Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: sed help finding and editing
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers sed help finding and editing Post 302510436 by acmvillareal on Monday 4th of April 2011 01:22:04 AM
Old 04-04-2011
sddDVM12312373069

Code:
echo sddDVM12312373069 | sed 's/DVM/"DVM"/' | sed 's/73069/"73069"/'

Output:
Code:
sdd"DVM"123123"73069"

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Editing File using awk/sed

Hello Awk Gurus, Can anyone of you help me with the below problem. I have got a file having data in below format pmFaultyTransportBlocks ----------------------- 9842993 pmFrmNoOfDiscRachFrames ----------------------- NULL pmNoRecRandomAccSuccess -----------------------... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Mohammed
4 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Can sed perform editing operations ONLY in the matched region?

Hi: Let's suppose I want to replace all the | by > ONLY when | is between . Usually (and it works) I would do something like sed -e 's/\(\*\)|\(*\]\)/\1>\2/g' where I have to "save" some portions of the matched region and use them with the \n metacharacter. I was wondering if I could... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: islegmar
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Editing Commas in a textfile using sed

Hi guys task removing the last commas of 5th and 6th columns. The bug in the script is causing effect because of whitespaces around commas. I tried to delete white spaces first and running the above script. but still some where getting the results wrong. I already have a script to do this... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: repinementer
12 Replies

4. Homework & Coursework Questions

String editing using sed? awk?

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data: Problem Statement for project: When an account is created on the CS Unix network, a public html directory is created in the account's home directory. A default web page is put into that directory. Some users replace or... (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: peage1475
13 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

problem in using sed command in editing a file

Hi all, I have a conf file, i want to update some entries in that conf file. Below is the code for that using a temporary file. sed '/workgroup=/ c\workgroup=Workgroup' /usr/local/netx.conf > /usr/local/netx.conf.tmp mv -f /usr/local/netx.conf.tmp /usr/local/netx.conf Sample contents of... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: ranj14r
9 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed or awk editing help

Hi all I use aix (sadly). I've got a file consisting of fields separated by commas, I need a sed or awk command that will delete all spaces between two commas as long as there are only spaces between the commas. eg ,abc, ,sd , ,dr at would become ,abc,,sd ,,dr at I have... (53 Replies)
Discussion started by: mychmose
53 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Line/Variable Editing for Awk sed Cut

Hello, i have a file, i open the file and read the line, i want to get the first item in the csv file and also teh third+6 item and wirte it to a new csv file. only problem is that using echo it takes TOO LONG: please help a newbie. below is my code: WorkingDir=$1 FileName=`cut -d ',' -f... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: limamichelle
2 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

sed editing help....

Hello all, I need some help with sed. seems like i cant get through it. So here is what i am trying. when i do ps -ef|grep bla blah ...like below...i get /u01/app/oracle/11g/bin/tnslsnr .... but i want to replace that string with something using sed. So basically i want to get rid of... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: abdul.irfan2
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

editing file with awk cut and sed

HI All, I am new to unix. I have a file would like to do some editing by using awk, cut and sed. Could anyone help? This file contain 100 lines. There are one line for example: 2,"102343454",5060,"579668","579668","579668","SIP",,,"825922","035885221283026",1,268,"00:59:00.782 APR 17... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: mimilaw
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Editing files with sed or something similar

{ "AFafa": "FAFA","AFafa": "FAFA" "baseball":"soccer","wrestling":"dancing" "rhinos":"crocodiles","roles":"foodchain" } I need to insert a new line before the closing brackets "}" so that the final output looks like this: { "AFafa": "FAFA","AFafa": "FAFA"... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: SkySmart
6 Replies
SHTOOL-SUBST.TMP(1)					      GNU Portable Shell Tool					       SHTOOL-SUBST.TMP(1)

NAME
shtool-subst - GNU shtool sed(1) substitution operations SYNOPSIS
shtool subst [-v|--verbose] [-t|--trace] [-n|--nop] [-w|--warning] [-q|--quiet] [-s|--stealth] [-i|--interactive] [-b|--backup ext] [-e|--exec cmd] [-f|--file cmd-file] [file] [file ...] DESCRIPTION
This command applies one or more sed(1) substitution operations to stdin or any number of files. OPTIONS
The following command line options are available. -v, --verbose Display some processing information. -t, --trace Enable the output of the essential shell commands which are executed. -n, --nop No operation mode. Actual execution of the essential shell commands which would be executed is suppressed. -w, --warning Show warning on substitution operation resulting in no content change on every file. The default is to show a warning on substitution operations resulted in no content change on all files. -q, --quiet Suppress warning on substitution operation resulting in no content change. -s, --stealth Stealth operation. Preserve timestamp on file. -i, --interactive Enter interactive mode where the user has to approve each operation. -b, --backup ext Preserve backup of original file using file name extension ext. Default is to overwrite the original file. -e, --exec cmd Specify sed(1) command directly. -f, --file cmd-file Read sed(1) command from file. EXAMPLE
# shell script shtool subst -i -e 's;(c) ([0-9]*)-2000;(c) 1-2001;' *.[ch] # RPM spec-file %install shtool subst -v -n -e 's;^(prefix=).*;1 $RPM_BUILD_ROOT%{_prefix};g' -e 's;^(sysconfdir=).*;1 $RPM_BUILD_ROOT%{_prefix}/etc;g' `find . -name Makefile -print` make install HISTORY
The GNU shtool subst command was originally written by Ralf S. Engelschall <rse@engelschall.com> in 2001 for GNU shtool. It was prompted by the need to have a uniform and convenient patching frontend to sed(1) operations in the OpenPKG package specifications. SEE ALSO
shtool(1), sed(1). 18-Jul-2008 shtool 2.0.8 SHTOOL-SUBST.TMP(1)