Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting how to get only filename in a recursively find command Post 302510406 by jao_madn on Sunday 3rd of April 2011 06:26:21 PM
Old 04-03-2011
how to get only filename in a recursively find command

Hi i would like to ask on how to accomplish the FF:

I want to execute a find command recursively and only get the filename something like i want only the last field set if is used ever the fieldvset as an redirection from the output of the find command

For example:

dir1/dir2/filename1
dir1/filename2
dir1/dir2/dir3/filename3
and so on

Output
filename1
filename2
filename3
filename...

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

search for hardlinks based on filename via find command

I am using command substitution into a find command in a script where I have built a menu to do a bunch of tasks within my unix account. When I choose the options for to find a file/files that have the same inode of the entered filename, ie hardlinks, nothing shows up. When I choose the appropiate... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: hunternjb
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

remove special characters from filename recursively

hi: i have several thousand files from users and of course they use all kind of characters on filenames. I have things like: My special report (1999 ) Lisa & Jack's work.doc crazy. How do I remove all this characters in the current dir and subdirs too? Thanks. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: jason7
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Howto get only filename from find command in Linux?

Hi every body! I would like to get only filename in the result of find command in Linux but I don't know howto. Tks so much for your helps. (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: nguyendu0102
5 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Only filename from find command

Hi All When we use find command command in Unix we get the result as /home/user/folder/filename1 /home/user/folder/filename2 /home/user/folder/filename3 Is it possible that i only get the file name The expected output when using find command is filename1 filename2 filename3 I am... (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: parthmittal2007
13 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Recursively cat files in a directory with filename printed first.

I want to recursively cat the content of files in a directory e.g. find /etc -type f -exec cat {} \; But I want it to print the file name first and then the content. For example let's say /etc/statetab and /etc/colord.conf will be printed first then I want the output to look something like; ... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: lewk
6 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Find command not searching recursively

I'm searching for particular scripts that contain pattern "BASIS" so I used the following command: find . -type f -print | xargs grep "BASIS" or find . -type f -exec grep "BASIS" {} \; However, I found out that the find command in the UNIX box that I'm working on doesn't find files... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: The Gamemaster
6 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Find command error having space in filename

Hi, I am working in solaris.I am using below script to copy the files from /usr/tmp to /usr/gm But while running this it is not considering the files list after the filename having space in them. Example:- compile_custom_pll.sh conv_data_sqlload.sh conv_sqlload.sh Copy of... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: millan
5 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Print filename/dir name while executing aclput using find command

Running below command , but unable to print the filename , is there way to print filename/dirname using -print option find . -type f -exec aclput -i fileacl.template {} \; (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: lalitpct
5 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

How can I use find command to search string/pattern in a file recursively?

Hi, How can I use find command to search string/pattern in a file recursively? What I tried: find . -type f -exec cat {} | grep "make" \; Output: grep: find: ;: No such file or directory missing argument to `-exec' And this: find . -type f -exec cat {} \; -exec grep "make" {} \;... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: cola
12 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Find command with Metacharacter (*) Should match exact filename

Hi, Below is list of files in my directory. -rw-rw-r--. 1 Roots Roots 0 Dec 26 06:58 12345_kms_report.csv -rw-rw-r--. 1 Roots Roots 0 Dec 26 06:59 12346_kms_report.csv -rw-rw-r--. 1 Roots Roots 0 Dec 26 06:59 12347_kms_report.csv -rw-rw-r--. 1 Roots Roots 0 Dec 26 06:59... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Balraj
2 Replies
bdiff(1)							   User Commands							  bdiff(1)

NAME
bdiff - big diff SYNOPSIS
bdiff filename1 filename2 [n] [-s] DESCRIPTION
bdiff is used in a manner analogous to diff to find which lines in filename1 and filename2 must be changed to bring the files into agree- ment. Its purpose is to allow processing of files too large for diff. If filename1 (filename2) is -, the standard input is read. bdiff ignores lines common to the beginning of both files, splits the remainder of each file into n-line segments, and invokes diff on cor- responding segments. If both optional arguments are specified, they must appear in the order indicated above. The output of bdiff is exactly that of diff, with line numbers adjusted to account for the segmenting of the files (that is, to make it look as if the files had been processed whole). Note: Because of the segmenting of the files, bdiff does not necessarily find a smallest sufficient set of file differences. OPTIONS
n The number of line segments. The value of n is 3500 by default. If the optional third argument is given and it is numeric, it is used as the value for n. This is useful in those cases in which 3500-line segments are too large for diff, causing it to fail. -s Specifies that no diagnostics are to be printed by bdiff (silent option). Note: However, this does not suppress possible diagnos- tic messages from diff, which bdiff calls. USAGE
See largefile(5) for the description of the behavior of bdiff when encountering files greater than or equal to 2 Gbyte ( 2**31 bytes). FILES
/tmp/bd????? ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWesu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |CSI |enabled | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
diff(1), attributes(5), largefile(5) DIAGNOSTICS
Use help for explanations. SunOS 5.10 14 Sep 1992 bdiff(1)