - 2-digit hour (12 hour clock) o %j - 3-digit day of year o %M - 2-digit minute o %m - 2-digit month o %p - am/pm of 12 hour clock (localized) o %S - 2-digit second o %U - 2-digit week of year (Sunday first day of week) o %W - 2-digit week of year (Monday first day of week) o %w - 1-digit weekday (Sunday first day of week) o %X - time (localized) o %x - date (localized) o %Y - 4-digit year o %y - 2-digit year o %Z - time zone name o %% - literal `%' Apache HTTP Server 2010-11-06 ROTATELOGS(8)