Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Linux Red Hat INIT: Id "x" respawning too fast Post 302510417 by Corona688 on Sunday 3rd of April 2011 07:56:07 PM
Old 04-03-2011
If you can't get into your system at all, there's no magic command we can give you that's going to let you do so. You'll have to boot a livecd of some sort.

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Doubt regarding "init q"

I am writing a script for the installation of a new version of my executable. The process is started from inittab. The script does the following 1.Comment the process entry from inittab. 2."init q" 3.replace the old executable with the new one 4.Uncomment the entry in initttab 5.init q Now... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: soorajmu
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Explain the line "mn_code=`env|grep "..mn"|awk -F"=" '{print $2}'`"

Hi Friends, Can any of you explain me about the below line of code? mn_code=`env|grep "..mn"|awk -F"=" '{print $2}'` Im not able to understand, what exactly it is doing :confused: Any help would be useful for me. Lokesha (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Lokesha
4 Replies

3. Solaris

How to resolve error "INIT: Cannot stat /etc/inittab, errno: 2"

Hi All, I am getting an error message when I execute command “zlogin -C sunsrv4z5” on my root server. INIT: Cannot stat /etc/inittab, errno: 2 INIT: Cannot stat /etc/inittab, errno: 2 As per my analysis it seems that some files inside /etc folder are deleted. This server was... (14 Replies)
Discussion started by: surbhit4u
14 Replies

4. Red Hat

INIT: cannot execute "/etc/X11/prefdm"

Hi I tried the following but no joy! Inserted the linux installation cd.. ( rescue mode)... tried chroot /mnt/sysimage but I get chroot: cannot execute /bin/sh Checked the permission on /bin and it was set to ?r--rw-rx tried to do chmod –R 755 but got error operation not permitted ...... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: halacil
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk command to replace ";" with "|" and ""|" at diferent places in line of file

Hi, I have line in input file as below: 3G_CENTRAL;INDONESIA_(M)_TELKOMSEL;SPECIAL_WORLD_GRP_7_FA_2_TELKOMSEL My expected output for line in the file must be : "1-Radon1-cMOC_deg"|"LDIndex"|"3G_CENTRAL|INDONESIA_(M)_TELKOMSEL"|LAST|"SPECIAL_WORLD_GRP_7_FA_2_TELKOMSEL" Can someone... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: shis100
7 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Using "mailx" command to read "to" and "cc" email addreses from input file

How to use "mailx" command to do e-mail reading the input file containing email address, where column 1 has name and column 2 containing “To” e-mail address and column 3 contains “cc” e-mail address to include with same email. Sample input file, email.txt Below is an sample code where... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: asjaiswal
2 Replies

7. Solaris

ZFS: /system/zones "respawning" on rpool

Hi, I have this fresh installation of Solaris 11.3 sparc. I have two zfs pools both using two disks in mirroring mode, both are online. I want to move /system/zones, currently rpool/VARSHARE/zones, from rpool to the other zfs pool so my zones don't consume space on the disks allocated to... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: X96
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash script - Print an ascii file using specific font "Latin Modern Mono 12" "regular" "9"

Hello. System : opensuse leap 42.3 I have a bash script that build a text file. I would like the last command doing : print_cmd -o page-left=43 -o page-right=22 -o page-top=28 -o page-bottom=43 -o font=LatinModernMono12:regular:9 some_file.txt where : print_cmd ::= some printing... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jcdole
1 Replies

9. AIX

Apache 2.4 directory cannot display "Last modified" "Size" "Description"

Hi 2 all, i have had AIX 7.2 :/# /usr/IBMAHS/bin/apachectl -v Server version: Apache/2.4.12 (Unix) Server built: May 25 2015 04:58:27 :/#:/# /usr/IBMAHS/bin/apachectl -M Loaded Modules: core_module (static) so_module (static) http_module (static) mpm_worker_module (static) ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: penchev
3 Replies
REBOOT(8)						    BSD System Manager's Manual 						 REBOOT(8)

NAME
reboot, poweroff, halt -- restarting, powering down and stopping the system SYNOPSIS
halt [-dlnpqvxz] poweroff [-dlnqvxz] reboot [-dlnqvxz] [arg ...] DESCRIPTION
The poweroff, halt and reboot utilities flush the file system cache to disk, send all running processes a SIGTERM, wait for up to 30 seconds for them to die, send a SIGKILL to the survivors and, respectively, power down, halt or restart the system. The action is logged, including entering a shutdown record into the login accounting file and sending a message via syslog(3). The options are as follows: -d Create a dump before halting or restarting. This option is useful for debugging system dump procedures or capturing the state of a corrupted or misbehaving system. -l Suppress sending a message via syslog(3) before halting or restarting. -n Do not flush the file system cache. This option should be used with extreme caution. It can be used if a disk or a processor is on fire. -p Attempt to powerdown the system. If the powerdown fails, or the system does not support software powerdown, the system will halt. This option is only valid for halt. -v To enable verbose messages on the console, pass the boothowto(9) flag AB_VERBOSE to reboot(2). -x To enable debugging messages on the console, pass the boothowto(9) flag AB_DEBUG to reboot(2). -z To silence some shutdown messages on the console, pass the boothowto(9) flag AB_SILENT to reboot(2). -q Do not give processes a chance to shut down before halting or restarting. This option should not normally be used. If there are any arguments passed to reboot they are concatenated with spaces and passed as bootstr to the reboot(2) system call. The string is passed to the firmware on platforms that support it. Normally, the shutdown(8) utility is used when the system needs to be halted or restarted, giving users advance warning of their impending doom. SEE ALSO
reboot(2), syslog(3), utmp(5), boot(8), init(8), rescue(8), shutdown(8), sync(8) HISTORY
A reboot command appeared in Version 6 AT&T UNIX. The poweroff command first appeared in NetBSD 1.5. CAVEATS
Once the command has begun its work, stopping it before it completes will probably result in a system so crippled it must be physically reset. To prevent premature termination, the command blocks many signals early in its execution. However, nothing can defend against delib- erate attempts to evade this. This command will stop the system without running any shutdown(8) scripts. Amongst other things, this means that swapping will not be dis- abled so that raid(4) can shutdown cleanly. You should normally use shutdown(8) unless you are running in single user mode. BUGS
The single user shell will ignore the SIGTERM signal. To avoid waiting for the timeout when rebooting or halting from the single user shell, you have to exec reboot or exec halt. BSD
February 16, 2011 BSD