Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting How to strip '$' sign on the line Post 302509454 by Chubler_XL on Wednesday 30th of March 2011 09:35:34 PM
Old 03-30-2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by zam
echo "dddd$dddd"|sed 's/$//' will return dddd
echo "dddd$ddd"|tr -d '$' will return dddd

I need to replace it with any other character or just live a blank space instead

Thank you!
Problem is shell is replacing $ddd with contents of ENV var ddd before string even gets to sed (or awk):

Code:
$ ddd=OOps!
$ echo "dddd$ddd"
ddddOOps!
$ echo 'dddd$ddd'
dddd$ddd

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Sign on/Sign off logging script

I'd like to make a script that I can execute every time I sign on to my linux box that keeps track of the time and allows to me to add a remark to a file. So basically once I log in, I run the script, and it outputs the date and time to a text file (log.txt). But that isn't my problem. I need... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Glider
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need to strip a string

I have a file that looks like this: /home/fred/opt/bin /opt/usr/bin /usr/sbin/var/opt I need a way to chop of everything after the last occurance of the / sign including the /. So the file above will now look like this below. /home/fred/opt /opt/usr /usr/sbin/var I tried using... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: x96riley3
6 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

how do i strip this line using perl regex.

I have a variable dynamically generated $batch = /dataload/R3P/interface/Bowne/reports/RDI00244.rpt Now I'd like to strip '/dataload/R3P/interface/Bowne/reports/RDI' and '.rpt' from this variable my output should be only 00244 how to do this using perl regex.I'm a newbie to perl and would... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ramky79
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Strip one line from 2 blank lines in a file

Hi Is there any command to scan thru a file looking for 2 consecutive blank lines and if any remove one of them. Please let me know. Regards, Tipsy (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: tipsy
6 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

strip carriage return & append next line

Hello everyone, I am trying to search a file for lines that start with 'ip:' and have a carriage return after(ip:$). I then want to remove the carriage return from that line and append the next line in the file to the line containing 'ip'. I tried doing this with SED, but had no luck. Any... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: vada010
3 Replies

6. HP-UX

Typing the @ sign creates new line.

Whenever I type the @ sign like for example when using a proxy ftp server, The system forces the cursor to jump to a new line. I know it has something to do with the terminal settings. How can I get this to stop and more importantly, how can I modify my profile to set this up whenever I login? ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ricnetman
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash command line to strip tar.gz file extension?

What's the command syntax for stripping out the tar.gz file extension in a bash command line (not script file). Thanks! prompt/> ls *.tar.gz | <what comes here?> (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ZillaG
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Moving line up if line starts with + sign.

Hello everyone, I'm struggling with this command: awk '!/^\+/{ORS=FS}/^\+/{ORS=RS}1' file1 > file2 What I want to do is to move any line that starts with the + sign 1 up, so its the continuation of the previous. The above command is messing the whole output, can you please let me know... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: demmel
8 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed - How to replace right part of equal sign (=) on a line

Hello. Using a bash script , I have a variable name for the file I want to modify FILE_TO_EDIT="/etc/my_config_file"And I have a variable name for the parameter to change PARAMETER="fallback_node" PARAMETER_NEW_VALUE="http://my_server_name.com/new_path" A config file may contain : 1°)... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jcdole
2 Replies
Time::ParseDate(3pm)					User Contributed Perl Documentation				      Time::ParseDate(3pm)

NAME
Time::ParseDate -- date parsing both relative and absolute SYNOPSIS
use Time::ParseDate; $seconds_since_jan1_1970 = parsedate("12/11/94 2pm", NO_RELATIVE => 1) $seconds_since_jan1_1970 = parsedate("12/11/94 2pm", %options) OPTIONS
Date parsing can also use options. The options are as follows: FUZZY -> it's okay not to parse the entire date string NOW -> the "current" time for relative times (defaults to time()) ZONE -> local timezone (defaults to $ENV{TZ}) WHOLE -> the whole input string must be parsed GMT -> input time is assumed to be GMT, not localtime UK -> prefer UK style dates (dd/mm over mm/dd) DATE_REQUIRED -> do not default the date TIME_REQUIRED -> do not default the time NO_RELATIVE -> input time is not relative to NOW TIMEFIRST -> try parsing time before date [not default] PREFER_PAST -> when year or day of week is ambiguous, assume past PREFER_FUTURE -> when year or day of week is ambiguous, assume future SUBSECOND -> parse fraction seconds VALIDATE -> only accept normal values for HHMMSS, YYMMDD. Otherwise days like -1 might give the last day of the previous month. DATE FORMATS RECOGNIZED
Absolute date formats Dow, dd Mon yy Dow, dd Mon yyyy Dow, dd Mon dd Mon yy dd Mon yyyy Month day{st,nd,rd,th}, year Month day{st,nd,rd,th} Mon dd yyyy yyyy/mm/dd yyyy-mm-dd (usually the best date specification syntax) yyyy/mm mm/dd/yy mm/dd/yyyy mm/yy yy/mm (only if year > 12, or > 31 if UK) yy/mm/dd (only if year > 12 and day < 32, or year > 31 if UK) dd/mm/yy (only if UK, or an invalid mm/dd/yy or yy/mm/dd) dd/mm/yyyy (only if UK, or an invalid mm/dd/yyyy) dd/mm (only if UK, or an invalid mm/dd) Relative date formats: count "days" count "weeks" count "months" count "years" Dow "after next" Dow "before last" Dow (requires PREFER_PAST or PREFER_FUTURE) "next" Dow "tomorrow" "today" "yesterday" "last" dow "last week" "now" "now" "+" count units "now" "-" count units "+" count units "-" count units count units "ago" Absolute time formats: hh:mm:ss[.ddd] hh:mm hh:mm[AP]M hh[AP]M hhmmss[[AP]M] "noon" "midnight" Relative time formats: count "minutes" (count can be franctional "1.5" or "1 1/2") count "seconds" count "hours" "+" count units "+" count "-" count units "-" count count units "ago" Timezone formats: [+-]dddd GMT[+-]d+ [+-]dddd (TZN) TZN Special formats: [ d]d/Mon/yyyy:hh:mm:ss [[+-]dddd] yy/mm/dd.hh:mm DESCRIPTION
This module recognizes the above date/time formats. Usually a date and a time are specified. There are numerous options for controlling what is recognized and what is not. The return code is always the time in seconds since January 1st, 1970 or undef if it was unable to parse the time. If a timezone is specified it must be after the time. Year specifications can be tacked onto the end of absolute times. If "parsedate()" is called from array context, then it will return two elements. On sucessful parses, it will return the seconds and what remains of its input string. On unsucessful parses, it will return "undef" and an error string. EXAMPLES
$seconds = parsedate("Mon Jan 2 04:24:27 1995"); $seconds = parsedate("Tue Apr 4 00:22:12 PDT 1995"); $seconds = parsedate("04.04.95 00:22", ZONE => PDT); $seconds = parsedate("Jan 1 1999 11:23:34.578", SUBSECOND => 1); $seconds = parsedate("122212 950404", ZONE => PDT, TIMEFIRST => 1); $seconds = parsedate("+3 secs", NOW => 796978800); $seconds = parsedate("2 months", NOW => 796720932); $seconds = parsedate("last Tuesday"); $seconds = parsedate("Sunday before last"); ($seconds, $remaining) = parsedate("today is the day"); ($seconds, $error) = parsedate("today is", WHOLE=>1); LICENSE
Copyright (C) 1996-2010 David Muir Sharnoff. Copyright (C) 2011 Google, Inc. License hereby granted for anyone to use, modify or redistribute this module at their own risk. Please feed useful changes back to cpan@dave.sharnoff.org. perl v5.12.3 2011-05-20 Time::ParseDate(3pm)